no raises in 25 year full time pension amounts

T dog

Why did each category in article 34 get raises except for the 2000 dollars for 25 years of service at any age and the 2500 dollars for 25 years at 57 years old? Even the part time pension for 25 years of service at any age got bumped up to 1325 dollars. With the amount of hours that a full time person works more than a part timer there is no way there should be only a 675 dollar difference in pension and no raise as well. We kept hearing how this contract was going to give some of the drivers with over 25 years of service and over age 50 opportunities to retire with insurance but nothing has changed. This was the best opportunity with the projected profits and tax break the company got to configure one of the best contracts ever for teamsters and it has to be one of the worst. Another vote for no here and i hope my fellow teamster brothers and sisters will do the same.

M

MenInBrown

Why did each category in article 34 get raises except for the 2000 dollars for 25 years of service at any age and the 2500 dollars for 25 years at 57 years old? Even the part time pension for 25 years of service at any age got bumped up to 1325 dollars. With the amount of hours that a full time person works more than a part timer there is no way there should be only a 675 dollar difference in pension and no raise as well. We kept hearing how this contract was going to give some of the drivers with over 25 years of service and over age 50 opportunities to retire with insurance but nothing has changed. This was the best opportunity with the projected profits and tax break the company got to configure one of the best contracts ever for teamsters and it has to be one of the worst. Another vote for no here and i hope my fellow teamster brothers and sisters will do the same.

Just one of the many reasons to vote no.

those pension amounts were ok in 1997. But they are a joke today. My guess is that they don’t want to incentivize people retiring @ 25 years.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You clearly ain't a driver. (Edit, talking to Mr. Marshall.)

Have you talked to the older drivers ever?
How many have had heart operations?
How many have had knee problems?
How many of them have back issues?

I'll save you some time.
ALL OF THEM.

Full time driving isn't the same as some office job. You aren't able to just keep going and going. Sooner or later, parts start to break.

Sure, there are some smarter ones who take better care of themselves, and make it longer, but that's more the exception.

UPS breaks these people. They have a right to the pensions that their blood sweat and tears went into for 25 or more years.

Explain your reasoning. Why can't they draw for 30 - 40 years?
The funds that go in are invested. They should be making profits. It shouldn't matter if you live 10 years after retirement, or 50.

ski or die

Ski or Die
You might want to study up on the fund status for each of the Locals. Quite a few are in endangered status. The new contract does not seem to address the issue with a large enough increase in contributions to increase the monthly pension. If your fund is continually decreasing each year, it does not make sense to increase the monthly payout. Ask Central State retirees how they feel about it.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
@BigUnionGuy, I'm a preloader. Still working on getting enough seniority to make driver. (Now likely working on seniority to make "combo" driver.)

But I'm a second generation UPSer. My father has driven for 25+ years. (One of the smarter ones. But even he has had a heart operation, and has some back troubles.)

Basically, I know all the guys in our building, and have, even outside of UPS. And my point stands. They're hard workers. But the job just breaks people down, if you give it long enough.

john chesney

They want you to go to 30 years in the hope that you die from being worked to death.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
They want you to go to 30 years in the hope that you die from being worked to death.
Funny but not so funny cause its true. Reloop the routes back to consistency cause that's how this company made its mark, then time study, no freaking shuttles, create a ireg division, put bulk routes back in, half days would be nice, floaters and quality control drivers, but mainly stop the dispatch madness, lock us in to the same tight area everyday like the old days I guarantee 90% of all small problems like misloads and add cuts not being pulled would disappear.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Funny but not so funny cause its true. Reloop the routes back to consistency cause that's how this company made its mark, then time study, no freaking shuttles, create a ireg division, put bulk routes back in, half days would be nice, floaters and quality control drivers, but mainly stop the dispatch madness, lock us in to the same tight area everyday like the old days I guarantee 90% of all small problems like misloads and add cuts not being pulled would disappear.
That was a dream I had, not glad a woke up to the present nightmare

bowhnterdon

We have had no increase since ‘94. In 2009 a cut was made. If you started after 1/1/1990, there is no early retirement. You must be 62 to collect. So if you started at 20, you will have worked 42 years to collect . How is that for a kick in the ass?

john chesney

I wasn’t joking 2 doctors told me to go on disability before I had a massive heart attack and die. I had 6 months to go and he still said don’t chance it. He told me number 1 cause of heart attacks is stress

You clearly ain't a driver. (Edit, talking to Mr. Marshall.)

Have you talked to the older drivers ever?
How many have had heart operations?
How many have had knee problems?
How many of them have back issues?

I'll save you some time.
ALL OF THEM.

Full time driving isn't the same as some office job. You aren't able to just keep going and going. Sooner or later, parts start to break.

Sure, there are some smarter ones who take better care of themselves, and make it longer, but that's more the exception.

UPS breaks these people. They have a right to the pensions that their blood sweat and tears went into for 25 or more years.

Explain your reasoning. Why can't they draw for 30 - 40 years?
The funds that go in are invested. They should be making profits. It shouldn't matter if you live 10 years after retirement, or 50.
I