NO RPCD will be laid off language should be changed.

browned out

If we can not get the 22.4 position removed.

Then this deceptive, vague open to interpretation language could easily be clarified.

No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification
while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building

How about correcting that language to:

No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification if 22.4 combination drivers work ANY DAY in that week.

Last edited:
If we can not get the 22.4 position removed.

Then this deceptive, vague open to interpretation language could easily be clarified.

No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification
while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building

How about correcting that language to:

No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification if 22.4 combination drivers work ANY DAY in that week.
Or if any 22.3 air driver is working.

born2Bwild

Agree but even more how about this:
- All RPCD will have uniform starting time
- no advance work from Monday to Sunday, rather
- hold work any additional from Sunday to Monday so that the route cuts on Monday will be less and more RPCD will be working

Just get rid of 22.4 altogether and expand on their personal vehicle delivery. The company will save millions over 22.4s

Mst3k

I am more worried about them not hiring 22.4 drivers. What is to stop them from scheduling you all week and sending you home 4 days. This would contractually prevent many of us from useing the layoff language and pushing back into the building.

cachmeifucan

I'm a 22.3 and sometimes I get sent home so part time can finish up.so no amount of language will help. We all know ups breaks the language all the time

born2Bwild

They can’t send you home if you demand your 8 hours. 22.4 or not
Do they cut route in your center on Mondays and RPCD sent home? Remember.... “IF WORK IS AVAILABLE “? so what do you think will happen if Monday’s work was advanced to Sunday delivered by lower labor rate And the contract says if work is available?
We’re not naive as to what the company will do
NO vote is better option
Just remember the longer we hold for better contract the bigger the reward will be

Box Ox

They can’t send you home if you demand your 8 hours. 22.4 or not.

In Article 22, Section 4. (b), Item 1 on page 9 of the NM:

2ezntr7.png

Note the specific use of "if reporting" right before "if work is available".

22.4s have an 8 hour guarantee with no "if work is available" precondition under Item 5 of the same article/section:

se9bmt.png

I noticed it also says no rpcd can be laid off or displaced if a 22.4 driver is working inside the building. So at 8:15 when ups switches them from preload to driving the rpcd can be laid off while the 22.4 is on the road.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I noticed it also says no rpcd can be laid off or displaced if a 22.4 driver is working inside the building. So at 8:15 when ups switches them from preload to driving the rpcd can be laid off while the 22.4 is on the road.
What about when they inside building p.m.? File, file, file... I bet "As long as work is available" along with 22.4 is the most dangerous language to the future of RPCD's ever put in a UPS contract.

opey

In Article 22, Section 4. (b), Item 1 on page 9 of the NM:

2ezntr7.png

Note the specific use of "if reporting" right before "if work is available".

22.4s have an 8 hour guarantee with no "if work is available" precondition under Item 5 of the same article/section:

se9bmt.png
this is all true, but it also says no rpcd can be laid off if 22.4's are working. sending a driver home for "no work" is a lay off.. so this pretty clearly says they cant send home the rpcd but use a 22.4 instead. also, 22.4's will be scheduled tues-sat or wed-sun, for the far majority if not all of them. so they wouldnt be available to use on monday

Mst3k

this is all true, but it also says no rpcd can be laid off if 22.4's are working. sending a driver home for "no work" is a lay off.. so this pretty clearly says they cant send home the rpcd but use a 22.4 instead. also, 22.4's will be scheduled tues-sat or wed-sun, for the far majority if not all of them. so they wouldnt be available to use on monday
So they can lay us off on Monday, if the 22.4s are all Wednesday to Sunday then we can be laid off on Tuesday as well. If they choose not to hire 22.4s then we can be laid off on any day.

opey

So they can lay us off on Monday, if the 22.4s are all Wednesday to Sunday then we can be laid off on Tuesday as well. If they choose not to hire 22.4s then we can be laid off on any day.
well, maybe theoretically. but if they dont have the 22.4's to replace the rpcd's its not likely. plus, theres usually enough guys that are looking for a day off that nobody ever gets forced other than trainees. at least thats always been my experience in my center.

im not saying that i agree with the "when work is available" language either btw.

Mst3k

well, maybe theoretically. but if they dont have the 22.4's to replace the rpcd's its not likely. plus, theres usually enough guys that are looking for a day off that nobody ever gets forced other than trainees. at least thats always been my experience in my center
Glad that we have nothing to worry about since you have yet to see something done that the company previously could not do.