Newish PT supervisor, looking for advice

BestMgrEver

Hot girl summer
Supervisors can't fire anyone so get off your high horse. Everyone here knows even if the company did fire an employee for turning the belt off, the termination wouldn't stick. The employee would be back with full back pay. And if I was that employee the center would be getting a lot of visits from OSHA :)

Termination sticked. 2 hearings for that dude and never could get his job back. Sabotage falls under dishonesty. I would love for you to test it out since you're so confident. Inside supervision is way to easy. On road is where it's at. My talents are used very well here.

542thruNthru

i hope this is a joke because it's about lame as it gets. "i am instructing to to not shut off the belt" Ok let everything go right on by.... packages falling off the belt......I was concerned about egress safety issues.

Dude you would have a stack of grievances so far up your ass in the first week at my building it's not even funny.

I loved the part about "sabotaging" the operation! Lol

542thruNthru

These cute lil sups can get so creative sometimes.

giphy-11.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This is exactly how to get an entire sort against you. We have a few like this, and it's a :censored2: show. People aren't motivated by negativity and lack of respect. I get UPS wants long-timers to hate their jobs on a macro scale, but on the micro it is less effective
Ahh the beauty of being a PT sup.. I sometimes miss it. Union employees are the enemy and should be treated as such. You're only as powerful as your fulltime supervisor. You're only as powerful as your knowledge about the union about their rights. If you're looking into a career into management, obtain a union book and read it. Either that or find a coworker who knows it inside and out so you can know your dos and don't. If you're trying to deal with a veteran and have full knowledge about the union contract, it's easy to get them to comply. For example you mentioned how some guys turn off the sort belts for extra time. I can see that. Counter that with "I am instructing you to not turn off the belt unless a safety concern is present." If you find no safety concern when they turn off the belt the next time, you can get them with sabotaging the operation. Know who the union reps in your area are and use them. 1 minute late, write them up. ANC write them up. It's so many things you can do to make your operation better that don't involve having to take 'classes' or whatever when you can simply educate yourself on the contract and get them where it hurts.

BestMgrEver

Hot girl summer
This is exactly how to get an entire sort against you. We have a few like this, and it's a :censored2: show. People aren't motivated by negativity and lack of respect. I get UPS wants long-timers to hate their jobs on a macro scale, but on the micro it is less effective
The great thing about being in management is that you can single out a person and make their life a living hell. I used people an example and other people saw what was happening and acted like a decent employee. Still do in delivery. Like Friday, I took bulk stops off of a downtown driver and put resis on his route because he complained so much. I heard he had to go to his sons pratice that day. Such a shame he came in 930.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ahh the beauty of being a PT sup.. I sometimes miss it. Union employees are the enemy and should be treated as such. You're only as powerful as your fulltime supervisor. You're only as powerful as your knowledge about the union about their rights. If you're looking into a career into management, obtain a union book and read it. Either that or find a coworker who knows it inside and out so you can know your dos and don't. If you're trying to deal with a veteran and have full knowledge about the union contract, it's easy to get them to comply. For example you mentioned how some guys turn off the sort belts for extra time. I can see that. Counter that with "I am instructing you to not turn off the belt unless a safety concern is present." If you find no safety concern when they turn off the belt the next time, you can get them with sabotaging the operation. Know who the union reps in your area are and use them. 1 minute late, write them up. ANC write them up. It's so many things you can do to make your operation better that don't involve having to take 'classes' or whatever when you can simply educate yourself on the contract and get them where it hurts.

If you want to create an adversarial environment, follow this advice. Each individual is the person most responsible for his or her safety, you do not get to override their safety concerns. They do not have to work at the pace you want them to, so you are better off getting their cooperation through mutual respect.

Find the ones who want a little extra time, and the ones who want to get out as quick as possible, and figure out the best way to accommodate each. Do let them know you will not tolerate intentional sabotage, but work with them to find solutions to actual problems that may be the cause of operational slow-downs. Show them loyalty, and earn theirs.

542thruNthru

The great thing about being in management is that you can single out a person and make their life a living hell. I used people an example and other people saw what was happening and acted like a decent employee. Still do in delivery. Like Friday, I took bulk stops off of a downtown driver and put resis on his route because he complained so much. I heard he had to go to his sons pratice that day. Such a shame he came in 930.
tenor-6.gif

Rack em

Made the Podium
This guy is hilarious. A for effort on the made up stories.

542thruNthru

Eh it's your numbers tough guy lol. You're a joke, its hilarious.

BestMgrEver

Hot girl summer
If you want to create an adversarial environment, follow this advice. Each individual is the person most responsible for his or her safety, you do not get to override their safety concerns. They do not have to work at the pace you want them to, so you are better off getting their cooperation through mutual respect.

Find the ones who want a little extra time, and the ones who want to get out as quick as possible, and figure out the best way to accommodate each. Do let them know you will not tolerate intentional sabotage, but work with them to find solutions to actual problems that may be the cause of operational slow-downs. Show them loyalty, and earn theirs.

This is how you get ran over. But follow advice from non management people if you never want to advance. ✌️ Going to sleep folks. Have an operation to run in 6 hours.