No Work For Driver Helpers???

Today is my first day with a brown uniform in my closet. Got up, put on crisp uniform and called in for pick up location. Was told no work, no ride nada. How often does this happen? My Unemployment office was notified that I had taken a job. That stops unemployment. Yesterday during orientation HR made it sound like "BE READY." So, what's the real scoop? Is it because I am a newbie or is it too early in the season to expect work every day? Would have been nice if HR let us know. I just lost my 275.00 per wk unemployment.

Thanks for your responses! Corn-fused?!?!?!?:dissapointed:

J

jibbs

Oh man! It's typical, to be honest... I'm sorry you're going to lose your unemployment benefits for a job that doesn't guarantee work every day.

As we get closer to Christmas it will become more likely that you'll have work every day (especially if you end up being a decent helper). Right now your hub/center's probably at the point where they've overhired for peak in anticipation of high turnover that hasn't happened-- yet.

I feel like it would almost be criminal to take unemployment from somebody employed but not utilized through no fault of their own.

Thanks Jibbs. I am a patient kinda guy so I will go with the flow. Have been a regional manager for a HUGE company prior to coming here and I guess I miss being in the mix every waking moment. But at the same time I am a real team player that is just looking to work for a solid company. No company is perfect. Really looking forward to pairing up with a good driver and learning the ropes.

Thanks for your reply!

Pedal Junkie

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Man....that sucks. What HR doesn't tell you is they usually hire many more helpers than they actually need....I've heard a lot of complaints over the years of helpers returning their uniforms after peak that never even were called to work a day.

oldngray

nowhere special
HR has to get more helpers ready to work because the turnover.no show rate is so high. They have to have extras on the sideline waiting for the coach to send them in. Not fair to those helpers UPS lies to and think they are going to work for certain but UPS hasn't treated employees fairly for years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
HR has to get more helpers ready to work because the turnover.no show rate is so high. They have to have extras on the sideline waiting for the coach to send them in. Not fair to those helpers UPS lies to and think they are going to work for certain but UPS hasn't treated employees fairly for years.
I agree...the helpers made to believe they will have steady hours throughout peak, and many don't. UPS used to give a helper bonus at the end of the season if they worked everyday they were called (which I guess helped make up for only paying them $8/hr). I just heard they did away with that bonus this year...at least in my building. Nothing surprises me....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They only paid the $100 bonus for one year in my building, and that was years ago. If I have a Helper that shows up on time everyday and can walk at a brisk pace, then I will tip them with a hundred dollar bill out of my pocket on Christmas Eve.

Well, this is not different from Home Depot who I am very familiar with. I guess I come into UPS like many others. Hoping to make a difference because of my work ethic. "Bleedinbrown58", HR does need to let the Driver Helpers know the truth. They were pretty direct about the job position being over at a certain date. but not about the lack in work in the beginning. The best I can hope for is within the next 10 days. Still optimistic about working with some nice folks. Heck, they only blew me off one day. I guess I should just lay on the porch with the puppies one more day before running with the big dogs.

"oldngray" The other thing I do not understand is that OJT during this slower time would optimize productivity and maximize efficiency during peak. Just makes sense to me. I hear ya.

"Scratch" only one thing to say, "yeah, buddy...bring it on!"

​You folks rock. Keep smilin'!

Peace,
Pedal Junkie

raceanoncr

As far as losing unemployment, here, I said HERE, you only lose if you collect a check from another employer, and even then, you can earn up to half of what unemploy would be and you get half that. Check it out. Just SAYING you're hired don't mean it's so, here, I said, HERE boy!

letticesandwich

What Raceanoncr said. I was laid off from my seasonal fulltime job. My weekly benefit rate is more then what UPS pays me. work the part time 22 hours at UPS and still collect a good amount from Unemployment. Just have to go through a little excess to report your earnings and times from UPS.

What Raceanoncr said. I was laid off from my seasonal fulltime job. My weekly benefit rate is more then what UPS pays me. work the part time 22 hours at UPS and still collect a good amount from Unemployment. Just have to go through a little excess to report your earnings and times from UPS.

​Yup. Will check this out. Thx.

Call_ME_The_FNG

The same is here in my state. I report my hours every week even though I know I won't collect an unemployment check unless I work under 32 hours, and make less than my unemployment would pay each week. If that should occur, I would receive 50% of my weekly amount. Once my seasonal position is over I can continue my unemployment because seasonal work is not the same as returning to work full time. I would sugggest to definitely head over to your employment center and ask them. Maybe that's something that you could do on these days you have in limbo until they start calling you every day as a helper.

Ms.PacMan

It's still about a week early but if they continue to not call you - just show up at start time. That's what I did when I started. I also called (from pay phones :biggrin: way back in the stone ages) when I was done with one driver and asked where I could go next.

Squint

No more work for me!
They only paid the $100 bonus for one year in my building, and that was years ago. If I have a Helper that shows up on time everyday and can walk at a brisk pace, then I will tip them with a hundred dollar bill out of my pocket on Christmas Eve.

I used to tip my helper too. Also, my loader and inevitably my wife.

jaker

trolling
Funny to hear they didnt need some helpers , in my loop we needed 3 helpers ( 4 cars in my loop ) today and got none because they said they didn't have helpers in our area

the bad is they dispatch us with enough work for a helper but couldn't get none. , long day for me today

rod

Retired 22 years
Unfortunately its probably only the first of many disappointments to come. Wait until you get your first check----now thats a BIG disappointment.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This clown was a seasonal helper from my building last peak...I'm thinking he was disappointed with his check. The customer sent this in to the news.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Other than flipping off the security camera he and the driver did everything else right-----helper was in jump seat w/seat belt on before driver started pkg car and drove away.