"No family life" with UPS

P

pickup

not sure id compare a cops job to a ups drivers job. Being a cop, you might not come home.

I looked up the stats for occupational deaths. On the Forbes list, truck drivers comes in 9th on the top ten.

Cops are no where to be found in the top ten. They just get a whee more press and media coverage when they die in the line of duty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I look up the stats for occupational deaths. On the Forbes list, truck drivers comes in 9th on the top ten.

Cops are no where to be found in the top ten. They just get a whee more press and media coverage when they die in the line of duty.
maybe so but comparing a cops job to a ups job is nonsense.

Gear

Parts on Order
Considering my compensation, this is the easiest job I've ever had. Hardiest part of my job is the late 2nd shift. Which screws up family time, but its a good job. But Im a mechanic, so I dont count.

UPS hourly positions are all labor positions. Do any labor job for 30 years and you'll have some problems. If UPS is so "hard", why do guys hang around after 30 years? That's what they're doing, hanging around, hogging up the good union job.

tourists24

Considering my compensation, this is the easiest job I've ever had. Hardiest part of my job is the late 2nd shift. Which screws up family time, but its a good job. But Im a mechanic, so I dont count.

UPS hourly positions are all labor positions. Do any labor job for 30 years and you'll have some problems. If UPS is so "hard", why do guys hang around after 30 years? That's what they're doing, hanging around, hogging up the good union job.
waiting to turn 55?

muthatrucka

I've been here 21 yrs and I'm only 39. Can't retire till I'm 57 or they'll penalize me. Do that math, that's why their still here, dollar bills y'all !

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Part of the problem is the start time. Other long shift jobs usually start around 7.
5997.jpg

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
My center manager starts us as late as possible. It's like crack to that tub of lard. Hell we started 45 min later all this week "because" of a hurricane that was 500 miles away and completely gone by Wednesday. Of course tub of lard is out the door headed home by 4pm everyday.

nextlife

I don't understand why UPS doesn't hire more drivers - cut down the size of the areas so that you can work your 8 and be done? I work for Fedex ground and my current area is growing like crazy. My boss (great guy btw) is always tweaking areas and hiring new guys so that everybody has an equal amount of work. We consistently get done by 4 pm everyday. It honestly is a huge blessing that UPS decided to pass on me because they over hired. Life is short, who wants to spend their life being a slave to a job(that is unfulfilling btw) that takes up all of their personal time. Just my 2cents

UrFellowUpser

I don't understand why UPS doesn't hire more drivers - cut down the size of the areas so that you can work your 8 and be done? I work for Fedex ground and my current area is growing like crazy. My boss (great guy btw) is always tweaking areas and hiring new guys so that everybody has an equal amount of work. We consistently get done by 4 pm everyday. It honestly is a huge blessing that UPS decided to pass on me because they over hired. Life is short, who wants to spend their life being a slave to a job(that is unfulfilling btw) that takes up all of their personal time. Just my 2cents
lol I feel like it was a blessing that fedex passed me by

35years

Gravy route
Just for reference...
30 years ago start time was 8:15
Dispatch was 8.3 to 8.4 hours unless you wanted more.
There were lines of trucks waiting to park at 4:20 PM.
I was a runner-gunner and got in 2:30 -3:45 everyday. Played on softball teams, got to activities like normal people.
No pkg drivers worked holidays.
No forced Saturdays.

Peak season was from the Mon after Thanksgiving till 2 days before Christmas. No one allowed to work over 12 hrs including lunch.Most peak days were under 10 hrs.

Christmas Eve was 4 hours of work and paid for 8 (and did not work it Sat/Sun).

My joints are shot. I don't know how guys are going to make it working to 62 years old, 10+ hrs a day for decades.

Just for reference...
30 years ago start time was 8:15
Dispatch was 8.3 to 8.4 hours unless you wanted more.
There were lines of trucks waiting to park at 4:20 PM.
I was a runner-gunner and got in 2:30 -3:45 everyday. Played on softball teams, got to activities like normal people.
No one worked holidays.
No forced Saturdays.
Peak season was from the Mon after Thanksgiving till 2 days before Christmas.
Christmas Eve was 4 hours of work and paid for 8 (and did not work it Sat/Sun).

My joints are shot. I don't know how guys are going to make it working to 62 10+ hrs for decades.
My start time was 7:45. Airs had a noon commit