"No family life" with UPS

Dumbo

How about you put the phone down and enjoy your company? Is it worth getting upset over some greenhorn newbie on here? Stop looking at that little brown screen and look at the waves. Dont let UPS take it from you. I sure as :censored2: wouldn't be on here if I was at the beach.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How about you put the phone down and enjoy your company? Is it worth getting upset over some greenhorn newbie on here? Stop looking at that little brown screen and look at the waves. Dont let UPS take it from you.

3 sons sitting on the same deck with me

Thanks for the advice

Over 70

I seem to be in the minority but after many jobs starting anywhere from 5-7am I love not having to leave my house for work until 815am, get there by 840-845.

I like to get up around 6-630, make a huge breakfast, enjoy a few cups of coffee and hang with the family who takes off for their days around 745.

I'd make a huge bfast before but would be in a hurry, have to get up really early, try not to wake mom and tge little one, coffee to go and work just as late or later than ups with no lunch or breaks most days.

Dumbo

I seem to be in the minority but after many jobs starting anywhere from 5-7am I love not having to leave my house for work until 815am, get there by 840-845.

I like to get up around 6-630, make a huge breakfast, enjoy a few cups of coffee and hang with the family who takes off for their days around 745.

I'd make a huge bfast before but would be in a hurry, have to get up really early, try not to wake mom and tge little one, coffee to go and work just as late or later than ups with no lunch or breaks most days.

That's one of the comforts I will have. I'll have enough time in the morning for the first time ever to have a family breakfast and take my kids to school. I'll probably see them for just a few minutes when I get home.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Anyone know why UPS's network is so far behind FedEx's time table for getting their package cars out on the road early in the morning? Yes I know part of it is we do air and ground together and they separate but it seems Express is out early in the AM too. In the AM we aren't just waiting for air as ground work is being preloaded until 9:30 many mornings.
They have separate systems for air and ground packages so they don't have to wait around like we do. But ours could be pushed up to start earlier....I mean how the hell do we start at 7:30 during Christmas but the rest of the year it's 9:30-9:45

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
That is something my wife and I discussed. Why not start delivering at 7am? If it's because businesses aren't open then start with residentials first. I know I'd rather get my package at 8am than 8pm.

Somebody should tell UPS "Early to bed, early to rise, make a man healthy, wealthy, and wise".

We have feeder loads that aren't scheduled in until 7:30 every morning. The only way to get out at 7:00 each morning would be to hold some packages back another day in transit even though they would be on property.

It's not possible to run a sort until 3:15 and get trailers in at a respectable time. Maybe all these newer and larger hubs will be better to get loads out earlier each morning.

MostHelpNeeded

We have feeder loads that aren't scheduled in until 7:30 every morning. The only way to get out at 7:00 each morning would be to hold some packages back another day in transit even though they would be on property.

It's not possible to run a sort until 3:15 and get trailers in at a respectable time. Maybe all these newer and larger hubs will be better to get loads out earlier each morning.

I know it's a hell of a lot easier said than done, but couldn't the whole operation be shifted back two hours? I mean, the whole things cyclical anyway, what's really stopping that?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I know it's a hell of a lot easier said than done, but couldn't the whole operation be shifted back two hours? I mean, the whole things cyclical anyway, what's really stopping that?
Are you going to move pick ups up two hours also? How well do you think customers will take it if you tell them last pickup is moved up? How about west coast air packages going to the east coast.

35years

Gravy route
Two hours earlier is probably not realistic.
But 40 minutes is not only possible, it was the normal start time for decades.
To put it simply...UPS makes more money by starting us later.
They don't care that you can no longer go to your kids' activities in the evening.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Anyone know why UPS's network is so far behind FedEx's time table for getting their package cars out on the road early in the morning? Yes I know part of it is we do air and ground together and they separate but it seems Express is out early in the AM too. In the AM we aren't just waiting for air as ground work is being preloaded until 9:30 many mornings.
How much volume does FedEx network process.
UPS vs FedEx: Who Ships More? - Capterra Blog

MostHelpNeeded

Are you going to move pick ups up two hours also? How well do you think customers will take it if you tell them last pickup is moved up? How about west coast air packages going to the east coast.

Pickups for the vast majority of companies should be able to be done by 5:30. Hell, I'd even say 5:00. For the few larger ones who demand a later pickup...keep in mind that they are usually larger companies with multiple shifts, and usually receiving for said companies opens sometime around 6 AM. If they were getting their deliveries at 7 or 8 AM instead of 10 or 11, they might not even be opposed to an earlier pickup. And if they still demand a late pickup, use a few part time PM drivers or add it to then end of a drivers day who requests OT. Drop a trailer off and give it to feeders. There's a :censored2: ton of possibilities, but corporate greed stands in the way of every one of them.

As for the air, I'm not going to pretend to know all the logistics of that. BUT, I do believe it is completely possible to accomplish if the air is in at a decent time; ie 6:00 PM on the west coast. As it stands now, something needs to be done about the air anyway, a big portion of it's late as in arriving to the building late. Another big portion is late to due to lack of time from late start times. Doesn't matter what time the air arrives when you're starting at 9:30, leave the building at 9:45 and arrive on area at 10:15 with 10 air stops.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I think one of the issues is late pull times from CPU's. We pull from larger CPU's directly to other hub night sorts. We have customers that have direct loads to 5 or 6 different hubs and all want the trailers pulled at the latest time possible to make the other sort.

The other issue is volume. It's crazy how much volume varies daily...I think some buildings run twice as many doors Sunday and Monday as compared to Friday. And it's all done with buildings and sorts on different schedules. Some night sorts are Sunday through Thursday and some are Monday through Friday. I don't know who keeps up with all of it but it would be a tough job.

Indecisi0n

Do you dump during the day after a breakfast that large?

purehavanne

We're corporate slaves, let's just face it.

200+ stops per day isn't due to greed?
Punching out at 22:55 four days in a row isn't greed?
Shuttle with 30 more pieces daily isn't greed?

This is a great job, but how much more can one take?

Tenpoint88

Many of us came from much worse schedules which is why a lot of the newer guys are more accepting of what they throw at us. For the 5+ years I worked UPS P/T about 18 hours a week, I also worked minimally 40 hours a week at a day job. Started at 7:30am and finished at 9:30pm everyday with a little break in between for all those years. Then start driving and what a nice short day!

That's what I'm saying. I typically work 9-10 hours a day at my main job, every other Saturday. And about 3-4 hours at night for local sort for ups. My day job is construction. So I wake up at 5:30, leave at 6am, get to work at 7am. If I don't have to work at ups till 6:30 then I work 10 hours or 11 if I'm working close to ups. But typically I drive an hour to my main job, an hour from there to ups, then 1 more hour home at night. So typically I leave the house at 6AM and get home between 9:30pm or 10:30pm. A nice 16 hour day, every day. If I was ever told I had a 12 hour day, I'd be appalled, how easy!!! I'll be temp driving this peak season so hopefully I'll go full time soon. Getting home at 8pm is a dream for me lol. Oh and not getting off work covered in dirt, mud, and dust. Coughing up dust. And getting good pay and benefits. That would all be amazing for me!! Edit: And I get weekends off??? JACKPOT