"No family life" with UPS

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
The 6 day work week will be a concession in the next contract
Well, peak is coming...

Will they extend the DOT hours to 70, like FedEx uses all year long???

That's the only way to get a 6th day outta drivers for peak season

LongIslandNewbie

I understand many other professions work crazy hours. However I didn't choose to be a cop or a correction officer or any of the other roles I was qualified for and got called for. I accepted UPS with the knowledge that I was a Mon-Fri employee with an occasional Saturday during peak season, and that is not the case any longer. I can accept getting home at 9pm Mon-Fri but now I have to give up Saturdays with my family as well. Its not what was advertised to me and that's what makes me mad! I have no choice at my age but to grin and bear it, but i will BITCH all I want!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I understand many other professions work crazy hours. However I didn't choose to be a cop or a correction officer or any of the other roles I was qualified for and got called for. I accepted UPS with the knowledge that I was a Mon-Fri employee with an occasional Saturday during peak season, and that is not the case any longer. I can accept getting home at 9pm Mon-Fri but now I have to give up Saturdays with my family as well. Its not what was advertised to me and that's what makes me mad! I have no choice at my age but to grin and bear it, but i will BITCH all I want!

Ever heard of the 9.5 list?

Dhydratd

...Its not what was advertised to me and that's what makes me mad! I have no choice at my age but to grin and bear it, but i will BITCH all I want!
And don't ever forget that you're working for a company that no longer wants you. Once you hit top pay, you are costing the company too much money and they are looking for ways to either get rid of you or make you leave on your own.

undies

So many threads talk about having no family life with this job. "You'll never see your kids", etc.

How is UPS so unique compared to a ton of other professions when it comes to this? I have several cop friends and they all work a ton of OT, overnights, holidays, etc.

How about doctors? Nurses? Plow drivers during snow season? Business professionals always on the road (my dad was gone every week in a new city)? Accountants? Fire fighters? Even retail workers working open to close 6-7 days a week.

My last job everybody has been on 12 hour rotations for months.

I can literally name 10 or more common professions off the top of my head where this is the case.

Why is this such a recurring thing when I read this forum. Cops work holidays, overnights, and 60 hours or more a week. At least at UPS there are not overnights or holidays as a driver.

I have 3 kids and pretty much any profession I have worked or thought of getting into it's the same. 9-5 is more of an exception it seems.

The way I see it is this: If I can allow my wife to continue to stay home and raise our kids, and provide great insurance and eventually great pay, and knowing many professions work these hours for much less, same management problems, yet in some professions the price of failing is much higher, including peoples lives,then its worth it to me. In addition I get to stay in shape as I get older.

Knee and back problems from sitting 10-12 hours a day in a chair or 10-12 hours of knee and back problems from moving and being active. I think the former is worse for you

Shut up.

iruhnman630

Must be different in your building. No one in my building is forced to work a 6th day, some guys do because they want the money, that's about it.
Not a 6th day, and in case you've been under a rock, Saturday ground is being rolled out company wide as we speak.

My building goes live this week.

So you will lose saturdays, and not even get the ot $$ to make it worthwhile.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Not a 6th day, and in case you've been under a rock, Saturday ground is being rolled out company wide as we speak.

My building goes live this week.

So you will lose saturdays, and not even get the ot $$ to make it worthwhile.
IMG_1407.GIF