No brakes = just drive slow

Andorian440

I heard this story second hand, but somehow I believe it.

Our division manager was at our center a few weeks ago when one of the drivers called in to report that his brakes were not working. The supervisor told him to stay put and they would be out to help him. The district manager actually suggested that he finish up himself but "just drive slow."

klein

Für Meno :)
Could you imagine if the driver would have had an accident ?
Would be avoidable, because he knew he didn't have brakes, and should have driven appropiatly slower and with more caution !

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I believe it. In times past I have been "instructed" to continue driving on a leaking tire, or to leave the key in the ignition with the engine running at each stop due to a bad battery. I was also "instructed" to drive with no brake lights or turn signals. Fortunately, I refused to comply with these asinine instructions. Somehow the packages wound up getting delivered anyway, and life went on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm curious if the manager involved was able to pass an audit by being able to recite verbatim the Seven Keys to Driving Without Brakes.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I have been told to keep driving with no headlights or wipers.

Yep safety is the most important thing we can do.

Unless it means being paid over.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
I had an old p-500 loose all but 2nd gear. I was told to finish my day and drive it back to the center....They finally got me a new truck and had that one towed after a calm friendly conversation with the on car...

fxdwg

Long Time Member

Our division manager was at our center a few weeks ago when one of the drivers called in to report that his brakes were not working. The supervisor told him to stay put and they would be out to help him. The district manager actually suggested that he finish up himself but "just drive slow."

You are a Liar. From a DM to a Sup to a District Manager????
Any BC person respondeing to this needs to grab another Vodka!

Freakin' Mole

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Only an @#$%^ would believe a district manager would instruct anyone to drive without brakes.

brown bomber

brown bomber
had a major brake failure.......calipers blown out....a service garage on my route inspected the damage, refilled the brake fluid.gave me a few quarts to finish my day and limp home..........other times I've borrowed tools to fix mirrors, headlights, wipers, etc.......never got a thank you for any of these over and above job requirements.........believe me there are several more incidents......power steering failure, brake lights, flat tires, broken windshield.......I dealt w/ them or fixed them myself to avoid roadcalls, and save managements ass.......Oh well I guess I'll get my reward eventually

Andorian440

You are a Liar. From a DM to a Sup to a District Manager????
Any BC person respondeing to this needs to grab another Vodka!

Freakin' Mole

I'm not lying, and I said I heard the information second hand, so it's possible that I was lied to. But frankly, I believe it. I meant to say division manager, not district manager. The on road supervisor and the DIVISION manager had the exchange.

I called in once to report a leaking haz mat package, and was told to keep on working until they sent someone out to take care of it. I replied that was not the proper procedure. They replied that they knew the procedures and needed me to keep on working. After several minutes of threats, they relented and sent responders out. Safety first! Unless it's inconvenient for management!

mech1

Use your head people if your truck is unsafe to drive then don't drive it.If something happens as a result of you driving it knowing it is unsafe you are going to lose your job.If mgmt instructs you to drive it tell him you need a quilified mechanic to inspect the vehicle before you can continue your day.Remember its your safety and the publics safety,and the companys policy.

rama'nfeeders

I hate to say this too you, but anybody who does a favor for management is a knucklehead because anytime you help management they the (company) saves money! that's not a bad thing, but when you do not have brakes, flat tire, and/or a blown inner seal hub than you should being exploring the mechanics from moment 1!

rod

Retired 22 years
I just find it hard to believe a DM (district or division) would even talk to a driver to begin with. In my 30 years I was only in a conversation face to face with a division manager once and that was for him to tell me he was going to have my job. I don't recall ever seeing a district manager at our center. I was told on more than one occasion that "a good driver don't need brakes".:happy2:

When I first started at UPS, the District Manages office was in our building. We saw him more than we did the Division Mgr, he was at most of our PCMs. However they eventually consolidated with another district and move the office to the other site. After that the Division Mgr would show up about once a month and be there for a couple of days at a time.
If I remember correctly our div mgr was involved in a decision for me to drive back to the center (about a 40 mile drive) without a clutch, not as dangerous as no brakes but still not safe.
Over the years I was instructed to do a lot of crazy things while truck problem occurred, most of then not too safe. I believe the OPs story.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I first started at UPS, the District Manages office was in our building. We saw him more than we did the Division Mgr, he was at most of our PCMs. However they eventually consolidated with another district and move the office to the other site. After that the Division Mgr would show up about once a month and be there for a couple of days at a time.
If I remember correctly our div mgr was involved in a decision for me to drive back to the center (about a 40 mile drive) without a clutch, not as dangerous as no brakes but still not safe.
Over the years I was instructed to do a lot of crazy things while truck problem occurred, most of then not too safe. I believe the OPs story.

Had to do that 2 or 3 times. Shifting wasn't really a problem but starting the truck in gear with no clutch made for a few wierd looks from the customers.