"No family life" with UPS

Dumbo

Tell him about how many drivers that get injured and are forced to take a lowly customer counter job.

As far as injuries go...how much do you think has to do with being injured as a result of poor health? Not trying to be sarcastic, but how many of them take care of themselves, eat healthy, legitimately stretch?

I'm also a personal trainer and owned a gym and I've worked with literally hundreds of clients and can tell you most of the time knee and back problems are from tight muscles, or the stress on joints and low back from being over weight. I've worked with people well into their 50s with very physical jobs and in most cases, barring an actual accident, the body is made to move and the more active you are, the opposite effect is actually achieved and you are much less prone to injury. I'd bet that most UPS drivers who take care of their bodies and nutrition are probably less apt to injury due to the nature of the job than a sedentary overweight office worker who will tear a meniscus by the slightest twist.

oldngray

nowhere special
As far as injuries go...how much do you think has to do with being injured as a result of poor health? Not trying to be sarcastic, but how many of them take care of themselves, eat healthy, legitimately stretch?

I'm also a personal trainer and owned a gym and I've worked with literally hundreds of clients and can tell you most of the time knee and back problems are from tight muscles, or the stress on joints and low back from being over weight. I've worked with people well into their 50s with very physical jobs and in most cases, barring an actual accident, the body is made to move and the more active you are, the opposite effect is actually achieved and you are much less prone to injury. I'd bet that most UPS drivers who take care of their bodies and nutrition are probably less apt to injury due to the nature of the job than a sedentary overweight office worker.

Do the job for 30+ years and get back with us.

I'm also a personal trainer and owned a gym and I've worked with literally hundreds of clients and can tell you most of the time knee and back problems are from tight muscles, or the stress on joints and low back from being over weight. I've worked with people well into their 50s with very physical jobs and in most cases, barring an actual accident, the body is made to move and the more active you are, the opposite effect is actually achieved and you are much less prone to injury. I'd bet that most UPS drivers who take care of their bodies and nutrition are probably less apt to injury due to the nature of the job than a sedentary overweight office worker who will tear a meniscus by the slightest twist.
Mostly blown out backs, shoulders or knees.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
So many threads talk about having no family life with this job. "You'll never see your kids", etc.

How is UPS so unique compared to a ton of other professions when it comes to this? I have several cop friends and they all work a ton of OT, overnights, holidays, etc.

How about doctors? Nurses? Plow drivers during snow season? Business professionals always on the road (my dad was gone every week in a new city)? Accountants? Fire fighters? Even retail workers working open to close 6-7 days a week.

My last job everybody has been on 12 hour rotations for months.

I can literally name 10 or more common professions off the top of my head where this is the case.

Why is this such a recurring thing when I read this forum. Cops work holidays, overnights, and 60 hours or more a week. At least at UPS there are not overnights or holidays as a driver.

I have 3 kids and pretty much any profession I have worked or thought of getting into it's the same. 9-5 is more of an exception it seems.

The way I see it is this: If I can allow my wife to continue to stay home and raise our kids, and provide great insurance and eventually great pay, and knowing many professions work these hours for much less, same management problems, yet in some professions the price of failing is much higher, including peoples lives,then its worth it to me. In addition I get to stay in shape as I get older.

Knee and back problems from sitting 10-12 hours a day in a chair or 10-12 hours of knee and back problems from moving and being active. I think the former is worse for you
As a cop I worked 12 hour shifts 3 days with four days off then 4 days with three days off...not 12 hours five days a week with only two off...yes holidays sucked but you have the opportunity to have some mornings or nights with your family and much more weekdays off

oldngray

nowhere special
As a cop I worked 12 hour shifts 3 days with four days off then 4 days with three days off...not 12 hours five days a week with only two off...yes holidays sucked but you have the opportunity to have some mornings or nights with your family and much more weekdays off

with hours of sitting around between a few moments of high stress

Non sequitur

Then there is the other camp equally prone to injury....the really skinny guys who don't eat or hydrate. Already having low muscle mass, the muscles and ligaments are dehydrated and lack micronutrients essential to tissue repair. The body can't keep up with the repetitive nature of the job, "overtraining" sets in, they become much less focused, more tired, more prone to depression, and they injure themselves simply because the tissues can't keep up with the demand placed on them.
Please repost in 20 years. Until then shut the hell up and go to work. Its not PC to think outloud when your naive about your future.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I walk out of the house no later then 6:30 AM and arrive home @ 10:00 PM five days a week my choice. After almost 20 years wife is now starting to bust my chops. "but there were planes to catch and bills to pay"............
PS union meetings are on Sunday !

W

What The Hawk?

So many drivers have families. Maybe I will understand when i become a driver. I dont have a kids either. So i cant speak on experience. Interesting post though.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I missed my kids a little that during my tenure I got my daughter a job in international and her brother on the sort aisle both on the twi. The pain in the a-- brother I got on the preload LOL.
PS wifey worked in payroll.

Faceplanted

Thanks for the insight. My friend who is an offer works the same schedule I believe

The op does not understand that people who do shift work is cops, nurses, fire fighters, emts ect all usually get 3-4 days off a week.

Unlike us.... what I would give for 3 days off!!!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Thanks for the insight. My friend who is an offer works the same schedule I believe

The op does not understand that people who do shift work is cops, nurses, fire fighters, emts ect all usually get 3-4 days off a week.

what would you give

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

My daughter is a cop and her brother a paramedic they pay for the days off by working night work every other month 6 PM to 6 AM. Your sleep cycle is never right. Plus if your schedule falls on a holiday you work. Tell the kids Christmas morning mommy is in the patrol car.

Last edited:

Dumbo

That may be true for some shift workers. Try working days for a month and then overnights for a month. Days off always changing, overtime IS very prominent. Ive come from a shift work job and we have been on 12 hours days for the last 9 months or so. We couldn't hire them fast enough and then the time it takes for security clearances and backgrounds to come back make them always short.

iruhnman630

It is because we are not doctors, nurses, police, fireman, utility workers. We don't provide essential public services.

When we sacrifice our evenings, and miss out on all that happens at that time, we do it so people can get their crap quicker.

Faceplanted

My daughter is a cop and her brother a paramedic they pay for the days off by working night work every other month 6 PM to 6 AM. Your sleep cycle is never right. Plus if your schedule falls on a holiday you work. Tell the kids Christmas morning mommy is in the patrol car.
So... kinda like feeders?

ManInBrown

Cops 60 hours a week. Lmao

Ummm. No

The only law enforcement that work that many hours are correction officers. They all do it to milk their pensions. Your average joe cop works 40-45 hours per week. Get your facts straight before you start spewing off about something you know nothing about