No new 22.2 jobs created in this contract!

Ilovetoast

Union Rep explained to me there will be no new 22.2 inside/inside jobs created in this contract!

I’m in shock, I have been waiting 15 years and for the looks of it I’ll be Waiting a lot longer.

Does anyone know if you’re allowed to bid on a 22.2 job when your a 22.3.
Or are you stuck working weekends for the rest of your life?
I asked my local Union rep and he said he’ll get back to me...He never did

My dream is to get off the road and out of this package car. I’m a Air driver working full time hours.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Union Rep explained to me there will be no new 22.2 inside/inside jobs created in this contract!

I’m in shock, I have been waiting 15 years and for the looks of it I’ll be Waiting a lot longer.

My dream is to get off the road and out of this package car. I’m a Air driver working full time hours.
are you talking about inside/inside 22.3? Because the 22.2 jobs are top driver rate grandfathered jobs, they don't create any more of those in our area. Yes we can bid them, here, along with feeders.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
In reality there has been no new 22.2's position created over the last 30 years at least in my Local. They are only bid once there is a vacancy and bid within the classification first and if no one in a 22.2 position wants it then it goes by overall seniority in any classification.

The number of 22.2's were guaranteed from replacement ..I really do not how that previous language is being interpreted currently with the recent contract.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In reality there has been no new 22.2's position created over the last 30 years at least in my Local.

I know of some 22.2 jobs created in Locals to assist in fueling the new CNG tractors.

They didn't want to make them 22.3 combos, so they were bid as 22.2.

They are only bid once there is a vacancy and bid within the classification first and if no one in a 22.2 position wants it then it goes by overall seniority in any classification.

Absolutely correct.

The number of 22.2's were guaranteed from replacement ..I really do not how that previous language is being interpreted currently with the recent contract.

Nothing has changed.

-Bug-

DirtySouth

They are not required to create any additional 22.3 jobs (or even 22.2 jobs) under the TA as they've been required to do over the last 4 contracts.

The 5,000 new FT jobs can either be feeder jobs (that they must create anyway in order to compete with FedEx by taking work off the rail), 22.4 hybrid driver jobs, and likely new package car jobs (once the 22.4's are maxed out by percentage in high growth areas.)

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They are not required to create any additional 22.3 jobs (or even 22.2 jobs) under the TA as they've been required to do over the last 4 contracts.

Really.

The 5,000 new FT jobs can either be feeder jobs (that they must create anyway in order to compete with FedEx by taking work off the rail), 22.4 hybrid driver jobs, and likely new package car jobs (once the 22.4's are maxed out by percentage in high growth areas.)

So....

You're trying to "blend" the 2 different articles together ?

As far as job creation ?

opie

They are supposed to maintain the 22.3 jobs created in the previous contracts. But all they do is just turn the job into a part-time job once a 22.3 leaves the position.

Ilovetoast

The language is so vague on the 22.4 jobs! If I accept a 22.4 Job can I bid for a 22.3 job if it opens up?

Also can 22.4 jobs bid For fedder openings after one year?

Tony Q

All 22.2 and 22.3 jobs are protected. They have always been. After about three or four years when UPS realizes that there won’t be as big a need for 22.4 drivers they will fill out the rest of the guaranteed jobs with 22.3 jobs.

DirtySouth

Really.

So....

You're trying to "blend" the 2 different articles together ?

As far as job creation ?

That's the way my BA (who sat on the UPS Master Negotiating Committee) explained it in our local's contract presentation meeting. It's possible that he's wrong.

Article 22, Sec 4, Paragraph 11 also states:

11. Newly created 22.4 combination driver positions shall count toward the newly created 22.3 jobs required by this Agreement.

Heavy Package

Another reason to vote no. You are spot on with this issue. Think about it - If you are PT with no interest in driving, your wait to go FT could now be a lot longer. And it holds down wage rates as well - For those who want to go back into the hub and out of driving.