"No family life" with UPS

Notcool

All I see all day is people driving around not at work. Traffic everywhere all day. While Im waiting to turn. I ask myself. Why are yall not at work? Or delivering to resisidentals where everyone is home.

Tiereffinthree

I don't understand why UPS doesn't hire more drivers - cut down the size of the areas so that you can work your 8 and be done? I work for Fedex ground and my current area is growing like crazy. My boss (great guy btw) is always tweaking areas and hiring new guys so that everybody has an equal amount of work. We consistently get done by 4 pm everyday. It honestly is a huge blessing that UPS decided to pass on me because they over hired. Life is short, who wants to spend their life being a slave to a job(that is unfulfilling btw) that takes up all of their personal time. Just my 2cents

Thank you thank you.. A man who sees reason! This is one way where Doodoo Brown could learn from FedEx. Half of most routes here could stretch to a safe comfortable 8 hours. Then they can find and punish the clock milkers easier and harder, I'd vote for that.

The Driver

I drive.
All I see all day is people driving around not at work. Traffic everywhere all day. While Im waiting to turn. I ask myself. Why are yall not at work? Or delivering to resisidentals where everyone is home.

What are people doing at 2:30pm clogging up the roadways? I don't get it. I bet half could just stay home.

I bet if we valued cooking at home more in this culture our traffic would be reduced by 25%.

The Driver

I drive.
At least you guys have families. I'm working an average of 58 hours a week and don't even have time to think about starting a family. :censored2:'s ridiculous.

DOK

Ill give you that, and I admit I have no experience yet in this field. Just comparing professions and hours/work. But contractors I could also compare. My brother works 14 or more hours a day doing back breaking labor. He's in his late 40s now and it's all he's ever done since a teenager. Never saw his kids, never had enough money to make ends meet.
I'll agree with you there, most construction jobs are much more physical and body damaging than a package driver or feeder driver.

I think it might depend some on the area of the country when referring to ups being a "no family life job". In rural locations most of the jobs start real early and get done 2:30-4pm or so. In areas where there's a lot of professional jobs, our hours are the norm. Think about the traffic the big city folks deal with too and how that must add to their day.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
What are people doing at 2:30pm clogging up the roadways? I don't get it. I bet half could just stay home.

I bet if we valued cooking at home more in this culture our traffic would be reduced by 25%.
It's not about values. It's pure laziness. Plenty of people on my route don't even own a stove. Just sleep till 10 or11 then go dragging into Subway with their pajamas on and get a footlong. Thirsty? Ride into town and get a soda. Rinse and repeat.

Star B

White Lightening
Thank you thank you.. A man who sees reason! This is one way where Doodoo Brown could learn from FedEx. Half of most routes here could stretch to a safe comfortable 8 hours. Then they can find and punish the clock milkers easier and harder, I'd vote for that.
His boss also probably only pays a pittance salary per day or under 20 bucks an hour, no to little benefits. Do you really want to copy FXGs lead?

john chesney

So many threads talk about having no family life with this job. "You'll never see your kids", etc.

How is UPS so unique compared to a ton of other professions when it comes to this? I have several cop friends and they all work a ton of OT, overnights, holidays, etc.

How about doctors? Nurses? Plow drivers during snow season? Business professionals always on the road (my dad was gone every week in a new city)? Accountants? Fire fighters? Even retail workers working open to close 6-7 days a week.

My last job everybody has been on 12 hour rotations for months.

I can literally name 10 or more common professions off the top of my head where this is the case.

Why is this such a recurring thing when I read this forum. Cops work holidays, overnights, and 60 hours or more a week. At least at UPS there are not overnights or holidays as a driver.

I have 3 kids and pretty much any profession I have worked or thought of getting into it's the same. 9-5 is more of an exception it seems.

The way I see it is this: If I can allow my wife to continue to stay home and raise our kids, and provide great insurance and eventually great pay, and knowing many professions work these hours for much less, same management problems, yet in some professions the price of failing is much higher, including peoples lives,then its worth it to me. In addition I get to stay in shape as I get older.

Knee and back problems from sitting 10-12 hours a day in a chair or 10-12 hours of knee and back problems from moving and being active. I think the former is worse for you
The difference is we work nonstop except for lunch and breaks and I mean work. The difference is some jobs you're there for 12 hours but not busting your balls for 12

The Driver

I drive.
The difference is we work nonstop except for lunch and breaks and I mean work. The difference is some jobs you're there for 12 hours but not busting your balls for 12

I was talking to my dad last night about this. There's no dicking around at the water cooler or stepping outside for a relaxing smoke break. This job is work when you're working. And it's all work.

john chesney

At least you guys have families. I'm working an average of 58 hours a week and don't even have time to think about starting a family. :censored2:'s ridiculous.
This is a blessing in disguise. Buy yourself a Russian woman that speaks no English but is hot as hell,don't have any kids (300,000) each to raise them till 18 on average. Get the hell out of this place as soon as you can. You will be a millionaire if you invest your money

The Driver

I drive.
This is a blessing in disguise. Buy yourself a Russian woman that speaks no English but is hot as hell,don't have any kids (300,000) each to raise them till 18 on average. Get the hell out of this place as soon as you can. You will be a millionaire if you invest your money

That's my current plan. The only thing I'm not clear on is how to snag that hot Russian. Maybe I'll ask the Donald.

john chesney

A guy had one on my route hot as hell !!!!
Didn't speak a word of English and answered the door with a giant bird on her arm. Yes it was a driver release but I never did lol

JL 0513

I'm always amazed how there can be so many adults not working. 93,000,000 US adults don't work in fact (out of 245 million). Many are retired but many are not. Drives me crazy too trying to get around and the traffic never stops. Feels like NO one is working in the middle of a weekday. Amazingly too, there out in nice cars shopping and spending money coming from somewhere.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So many threads talk about having no family life with this job. "You'll never see your kids", etc.

How is UPS so unique compared to a ton of other professions when it comes to this? I have several cop friends and they all work a ton of OT, overnights, holidays, etc.

How about doctors? Nurses? Plow drivers during snow season? Business professionals always on the road (my dad was gone every week in a new city)? Accountants? Fire fighters? Even retail workers working open to close 6-7 days a week.

My last job everybody has been on 12 hour rotations for months.

I can literally name 10 or more common professions off the top of my head where this is the case.

Why is this such a recurring thing when I read this forum. Cops work holidays, overnights, and 60 hours or more a week. At least at UPS there are not overnights or holidays as a driver.

I have 3 kids and pretty much any profession I have worked or thought of getting into it's the same. 9-5 is more of an exception it seems.

The way I see it is this: If I can allow my wife to continue to stay home and raise our kids, and provide great insurance and eventually great pay, and knowing many professions work these hours for much less, same management problems, yet in some professions the price of failing is much higher, including peoples lives,then its worth it to me. In addition I get to stay in shape as I get older.

Knee and back problems from sitting 10-12 hours a day in a chair or 10-12 hours of knee and back problems from moving and being active. I think the former is worse for you
i

How about you revisit this topic in say 20 or 25 years ( seriously doubt you'll make it that far)

But, if you do I'll bet your attitude is not the same