No bailout for Post Office

JL 0513

Just saw an article about the prospect of Jeff Bezos buying the Post Office.

I don't think the government would allow it but that would be nuts. He likely could afford to but the implications are deep.

I think Bezos would just prefer to keep building his own Amazon branded shipping business rather than just being the owner of the USPS.

Mack37

Just saw an article about the prospect of Jeff Bezos buying the Post Office.

I don't think the government would allow it but that would be nuts. He likely could afford to but the implications are deep

I think Bezos would just prefer to keep building his own Amazon branded shipping business rather than just being the owner of the USPS.

How do you buy a government agency? This isn’t Amtrak, is the FBI for sale as well?

Observer

I'm personally glad they were turned down for even more help. IF this was a regular business - they would've been closed down by now. A billion dollar loss every year. I also resent having to resend ALL of the misdirected mail over the years. I DO NOT miss going to a branch where they rude to everybody. Ours talks to her girlfriend throughout her whole route. The worst one - getting mail for three different neighbors - one who was three streets over. Really, can't read the address? NO, the post office needs to be rehauled and all the dead wood gone. As far as Amazon - Bezos will finally make a mistake and it will cost him customers. An example would be trying to sell prescription drugs - they will be one big mess. Bezos will have domething happen than his stock will fall. Remember, RPS - they were really big - now no one knows who your'e talking about.

govols019

You smell that?
Did the USPS have a positive cash flow before they were forced by Congress to prefund the retirement of people who aren't even born yet?

You know, it is possible to wish our company to be successful without hoping that over half a million people lose their jobs.... I can't even fathom the selfishness that takes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm personally glad they were turned down for even more help. IF this was a regular business - they would've been closed down by now. A billion dollar loss every year. I also resent having to resend ALL of the misdirected mail over the years. I DO NOT miss going to a branch where they rude to everybody. Ours talks to her girlfriend throughout her whole route. The worst one - getting mail for three different neighbors - one who was three streets over. Really, can't read the address? NO, the post office needs to be rehauled and all the dead wood gone. As far as Amazon - Bezos will finally make a mistake and it will cost him customers. An example would be trying to sell prescription drugs - they will be one big mess. Bezos will have domething happen than his stock will fall. Remember, RPS - they were really big - now no one knows who your'e talking about.

He is not trying to sell prescription drugs----he is trying to buy the rights to distribute prescription drugs which as we all know can be very lucrative.

RPS wasn't really that big. At least that's what our supervisors kept telling us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did the USPS have a positive cash flow before they were forced by Congress to prefund the retirement of people who aren't even born yet?

You know, it is possible to wish our company to be successful without hoping that over half a million people lose their jobs.... I can't even fathom the selfishness that takes.

The P.O. is not going anywhere. It was unfair to ask them to prefund 75 years worth of pension benefits. They need to be given the freedom to operate like any other business.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
In my opinion they should only be able to match ups or fedex pricing. Never beat it. They have a built in cost advantage because of the monopoly of the mail and the fact that they already go to every home virtually every day.
Which came first, USPS, UPS, or FEDEX? Why shouldn’t the latter carriers be forced to compete?

And finally, do they deliver virtual mail?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Which came first, USPS, UPS, or FEDEX? Why shouldn’t the latter carriers be forced to compete?

And finally, do they deliver virtual mail?
4D8E1DF7-7C03-43D3-B753-7F23FF2B8937.jpeg

Indecisi0n

I have to agree. It's odd but 90% of the postal workers in the branches are :censored2:s.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Fact is the Post office doesn`t need to make a profit to stay in business. Very unfair to their competition.
Post Office first functioned in 1756. UPS in 1907. FedEx in 1971.

The Post Office isn't the competition, UPS and FedEx are.

zimbomb

I'd imagine UPS and FedEx would lose the profitable low price shipping option sure/smart post. Small business seem to use these options to be competitive in the "free shipping" model while also using more profitable options from the shipper. I guess moving operations to a warehousing full end to end model with Amazon is the future without USPS. Amazon can run unprofitable delivery for year's to come and will probably be the only affordable shipping option of rural America.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I'd imagine UPS and FedEx would lose the profitable low price shipping option sure/smart post. Small business seem to use these options to be competitive in the "free shipping" model while also using more profitable options from the shipper. I guess moving operations to a warehousing full end to end model with Amazon is the future without USPS. Amazon can run unprofitable delivery for year's to come and will probably be the only affordable shipping option of rural America.
Fedex and ups should have never "partnered" with the post office in the first place

Edit: charge people what it really costs to move goods

zimbomb

Fedex and ups should have never "partnered" with the post office in the first place

Edit: charge people what it really costs to move goods
The federal, state and local government should be changing trucking companies for their road use. The wear and tear these companies put on our public infrastructure is not being properly charged.