No brakes = just drive slow

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Here is some help I always use.... Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. If management makes you drive a red tagged vehicle, that's a BIG "no no". Your supervisors are not Labor guys, most of them don't have much more than a High School education. They get paid to make you work hard and fast so you better know your rights. If it is serious you can report it.

Lagunabrown.com

FMCSA doesn't specifically recognize a "red tag" does it? There are conditions that make it illegal to operate.

No harm No foul right?
That's what the sups would like for us to believe on this issue, just don't try to use it one them when it would go the other way.

FMCSA doesn't specifically recognize a "red tag" does it? There are conditions that make it illegal to operate.
Probably not specifically, however they probably would recognize the red tag as our method of identifying an unsafe vehicle. DOT regs puts the responsibility of not operating an unsafe vehicle on the driver, not a manager.

LagunaBrown

I am confused about your point... Our building would only "red Tag" unsafe vehicles and you have access to those records. Would be kinda shady if red tagged one day but not the next.

959Nanook

My experience has been that once it is out on road, they will beg, plead, and holler to keep the truck moving if it will still move. I've personally been instructed to continue with spongy service brakes, no parking brake, a gear selector out of adjustment, key broke off in ignition, etc. If you write it up in the DVIR and it is back in the shop, they have been pretty reasonable but I have been surprised at some of the DIAD messages and comments on the phone that I have gotten.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I would make sure they make their instructions in the DIAD about driving without or poor brakes. At least then it is documented as opposed to "hearsay". What happened and proving what happened 2 different things.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
had a driver in our bldg this week who was instructed to leave the truck running so the battery could charge up for an hour or so while he was in a downtown area.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
had a driver in our bldg this week who was instructed to leave the truck running so the battery could charge up for an hour or so while he was in a downtown area.

I remember doing that a few times ... dang carwashers and preloaders leaving the lights on!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Had to do that 2 or 3 times. Shifting wasn't really a problem but starting the truck in gear with no clutch made for a few wierd looks from the customers.

Most (tractor trailer) truck drivers drive hundreds of miles everyday without a clutch. What do you need it for once you get the truck moving? Makes shifting a little easier, but it won't prevent the truck from stopping if it doesnt work.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I am confused about your point... Our building would only "red Tag" unsafe vehicles and you have access to those records. Would be kinda shady if red tagged one day but not the next.

I'm equally confused with your post. You reference the FMCSA, but the FMCSA doesn't say anything about the subject of red tags. At first I thought I must have overlooked something in an earlier post, but I don't see any reference to red tag anywhere. The original post is about a driver on the road being told to continue driving with bad brakes. I guess if the truck makes it back it might become red tagged, but the tag itself is meaningless to the FMCSA. Usually people cite references to support what they are saying???

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Actually it is common to red tag a vehicle to hold it for scheduled maintenance or non-safety related issues.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Actually it is common to red tag a vehicle to hold it for scheduled maintenance or non-safety related issues.

They want to use "Green Tags" if being held by the shop but is "driveable". So much easier to use Red so the vehicle is there to work on when I get to work. :)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
They want to use "Green Tags" if being held by the shop but is "driveable". So much easier to use Red so the vehicle is there to work on when I get to work. :)
Yeah, I know. 'You can't fix it while we're driving it. It messes up your hair.':wink2:

rama'nfeeders

I heard this story second hand, but somehow I believe it.

Our division manager was at our center a few weeks ago when one of the drivers called in to report that his brakes were not working. The supervisor told him to stay put and they would be out to help him. The district manager actually suggested that he finish up himself but "just drive slow."

rama'nfeeders

There are many things he could have done. The 1st refuse to drive the UNSAFE VEHICLE another inch because YOU DO NOT FEEL SAFE OPERATING the VEHICLE! If you division manager tells you to keep going I would call UPS in Atlanta, GA and file a complaint, than I would call my Local union rep or shop steward, and last I would contact the Human Resource Manager and fil another complaint about the division manager puttting my life in danger. You could probably also report this to your local OSHA office who run by the Federal Government. You need to stand by you contract, but more importantly the safety of "YOU". GOOD LUCK!