No gas

F

Frankie's Friend

well they make us unload smalls instead of the guy who's job is unloading trucks and is making $10/hr....
Here the smalls are unloaded by the driver when you dock your vehicle and pop your rear door(s) open so the local sort can get them processed and bagged so the trailers can pull on time.
The big push for many yrs was to have a large percentage of volume (40+%?) processed as smalls and it was killing the feeder pull times.

On a average, it took all of about 15 seconds to put containerized smalls on the belt.

BiggieBrown

I can't believe there's areas where the drivers don't refuel their own cars. You're telling me that there's one or two guys that have to refuel a whole fleet of trucks every night? Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Yes.
Local sort does it.
I'm the guy who is standing out there in the rain and 20 degree weather.
Usually takes me a solid 4 hours of standing at the pump holding a nozzle. With all the shuffling of the trucks I probably climb in and out of each truck 3 or 4 times a night.
The drives pull up and ditch the truck without saying a word. Don't even acknowledge you as a human being.
Half of them will take their keys home in their pocket and then you have to hunt down spares.
A few of them don't even bother to bring their truck over to the pump. They pull in, park next to their personal vehicles, and leave. They don't even clock themselves out, the manager has to call them and ask what time they left and do it for them.
The level of entitlement is unreal.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Yes.
Local sort does it.
Usually takes me a solid 4 hours of standing at the pump holding a nozzle. With all the shuffling of the trucks I probably climb in and out of each truck 3 or 4 times a night.
The drives pull up and ditch the truck without saying a word. Don't even acknowledge you as a human being.
Half of them will take their keys home in their pocket and then you have to hunt down spares.
A few of them don't even bother to bring their truck over to the pump. They pull in, park next to their personal vehicles, and leave. They don't even clock themselves out, the manager has to call them and ask what time they left and do it for them.

Bologna

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No matter the reason, for a huge transportation company to issue such a directive is absurd. It's unethical because they're covering up something. Then again, that's what UPS does.

I already beat you to it in another thread.

You're not fueling at time and a half. Less hours.

May only be a few minutes, but multiply that by 100,000 vehicles.

Fueling up on Wednesday morning is the new quarter. Saving money this quarter to appease the stock holders.

Can you say fudging numbers???

Re-Raise

EAB32726-9157-404A-81A6-439A1EBF374F.png

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Yes.
Local sort does it.

At our building the drivers fuel their own trucks but I am with you on the drivers that take the keys home.

The worse is the 500s they are always loosing the keys for those things.. then I have to go rekey the lock cores, replace both FOBs and sometimes replace the ignition if the spare key in the file is missing.

The best part is when a week or two later the idiot that brought them home brings his now personal set in and uses the truck again and breaks off the old lock core key in the new lock. Lol

They are worried about ordering pink tag items and fueling trucks when they are wasting countless hours at 37 a hour or so on stupidity

opey

Which do you think is cheaper a hubrat at straight time or a pkg drv at overtime

well they make us unload smalls instead of the guy who's job is unloading trucks and is making $10/hr....

Cool story bro

Do you have a point or just rambling

No tough guy, my point was in agreeance with your point about a hub rat being cheaper than a driver on OT.. they have the driver at $50+/hr unloading smalls instead of the guy at $9 an hour.

Goes by seniority. You bump the lowest PT employee in the Hub. As long as you have company seniority.
Im referring to drivers unloading smalls when they get back, instead of the inside guy whos only job is unloading trucks and who makes maybe 1/5th of a driver on OT
Here the smalls are unloaded by the driver when you dock your vehicle and pop your rear door(s) open so the local sort can get them processed and bagged so the trailers can pull on time.
The big push for many yrs was to have a large percentage of volume (40+%?) processed as smalls and it was killing the feeder pull times.

On a average, it took all of about 15 seconds to put containerized smalls on the belt.
15 seconds? you must never have done any heavy pick up route, or a UPS store or anything like that. when the company considers a "small" to be under 16 inches, you might pick up 150 smalls from a UPS store. or any heavy pick up route where you are filling the truck and picking up a few hundred pieces, you cant always have them containerized already when you get back due to space constraints or lack of containers (and we have zero totes available to us, only forever bags and driver release bags). just because some people only pick up 10 smalls every day doesnt mean others arent picking up a ton

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Im referring to drivers unloading smalls when they get back, instead of the inside guy whos only job is unloading trucks and who makes maybe 1/5th of a driver on OT

The problem is that the unloader(s) may not get to that package car and those smalls right away.

They are willing to pay the driver a buck or two to unload those smalls and get them to the small sort instead of waiting on that lower paid unloader, who may be 5 or 10 minutes from getting to that car.

We do that here, but only unload the smalls that we toted or bagged.

We leave those bigger smalls for the unloader.

wayfair

swollen member
At our building the drivers fuel their own trucks but I am with you on the drivers that take the keys home.

The worse is the 500s they are always loosing the keys for those things.. then I have to go rekey the lock cores, replace both FOBs and sometimes replace the ignition if the spare key in the file is missing.

The best part is when a week or two later the idiot that brought them home brings his now personal set in and uses the truck again and breaks off the old lock core key in the new lock. Lol

They are worried about ordering pink tag items and fueling trucks when they are wasting countless hours at 37 a hour or so on stupidity

how hard is replacing a key core??? I mean, I understand it's a PITA, but seriously, is it the same as changing a tire or bulkhead door lock?

We have CNG here...

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Yes.
Local sort does it.
Been there done that I feel ya, become a driver it's better on this side of the fence the grass is in fact greener. Only because ya earn a truck load more money