No gas

pkgdriver

Accountants. Fuel is inventory and it is easier to measure it in the gas pump tank than the running to each PC and recording the amount in each tank? Big company like UPS, I'm sure it adds up.

Frankly, I would do the opposite and direct for all PC to be 100% filled before punching out for the end of the year. Does not require running to each PC, reading the fuel level and calculating # of gallons. Just know your fleet's overall capacity.

On a side note, gas has weight and it is wasteful to carry more than needed with a "reserve". Just like airlines. Of course, that has to be countered by any additional wait time at the pumps if everyone is refueling on a too frequent of an interval. Our pumps allow only 20 gallons per "pump" to send a message to the drivers to not "over-fill" their tanks.
Yes a gallon of fuel has weight(8lbs?). Apples(5 gallons extra in pkg car) vs Oranges 5,000 extra in a 787(30,000? capacity). More wasteful to run ORION . Like was said above 20 gallons is an safety issue not a message to reload/fuelers/drivers.

opey

you can't see the fuel level in the newer cars, at least not without using your finger or a stick to open the flap
The gasoline cars you cant easily see in, but ive never seen one of those with a malfunctioning gauge. PLenty of deisels with bad gauges but you can easily see in the tank. around here most routes can get at least 3-4 days out of a tank anyway

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
What's Wawa?

Wawa-Vero-Beach-FL-Calkain-e1472838404134.jpg

The closest thing the mid-Atlantic has to an upscale convenience store. Also known as paradise, heaven, and nirvana for tired and hungry UPS drivers. I could live on their hot subs alone.

rod

Retired 22 years
If they would just fire the half a dozen over paid ties sitting around a table dreaming up these BS ways to make the company look good on paper they could save that money just in wasted wages.

PT Car Washer

If they would just fire the half a dozen over paid ties sitting around a table dreaming up these BS ways to make the company look good on paper they could save that money just in wasted wages.
The company has gotten rid of hundreds of middle management and replaced them with mindless robots that just follow orders. AKA center dispatchers and center managers.

BacknBlack$

Got in my truck Thursday and discovered there was no gas card and the truck was sitting on less than half a tank. Explained the situation to my supervisor. He said "we would have to make due and would figure it out." I ran my normal route until the low fuel light came on around 4:30pm with 20 stops left. I pulled into a Wawa and explained to my supervisor I would not be able to make it back. This is a rural route, mind you.

He asked if I would be willing to fill it up using my debit card and that he would give me "reimbursement forms" to fill out the next day. I politely declined and asked for further instructions. In the meantime I called my steward who informed me that I should not use my lunchtime to wait for a supervisor due to "managerial incompetence." He also stressed that I should never, ever, use my own debit card to fill up the truck.

45 minutes later my supervisor shows up, in a package car, with a gas card he magically procured. As I had still not taken lunch, I took another hour to take lunch. This made my supervisor unhappy as he wanted me to go bail out another rookie driver.

I had a nice 1 hour and 45 minute break to eat a delicious Wawa cheesesteak sub, a donut, a bag of chips and two Arizona sweet teas. I then took a nap, finished my stops and was punched out by 7:15, being just 5 minutes shy of 9.5

A wonderful Xmas story that Charles Dickens would be proud of. Well done!

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
A wonderful Xmas story that Charles Dickens would be proud of. Well done!

Even as recently as a year ago, I would've filled up using my own card, skipped lunch and gone to bail out the new guy. Now I've reached the point where I don't give a big, steaming :censored2:. It's not my job to fix all the problems that they create every morning through cutting corners and making things needlessly complicated.

That's why on New Year's Eve morning, my phone will be off and buried in the trunk of my car so when the inevitable call comes to "PUH-LEEZE COME IN AND HELP. WE SUDDENLY GOT MORE AIR THAN WE EXPECTED" I will be snuggled warmly under the covers next to my wife.