No Music????

czalinsky

All the sudden they won't let us listen to music during the morning Shift. No headphones or anything... I rarely bring mine in but today I did and got shot down...
They wouldn't even allow music in RePack after everyone had left... Weird!!!

fres431

Put headphones in and not have them plugged into device. When they yell at you act like you don't hear them, when they ask you to remove them do so and tell them is a safety concern because the db in work area are high. Did it an bam they went right back in!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center has overhead speakers above the belt line. The preload sup will play music (local FM station) during the sort. He will turn it off when the sort runs behind.

RealPerson

We are allowed to have One ear bud in... For safety. Someone did say onetime that headphones could get caught in the belt....
We hired a deaf guy once, IDK....

UPS4Life

Our center has overhead speakers above the belt line. The preload sup will play music (local FM station) during the sort. He will turn it off when the sort runs behind.
That's a good idea! Only downfall is one day they'll get a new manager will come in and the radio will be the first thing to go then everyone will be pissed.
I do think a radio helps with work and can lighten the mood. My old job when we unloaded the trailers we would get we had a radio for a long time...... Then some new manager came in and took it and it was total silence. Worst thing ever, haha high school problems.

Cat in the hat

We just turn on NPR and set the belt to 1. Stackout and ask sups to help load before drivers arrive. Sometimes we get crazy and limit misloads to two trucks.

Anthonysg0113

We are allowed to have One ear bud in... For safety. Someone did say onetime that headphones could get caught in the belt....
We hired a deaf guy once, IDK....
One of my PT sups told me they used to make them wear ties. One of the sups that worked with him got the tie caught in a belt and the belt just ate him.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
They did this to us one year said we weren't allowed to use their plugs for the radio. Said we had to to use batteries. I said fine I will do my own singing. After a few weeks of my voice they didn't seem to care about the plugs no more.

SquirrelBoggie

Our hub is trying to establish the same criteria, "No Headphones, no stereos" but it only lasted for a week, for some reason the majority of our hub don't care as long as we all work hard

HardknocksUPSer

This must be a big deal, my division manager just told us we couldn't have earphones or music period today, people have been using earphones for years at the center I work at, until recently.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The company can try and keep you from bringing in headphones as part of the clean-in/clean-out policy. Note that this isn't a safety issue (no matter what they say) as OSHA doesn't have a problem with headphones. Granted, if you work in a big building and someone's walking to/from work areas with headphones that can be a concern but that's not the rationale for banning headphones on sorts.

However, there is a National Health & Safety Grievance Panel decision from approx. 2007/2008 wherein the company and the union mutually agreed to allowed radios in the hub.

District LP tried to ban all personal electronics/cell phones/radios in my building somewhat recently and they backed down after we filed a Maintenance of Standards grievance. They only wanted to argue about cell phones and the labor manager didn't even contest/want to discuss the grievance I filed on compliance with a national panel decision. You might want to call your BA, as there's pretty serious consequences if the company refuses to abide by a national panel decision.

The company can try and keep you from bringing in headphones as part of the clean-in/clean-out policy. Note that this isn't a safety issue (no matter what they say) as OSHA doesn't have a problem with headphones. Granted, if you work in a big building and someone's walking to/from work areas with headphones that can be a concern but that's not the rationale for banning headphones on sorts.

However, there is a National Health & Safety Grievance Panel decision from approx. 2007/2008 wherein the company and the union mutually agreed to allowed radios in the hub.

District LP tried to ban all personal electronics/cell phones/radios in my building somewhat recently and they backed down after we filed a Maintenance of Standards grievance. They only wanted to argue about cell phones and the labor manager didn't even contest/want to discuss the grievance I filed on compliance with a national panel decision. You might want to call your BA, as there's pretty serious consequences if the company refuses to abide by a national panel decision.
What are the serious consequences? If it ain't monetary it's not serious to ups.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What are the serious consequences? If it ain't monetary it's not serious to ups.

Refusing to abide by a national panel/national health & safety panel decision gives the local the right to notify the company of a 72 hour notice to strike. At least that's how I interpret the language in Articles 8.2 and 20.2. While it'll never come to that, it'll definitely get some local management people in deep :censored2:.