New year...new UPS

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Technically designated walkways is a yard control rule... not a method from what I understand
I was trained to Stay on Designated Walkways as part of the Delivery Methods. It may be different elsewhere. It's safer than cutting thru yards,and you dont run the risk of angering the homeowner

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was trained to Stay on Designated Walkways as part of the Delivery Methods. It may be different elsewhere. It's safer than cutting thru yards,and you dont run the risk of angering the homeowner

Guess what I got ?

A copy of Inside UPS with the safety committee, demonstrating the whole

issue of what is considered a "safe walk path".

It ain't cutting through someones yard. :biggrin:

I'm still waiting to use it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
[QUOTE="BigUnionGuy, post: 3904644, member: 4992’’]

A 3 day ride isn't harassment.

The reason drivers get multiple 3 day rides, is their performance and sporh

greatly increase while a supe is on the car. That's what happened to Rob A.[/QUOTE]
What about the scenario I pointed out where the company selectively manipulates the ODO percentage in order to deliberately cripple the driver when he is alone versus turning RDO back on during production rides in order to boost his SPORH?
Has there been any negotiation with the union over disciplune and ORION that you are aware of?
I am filing an ART 37 grievance over ODO next week and I am curious if there have been any rulings or understandings in other areas.

Last edited:

soberups

View attachment 230966

I was driving this old spare car one day. I have never seen the third seat used, but here is one. The seat back is on the bulkhead door, the seat bottom itself was frozen on it's track. The first time I ever drove a package car it didn't have a jump seat. The supervisor stood up and hung on in that P-600.
In 1988 I had a production ride with my on car sup and center manager at the same time.
It was in a 50’s vintage P-600 with wooden shelves and no passenger seat.
My sup stood on the passenger step holding the grab rail and my center manager stood in the back, hanging onto both shelves with the bulkhead door open.
I could have saved myself and a lot of other drivers a lot of grief by just stomping on the brakes at 55mph....

pkgdriver

View attachment 230966

I was driving this old spare car one day. I have never seen the third seat used, but here is one. The seat back is on the bulkhead door, the seat bottom itself was frozen on it's track. The first time I ever drove a package car it didn't have a jump seat. The supervisor stood up and hung on in that P-600.

As of a few months ago we had one in the center also.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What about the scenario I pointed out where the company selectively manipulates the ODO percentage in order to deliberately cripple the driver when he is alone versus turning RDO back on during production rides in order to boost his SPORH?

Documentation.... is everything.

Targeting veteran or older drivers, never works out for the company.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
[QUOTE="BigUnionGuy, post: 3904644, member: 4992’’]

A 3 day ride isn't harassment.

The reason drivers get multiple 3 day rides, is their performance and sporh

greatly increase while a supe is on the car. That's what happened to Rob A.
Has there been any negotiation with the union over disciplune and ORION that you are aware of?
I am filing an ART 37 grievance over ODO next week and I am curious if there have been any rulings or understandings in other areas.[/QUOTE]

You’d think the IBT would have an accessible data base for this very thing

Keyword being “accessible “

soberups

Documentation.... is everything.

Targeting veteran or older drivers, never works out for the company.
I can photograph my load and document the number of stops and pieces and any delays or unusual add/cuts if I am being ridden with and targeted for production.
But I have no way of knowing or documenting the adjustments that are made to ORION on any given day.
They can literally make your job impossible by scrambling ODO to the point where you can no longer funtion or follow any methods.
Which, by the way, is why next week I will be filing a grievance over the company’s refusal to turn RDO back on for my route

El Correcto

god is dead
They are going to have to hire more on roads to do that many ride alongs everyone is over allowed.

If they try to pick and choose I’d document the list they post with production numbers and highlight retaliation for union activity as a reason for them choosing you for the ride alongs.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I can photograph my load and document the number of stops and pieces and any delays or unusual add/cuts if I am being ridden with and targeted for production.
But I have no way of knowing or documenting the adjustments that are made to ORION on any given day.
They can literally make your job impossible by scrambling ODO to the point where you can no longer funtion or follow any methods.
Which, by the way, is why next week I will be filing a grievance over the company’s refusal to turn RDO back on for my route

I'm not sure.... what you think the contract violation is ?

542thruNthru

Under what article will you be filing under?

soberups

Under what article will you be filing under?
Article 37 oversupervision, and also past practice.
We are required to follow established 340 methods and do our job in a manner that best represents the interest of the company.
Forced ORION compliance makes following the methods physically impossible. I have 68 pages of 340 methods printed out and I have highlighted literally dozens of them that directly conflict with ORION.
Being given conflicting instructions, under threat of discipline, is over-supervision. If I violate methods and deliberately waste time and add miles in order to follow ORION, I could be fired.
The company has a past practice in my building of turning ODO off because they know it does not work. *This is a working condition that they have unilaterally and negatively altered* without any negotiation with the union.
They know ORION does not work on my route because they have instructed me not to use it, and to use my area knowledge and proper methods in order to service the packages and minimze miles.
But by intentionally hiding RDO from me and intentionally scrambling the manifest in order to cripple my ability to function, they make it impossible to do the very thing they require me to do.
That is the very definition of over supervision and harassment.
They have the right to leave it on and instruct me to follow it 100%, but only if I am absolved of any responsibility for the resulting service failures and methods violations, which of course they will not do.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
37, and past practice which I need to look up.

Your response to @542thruNthru is a well thought out line of attack.

(no surprise there)

If for some reason, you really feel you are being "targeted" by their threats

of discipline in order to get rid of older drivers.... another option is always

contacting your state civil rights commission and the EEOC on the basis of

age discrimination. You might be surprised how effective that can be.

BUCN85

So what can they use as an excuse for a production ride? Just for the hell of it. For example say a scratch driver has a bad day and they run 30 mins late 1 day and it pisses management off because they didn’t meet whatever 9.5 or other metric management tries to make. Can they just schedule you for a ride. Or do you need multiple over allowed days?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So what can they use as an excuse for a production ride? Just for the hell of it. For example say a scratch driver has a bad day and they run 30 mins late 1 day and it pisses management off because they didn’t meet whatever 9.5 or other metric management tries to make. Can they just schedule you for a ride. Or do you need multiple over allowed days?
Wgaf..... they can come out for anything.... I’ve seen them ojs bonus drivers who have had too many customer complaints....please tell me you aren’t a 20 year driver....smfh

BUCN85

Wgaf..... they can come out for anything.... I’ve seen them ojs bonus drivers who have had too many customer complaints....please tell me you aren’t a 20 year driver....smfh
I’m just asking for general knowledge. I haven’t been spoken too about a ride. But the buzz around our center is they are giving everybody rides and I just want to know if they can do that on the basis on nothing.