Newest Amazon delivery trucks

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
The op's link to those green Amazon food delivery step vans were out a couple of years ago, before the blue Amazon DSP delivery vans. Although I never saw them in my area at all...

But for somebody else to pick out your cantaloupe, lettuce, ground beef, etc and deliver it to you is nuts
giphy.gif

blueapron.jpg

giphy.gif

hellofresh-meal-kit-box.jpg

giphy.gif

madness-box.jpg

giphy.gif

NutsBoxes.jpeg

Last edited:

MattM

I agree. Could the end goal be to simply shut down local brick & mortar stores forcing consumers to shop online exclusively?
Simple concept. Total wine comes to town and the little guys can’t compete. They shut down. What were good prices now have rates hiked up back to where the little guys were. It’s the same with Walmart’s. Soon there will be no competition for amazon for online purchases. When that happens, prices no longer need to be competitive.

Video rental stores are in the same vein. There’s nothing left and now these guys can charge $3.99 for a 30 year old movie. Those same movies were $0.99 at Hastings and blockbuster.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Snow? Automatic EC, absolutely no chances

EC for snow is for rookies. I love to EC when it's 90, sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and not a storm within 2000 miles. Explaining to the receiver that their pkg was missed delayed due to adverse weather is priceless. I always like to tell them that somewhere in Kuala Lumpur there was an anomaly that caused the weather exception.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The shipping costs are hidden in the price. They have to use the words "free shipping" to make the purchase more appealing.
A printed t-shirt costs them $4, shipping costs $4, another $1 for "overhead costs". They make a grand profit of $1.
Profit is profit in this world, $1 times a billion transactions is a billion dollars.

I understand that, but if they have been able to show any kind of profit at all, it will have been at least partly due to shippers like USPS shipping for them at a loss, and UPS shipping for them at an extremely thin margin, if any. Amazon thinks they can control their shipping costs by starting their own service, all that means is they will be cutting out the other companies who have been eating a loss for them. Everyone thinks UPS is doomed, maybe, but it isn't due to Amazon shipping.

I agree. Could the end goal be to simply shut down local brick & mortar stores forcing consumers to shop online exclusively?

If you've followed what's been happening, you'd know that many of the brick and mortar stores have finally gotten their heads out their butts and are starting to put the pressure on Amazon for online sales. Amazon is starting to realize they need physical locations for people to go and pick up their orders as part of their strategy to get stuff to people as fast as possible. The problem is, the brick and mortars figured that out too, and they are already way ahead in that aspect. So, no, Amazon is not as dominant as everyone seems to believe. They have their competitors, and they are feeling the squeeze.

Skull_Leader

Amazon seems to have a one track mind. Finding new ways to do stuff, for free, for people that they should do for themselves is not going to work forever. Delivery is not free, and Amazon has done fine so far spreading out the costs to everyone else. They will eventually run out of people willing to shoulder that burden for them.

They're not paying their drivers the way UPS is, tho. nor do they offer the same benefits. No union to fight against. They might be able to compete on that alone

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They're not paying their drivers the way UPS is, tho. nor do they offer the same benefits. No union to fight against. They might be able to compete on that alone

I was glossing over their delivery service model for brevity. As of now they are mostly, if not entirely, using contractors. But Amazon is calling all the shots, making it next to impossible for the contractors to make a profit, and by all accounts it's turning out to be a disaster. They will eventually run out of people stupid enough to throw their money into the Amazon pit, and either have to abandon the idea, or take it in house and finally learn that delivery is, in fact, not free. At least that's my take on it. Let me ask you, if UPS can compensate its employees so well and still profit as much as they do, why do the others have to cheat their employees?

FromOffTheStreets

Let me ask you, if UPS can compensate its employees so well and still profit as much as they do, why do the others have to cheat their employees?
Because ups offers a service to take a product to a person's doorstep. It doesn't take unprofitable packages(most of the time).
Amazon owns the product and to be competitive or undercut a local businesses price must get it to a person's doorstep for very little $.