Newly hired- Driver-(from Canada)

I am a successful candidate for the courier driver (full time) position, after going through the interview, driving test :happy-very: and the medical. I begin orientation next Monday.

Calling all UPS drivers/employees im open to some pointers that will help me do a good job. What are some of those pointers?

also my main question is how do drivers navigate? GPS?

DS

Fenderbender
I am a successful candidate for the courier driver (full time) position, after going through the interview, driving test :happy-very: and the medical. I begin orientation next Monday.

Calling all UPS drivers/employees im open to some pointers that will help me do a good job. What are some of those pointers?

Welcome to the BrownCafe NBE.I'm a 23 yr ft driver in Toronto.
No GPS.Your deliveries and pickups will be in a small area.
A mapbook is a good idea for finding small residential streets.
Expect to lose a few pounds,and prepare for a daily workout.
You will be expected to do around 90 deliveries and 30 pickups
EVERY day.This job is not for the faint of heart.
Where do you live?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Welcome to the BrownCafe NBE.I'm a 23 yr ft driver in Toronto.
No GPS.Your deliveries and pickups will be in a small area.
A mapbook is a good idea for finding small residential streets.
Expect to lose a few pounds,and prepare for a daily workout.
You will be expected to do around 90 deliveries and 30 pickups
EVERY day.This job is not for the faint of heart.
Where do you live?
Umm unless Canada is totally different routes can vary big time. One route you may be expected to do 200 stops but on another 200 miles and only 70-80 stops. Maps are the way to go. Buy all you can and get them laminated wrap in rubber bands and just keep in your personal vehicle at all times.

Umm unless Canada is totally different routes can vary big time. One route you may be expected to do 200 stops but on another 200 miles and only 70-80 stops. Maps are the way to go. Buy all you can and get them laminated wrap in rubber bands and just keep in your personal vehicle at all times.

I am 23 years old too; in Edmonton. Oh thats what I thought they assign drivers to different zones of the city.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I will say if you spend the money to laminate your maps keep them on u all the time. Leave it out of your sight and it'll disappear quick I promise.

I will say if you spend the money to laminate your maps keep them on u all the time. Leave it out of your sight and it'll disappear quick I promise.

Yeah I think I will be doing this. What other good pointers are there? I kinda had a sigh of relief when they told me all of the trucks here are only automatic. While the driver's test the supervisor instructed me to always engage the parking brake while stopped in traffic, why is this so? (The truck I did the test on was so beat up the steering wasnt even aligned brakes had to go all way down to slow down the vehicle)

DS

Fenderbender
I am 23 years old too; in Edmonton.
I'm not 23,I've been a ups driver 23 years.The parking brake is one of about 300 methods
you will learn to do without thinking over time.I suggest you buy a "map art" map book with
large print.Chances are you will be working in several areas at first.

OptimusPrime

Yeah I think I will be doing this. What other good pointers are there? I kinda had a sigh of relief when they told me all of the trucks here are only automatic. While the driver's test the supervisor instructed me to always engage the parking brake while stopped in traffic, why is this so? (The truck I did the test on was so beat up the steering wasnt even aligned brakes had to go all way down to slow down the vehicle)

Some doom and gloom worst case scenario stuff. Basically that if you are struck from the rear, then the PC could roll forward and hit another vehicle, or even roll into an intersection. IMO it's all about limited liability, and placing as much blame on the driver as possible. Struck from the rear and the PC rolled and hit another vehicle without the parking brake set? Your fault. Oh the parking break was set? Still your fault, didn't have it properly adjusted. UPS is a weird animal. In a typical traffic accident, where all blame can be placed on driver A, the one who plowed into the back of someone, backed into a parked car, whatever, UPS is all about pinning all the blame on the driver. It's sad really.

klein

Für Meno :)
If your hired in the north center (westend), you are subject to downtown deliveries.
South side - you may be stuck with whyte and uni area (also awlful).

But hopefully, you'll get the out of towners, such as Leduc, Ft Sask, St Albert, Sherwood Park, etc.

when they hire you they jam a big GPS up your ass so you always know where you are.

If your hired in the north center (westend), you are subject to downtown deliveries.
South side - you may be stuck with whyte and uni area (also awlful).

But hopefully, you'll get the out of towners, such as Leduc, Ft Sask, St Albert, Sherwood Park, etc.

Its for the Westend location.. :D I could see how whyte ave and downtown deliveries would be painful; especially in rush hour.

klein

Its for the Westend location.. :D I could see how whyte ave and downtown deliveries would be painful; especially in rush hour.

Well, you'll be a drive along helper for about 2-3 weeks, and by then the shortage days of the year start (full darkness by 4pm), and every morning you'll be reporting to your supervisor, and you'll either get a spare UPS truck or even a rental van (from Budget or Penske), to help out in districts that have too much volume.

This can go on for up to a year or more (personally it took me only 3 months to bid on my own route succesfully). Depends on the turn-around of drivers.
I wish you luck - most newbies don't last long. (It's really not the best job out there).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Well, you'll be a drive along helper for about 2-3 weeks, and by then the shortage days of the year start (full darkness by 4pm), and every morning you'll be reporting to your supervisor, and you'll either get a spare UPS truck or even a rental van (from Budget or Penske), to help out in districts that have too much volume.

This can go on for up to a year or more (personally it took me only 3 months to bid on my own route succesfully). Depends on the turn-around of drivers.
I wish you luck - most newbies don't last long. (It's really not the best job out there).

Maybe things have changed since you haven't worked at UPS for , how many years now?

Speedy Cerviche

Don't expect any help or even acknowledgement from senior drivers. You're probably going to quit, so it isn't worth the time and effort to do things like learn your name.

Speaking of quitting, please quit right away or wait until after Christmas. Doing it after remembrance day really screws guys over.

DS

Fenderbender
Don't expect any help or even acknowledgement from senior drivers. You're probably going to quit, so it isn't worth the time and effort to do things like learn your name.
Speaking of quitting, please quit right away or wait until after Christmas. Doing it after remembrance day really screws guys over.
Are you speaking from experience,or is this just your way of trying to turn a positive thread negative?
A few of our guys (from Toronto)went to Edmonton to help out awhile back,and they said they all worked
together to get things done fairly.
The thing that would drive me crazy would be the getting dark at 4:00pm.
I HATE delivering in the dark,especially if you don't know the area.

klein

Are you speaking from experience,or is this just your way of trying to turn a positive thread negative?
A few of our guys (from Toronto)went to Edmonton to help out awhile back,and they said they all worked
together to get things done fairly.
The thing that would drive me crazy would be the getting dark at 4:00pm.
I HATE delivering in the dark,especially if you don't know the area.

I agree ! It's the worst time to start courier or other driving jobs.
The weekend after holloween we turn th clocks ahead, it will be dark by 5, and by mid Dec 4pm.
Add to that the blizzards, snowfall & (black)-ice and the deep freezings temperatures - totally yucky !