No bailout for Post Office

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Electric should be a consideration for their new fleet, whenever that'll come. Although it will take years to realize savings as the upfront costs will be much higher. Not only the high cost of the vehicle itself, but outfitting buildings to charge the whole fleet together each night.

You raise an important point on holidays. Because they are tied in with government guidelines regarding holidays, they get every single one off, while UPS/FedEx works most of them. How many hundreds of millions do they spend on paid minor holidays each year??
Millions, every time you turn around, there’s a new paid holiday Columbus Day, president s day, and taco day. Geezus that’s poor contract negotiating.

KingofFluff

Shove sideways dust bunny
3B8A44EB-8D60-4FC9-ADDD-1701CF9179C0.jpeg
AB664374-CBEF-4C5A-9DA1-FAB7E03E00F4.jpeg

rod

Retired 22 years
I still haven't got the mail out of my mailbox from Friday because I know it's nothing but junk mail. Once every 3 months I get my meds from the VA via USPS and that is the only time I watch my mailbox.

Mack37

It’s up to Congress to allow for an increase in postage (stamps/priority/whatever) as I’ve already said. USPS tries to close redundant stations but people will just cry to their representatives and we’re forced to keep them open. Tractors are pretty much all replaced now, trailers and vehicles for the carriers are next. Our uniform regulations are actually quite anal but some management doesn’t enforce them. RCA’s and CCA’s don’t have to wear uniforms. We only have ten holidays a year, I actually had more on the private side as I got off Black Friday, Good Friday etc etc

JL 0513

95% of my mail is junk, and that's the case for most people. If the Post Office died, we'd get by with some adjustments. All bills can be paperless. If the elderly aren't able to pay online, there are alternative ways. Does UPS & FedEx not deliver envelopes? If people and companies must send paper, the other carriers already do it, although at higher cost.

So companies stop sending piles of circulars every week. Who cares, it's all online. Or you can pick one up at the front of the store.

Here's another thought. We already have independent contractors delivering food through GrubHub, Door Dash, Uber Eats, Got Chew, and others. If the government or some company needs to send mail in mass such as this year's Census, couldn't such contractors deliver them at a fraction of the cost? Or the same people that still deliver newspapers?

The mail service outlined in the Constitution assumes no other alternatives. In 2020, we no longer need the entity known as the Postal Service.

zimbomb

My interaction with the federal/state/local government is almost entirely through the USPS. Call me crazy but I like it that way.