New vote no page ADMIN

anHOURover

In 2 of the last 3 locals the local leadership was against the members. Coming to all buildings and spewing out the hoffa/hall LIES... It was all a game that they were losing and in the end the did the unthinkable... There was no legit 2 man... These elected officers don't go against the grain and do whatever hoffa/hall tell them to do! They don't give a crap how their members vote!!

Overpaid Union Thug

That was the rationale behind it but I'm not quite sure there was any extensive polling of the members or any legitimate attempts to improve those supplements. Disclaimer: I'm just a steward and don't know if the leaders of those locals were negotiating "in bad faith" and were going to try and hold out for a re-opening of the CBA. I know there was some chatter about the hold out locals getting significant improvements over the areas that voted their supplements in on the first round, but that vanished as soon as the supplements were implemented.

Regardless, the IBT Executive Board amended the IBT Constitution in order to impose the contract. This was an unprecedented move that could easily be interpreted as a corrupt one.
What was the amendment? We weren't told they added anything. We were only told that they used article 21 (I'm probably wrong) because it dealt with the situation. I looked it up and it seemed to be legit. I have no idea if it was added right before the move though.

The only ones that said that was the international.

Local 89, at least amoung the 3 locals, had some real issues besides health care.

All that got thrown away when the international imposed their contract on them.
During the negotiations for the first round of the supplement getting bogged down s was demanding paid cel phones for all his member and to be paid once the reached the parking lot. These are just some of his demands.

ezmoney5150

Right to vote on a contract. They have no problem taking my dues money.....little hint. They are supposed tonwork for us.
So how long should that politcal game go on? Till UPS loses customers and members get laid off? The E Board had the right to do it and they did. If you don't like it change the Constitution. I think they did the right thing.

So how long should that politcal game go on? Till UPS loses customers and members get laid off? The E Board had the right to do it and they did. If you don't like it change the Constitution. I think they did the right thing.
What they did was give UPS more leverage. They will put out a few crumbs to get the next contract to pass. Then lowball everyone else dragging their heels waiting for another impasse.

The damage is done.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
During the negotiations for the first round of the supplement getting bogged down s was demanding paid cel phones for all his member and to be paid once the reached the parking lot. These are just some of his demands.
And who are you to tell him anything when it comes to his negotiations with the company?

You support your union brothers when they are in negotiations.

You don't stab them in the back, and say that they are asking for too much.

It's not your place.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
As long as it takes to settle with those locals.

I can't believe you asked such a question.

ezmoney5150

What they did was give UPS more leverage. They will put out a few crumbs to get the next contract to pass. Then lowball everyone else dragging their heels waiting for another impasse.

The damage is done.
In typical fashion no answer. How long should it have been dragged out? and How many should have been laid off?

T

Turdferguson

In typical fashion no answer. How long should it have been dragged out? and How many should have been laid off?
Not laid off. If need be a strike. Should have been negotiated unil our members got either what they want or at least given an opportunity to vote.

ezmoney5150

Why even bother voting on a contract. Let's just accept what they offer next time.

That's pretty much how you sound.

When a local that has 9000 people (Local 89) can hold up a contract for the rest of the 500,000 members for political reasons then there's obviously a dysfunction. Thats not democracy it's extorsion.