No Music????

EasyTrucker

The company can try and keep you from bringing in headphones as part of the clean-in/clean-out policy. Note that this isn't a safety issue (no matter what they say) as OSHA doesn't have a problem with headphones. Granted, if you work in a big building and someone's walking to/from work areas with headphones that can be a concern but that's not the rationale for banning headphones on sorts.

However, there is a National Health & Safety Grievance Panel decision from approx. 2007/2008 wherein the company and the union mutually agreed to allowed radios in the hub.

District LP tried to ban all personal electronics/cell phones/radios in my building somewhat recently and they backed down after we filed a Maintenance of Standards grievance. They only wanted to argue about cell phones and the labor manager didn't even contest/want to discuss the grievance I filed on compliance with a national panel decision. You might want to call your BA, as there's pretty serious consequences if the company refuses to abide by a national panel decision.
Where are you getting your OSHA headphones info from? I only see the 1987 ruling where they don't recommend headphones in noisy work areas because the volume of headphones to drown out noise, exceeds the safe decibel level. They only recommend ear muffs the USPS have developed, believe it or not, that protects the ear from industrial noise and provides a soft level of music. I believe the panel ruling only allows radios, not headphones.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Where are you getting your OSHA headphones info from? I only see the 1987 ruling where they don't recommend headphones in noisy work areas because the volume of headphones to drown out noise, exceeds the safe decibel level. They only recommend ear muffs the USPS have developed, believe it or not, that protects the ear from industrial noise and provides a soft level of music. I believe the panel ruling only allows radios, not headphones.

I know a former Postal Worker local union president that had to deal with the same issue and the post office kept citing OSHA. He did his homework and researched it; OSHA has no issue with headphones in the workplace and they won the right for their mail handlers to wear headphones at work.

The panel decision only allows radios -- this is correct. That's why I said "the company can try and keep you from bringing in headphones" as there's no panel ruling (to my knowledge) on this issue. If it's something that was previously allowed and widely known/accepted by area management, it can be challenged via maintenance of standards.

EasyTrucker

Don't know why they just don't make company policy to be, use of headphones is ok as long as one ear is left unobstructed to hear audible warnings, co-workers talking, etc.

SquirrelBoggie

Our hub is weird, one shift don't care about headphones but another shift would try to walk people out for headphones. It baffles me how each shift is different

big_guy

From hr, "your allowed one headphone; if you bring a radio you can't steal company electricity but if you bring in a battery operated radio it's ok as long as your music doesn't offend anybody".

jeepupser

I found that it varies from shift to shift and place to place. Where I work you can't even bring your cell phone in. If I could have my music I would work a whole lot better.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
From hr, "your allowed one headphone; if you bring a radio you can't steal company electricity but if you bring in a battery operated radio it's ok as long as your music doesn't offend anybody".

"Stealing company electricity" that's rich. Ask the Feeder drivers in your area how often all the belts stay on all weekend when there is no sort going on. I know one building here loves to turn out all the lights but leave the belts on all weekend long hmmmm lol.

Bottom rung

"Stealing company electricity" that's rich. Ask the Feeder drivers in your area how often all the belts stay on all weekend when there is no sort going on. I know one building here loves to turn out all the lights but leave the belts on all weekend long hmmmm lol.
They hard wired the computers in the office. So employees couldn't plug stuff in. Stealing electricity? Yup. It happened here.

Our pre-load was allowed to wear headphones for years. Until Santa Claus brought some of the newer hires, Beats by Dre headphones. And a Big wig came down... Lets just say Management wasn't to happy about that.

Bottom rung

My guess is that it everything to do with stealing, but not electricity?
If you wanted to steal the computer you could just unplug it and walk away. There's no receptacles just a couple of power cords coming out of the wall. They also have an area in the building that has receptacles, they no longer have power to them.