No gas

lolbr

On a side note, gas has weight and it is wasteful to carry more than needed with a "reserve". Just like airlines. Of course, that has to be countered by any additional wait time at the pumps if everyone is refueling on a too frequent of an interval. Our pumps allow only 20 gallons per "pump" to send a message to the drivers to not "over-fill" their tanks.
Gas only weighs about 6 lbs per gallon. That 60 lbs extra isn't going to mean much on a loaded truck, or even an empty truck with how much the trucks weigh. I think the 20 gallon limit is more of a safety issue.

F

Frankie's Friend

Work as directed. Send in a message with your concern then run out of gas and pull over and wait. The absurdity in this is amazing. Can you imagine this issue reaching the CEO or board of directors? One of the largest and most profitable transportation companies in the world telling their last mile delivery drivers they can't get fuel?
Few (if any) of our routes burn more than a tank of fuel.
Pretrip always called for us to visually check the fuel level by taking off the cap and seeing the fuel in the fill tube. This daily required procedure may have been due to fuel gauge failure in those old trucks.

The message on friday came from way above the center manager's head. It's probably about making the bottom line look better for the quarter.

We still log the fuel as '99' for fueling off area and if we fuel at the building we put it in our boards under pump 1 or 2 and list the gal dispensed. The bid fuel n park employee writes in on a piece of paper. If you have 120,000 vehicles on the road I'm sure logging the fuel for the week is a substantial cost if shown.
Without averaging the feeder fuel and diesel cost accurately but figuring 120M vehicles fueling 30 gal each at $3/gal it shows an expenditure of $10,800,000.00 for ONE day. Figure two days (with airs on Saturday and Monday being partial days for most) and that's a lot of cost on the books.

If you run out of fuel the cost just doubles (at a minimum) but it will affect 2019 not 2018.

Indecisi0n

Few (if any) of our routes burn more than a tank of fuel.
Pretrip always called for us to visually check the fuel level by taking off the cap and seeing the fuel in the fill tube. This daily required procedure may have been due to fuel gauge failure in those old trucks.

The message on friday came from way above the center manager's head. It's probably about making the bottom line look better for the quarter.

We still log the fuel as '99' for fueling off area and if we fuel at the building we put it in our boards under pump 1 or 2 and list the gal dispensed. The bid fuel n park employee writes in on a piece of paper. If you have 120,000 vehicles on the road I'm sure logging the fuel for the week is a substantial cost if shown.
Without averaging the feeder fuel and diesel cost accurately but figuring 120M vehicles fueling 30 gal each at $3/gal it shows an expenditure of $10,800,000.00 for ONE day. Figure two days (with airs on Saturday and Monday being partial days for most) and that's a lot of cost on the books.

If you run out of fuel the cost just doubles (at a minimum) but it will affect 2019 not 2018.
So the method of removing the fuel cap and verifying a full tank is full is a required method. Then how do you see down the fill tube to verifiy a half tank of fuel? You can't see all the way into the tank .So now we are to trust the fuel guages ? If the guage is broken and we run out of fuel on road who's fault is it ?

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
So the method of removing the fuel cap and verifying a full tank is full is a required method.

a little after 7 PM last night that is exactly what i heard the on car sup tell the very last driver out on a saturday night to do. shine your flashlight into the tank or use your cell phone. he then told him not to use a lighter. then of course he went to the shop and got a gas can and headed out to rescue the guy. i ended up with an extra 1.5 in OT thank you very much

iowa boy

I got the message on Friday and had to chuckle as my fuel light was flashing. So needless to say, I decided to help the company go broke in the 4th quarter and put 35 gallons in the tank, as I had to make sure I was gonna make it home.

watdaflock?

Got in my truck Thursday and discovered there was no gas card and the truck was sitting on less than half a tank. Explained the situation to my supervisor. He said "we would have to make due and would figure it out." I ran my normal route until the low fuel light came on around 4:30pm with 20 stops left. I pulled into a Wawa and explained to my supervisor I would not be able to make it back. This is a rural route, mind you.

He asked if I would be willing to fill it up using my debit card and that he would give me "reimbursement forms" to fill out the next day. I politely declined and asked for further instructions. In the meantime I called my steward who informed me that I should not use my lunchtime to wait for a supervisor due to "managerial incompetence." He also stressed that I should never, ever, use my own debit card to fill up the truck.

45 minutes later my supervisor shows up, in a package car, with a gas card he magically procured. As I had still not taken lunch, I took another hour to take lunch. This made my supervisor unhappy as he wanted me to go bail out another rookie driver.

I had a nice 1 hour and 45 minute break to eat a delicious Wawa cheesesteak sub, a donut, a bag of chips and two Arizona sweet teas. I then took a nap, finished my stops and was punched out by 7:15, being just 5 minutes shy of 9.5
What's Wawa?

F

Frankie's Friend

So the method of removing the fuel cap and verifying a full tank is full is a required method. Then how do you see down the fill tube to verifiy a half tank of fuel? You can't see all the way into the tank .So now we are to trust the fuel guages ? If the guage is broken and we run out of fuel on road who's fault is it ?
I'm not defending the company's decision. I just saying how it was when I started and honestly, this is a 3 day issue not a ups edict changing our pretrip procedures.

To answer your last question, they are making themselves liable by presuming the gauges are correct.

Our message was for US drivers not to fuel our vehicles if it showed 1/2 tank on the gauge. I left mine at the fuel pump. If the guy fueling filled it up it's on him. I didnt add fuel.:peaceful:

F

Frankie's Friend

So the method of removing the fuel cap and verifying a full tank is full is a required method. Then how do you see down the fill tube to verifiy a half tank of fuel? You can't see all the way into the tank.
If it's too dark you can use your cigarette lighter I guess.

F

Frankie's Friend

a little after 7 PM last night that is exactly what i heard the on car sup tell the very last driver out on a saturday night to do. shine your flashlight into the tank or use your cell phone. he then told him not to use a lighter. then of course he went to the shop and got a gas can and headed out to rescue the guy. i ended up with an extra 1.5 in OT thank you very much
Using a cell phone light to shine into the tank?
Get a phone call at that time and it global warming just might come to your area quickly.

Using a cell phone light to shine into the tank?
Get a phone call at that time and it global warming just might come to your area quickly.
kS2K8aB367MpG.gif

Heavy Package

Just heard the solution from Atlanta. All drivers are to empty their piss bottles into their gas tanks nightly to save money. This saves on trash costs and fuel. Expected savings to top $40M in 2019 alone.

iruhnman630

you can't see the fuel level in the newer cars, at least not without using your finger or a stick to open the flap