No Work For Driver Helpers???

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Agreed, Dave....all safety procedures were followed. The lack of hand to surface with the package became part of the issue when the customer sent the video and it aired on the local news. "Helper flips off camera and throws package" lol. The helper was obviously fired....but I do know the driver....he didn't see what the kid did, I doubt he would have encouraged it. And, i was wrong....this happened 2 years ago, not last year....

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Agreed, Dave....all safety procedures were followed. The lack of hand to surface with the package became part of the issue when the customer sent the video and it aired on the local news. "Helper flips off camera and throws package" lol. The helper was obviously fired....but I do know the driver....he didn't see what the kid did, I doubt he would have encouraged it.

Did the kid ever say why he flipped off the camera? Did a friend live in that house and he was just screwing with them? What was in the package that the home owner was upset about? So many questions. Inquiring minds want to know.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Did the kid ever say why he flipped off the camera? Did a friend live in that house and he was just screwing with them? What was in the package that the home owner was upset about? So many questions. Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't know why he did it....and after it hit the news, I'm thinking ups wouldn't have cared what his reason for it was....lol. But from what the driver said....was no big loss, the kid was a pretty lazy POS.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
He wasn't moving at a "brisk pace", walking kind of slow there. Not a keeper on my package car.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not only did the kid throw the box, it struck the (assuming) front door pretty hard. On top of that, it was a fairly large size Zappo's.
Also, he was one-handing the box while flipping the bird, no opposite corners.

Ziplocked

I also started as a driver helper last week, worked Tues. thru Fri. but nothing so far this week. I figured it was bc the were trying to train more helpers for peak season. I also work reload at the center so hopefully they give me these hours soon. What's the pay rate for DH, $8.50 an hour? The driver and the on-road supervisor couldn't tell me for sure.

BrownChoice

Actually, i can point out a few safety & procedure violations. One. Stepping off package car backwards(with large box in hand, obstructing view.

Two. The obvious hand to surface.

Three. Not using three points-of-contact while getting back on package car.

​and FOUR. Being mad at the world....lol

PT Car Washer

I also started as a driver helper last week, worked Tues. thru Fri. but nothing so far this week. I figured it was bc the were trying to train more helpers for peak season. I also work reload at the center so hopefully they give me these hours soon. What's the pay rate for DH, $8.50 an hour? The driver and the on-road supervisor couldn't tell me for sure.

I think I saw a poster where it said $12.88 an hour.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Depends on your location....$8/hr in my building.

JakeD

Weird that they would call and then not have work. If they call me then they need me.

I feel bad for the new helpers that were at my orientation this year. the lady didn't have a single Diad to show people. so they get to show up day 1 without even seeing one, drivers are going to be thrilled.

really psyched not to have Diad 3 for helpers this year...

9.50 in RI

jaker

trolling
Well I found out why I didn't get a helper the other day , they have no helpers hired in the city I work in and no other helpers want to drive down to us

​going to be a good peak this year

MassWineGuy

They only paid the $100 bonus for one year in my building, and that was years ago. If I have a Helper that shows up on time everyday and can walk at a brisk pace, then I will tip them with a hundred dollar bill out of my pocket on Christmas Eve.

Scratch, that's one of the nicest gestures I've ever heard of. And well deserved if the helper works like crazy and actually helps you. Now that UPS is doing so well, and the economy is so poor, there's no incentive to pay that bonus.

To the O.P., definitely speak to someone at the unemployment office. Tell them exactly what's going on. I'm in a similar situation waiting to work as a seasonal driver. I have not been called in because volume has been light. Or so I'm told. When I was a driver helper last yeat I was already working a lot the week before Thanksgiving. Don't get discouraged. Even though the money's awful, it can be a lot of fun. And it's only for a short time. As long as they know you're very interested in working, they'll probably call you. I always kept my phone by my bed so I wouldn't miss any early morning calls, but after about 9 am if you havent heard form them, you probably won't work that day.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
It's a crap shoot. I can't add much from what has been previously posted. I always sign up for Driver Helper and some years, I get one or two calls, some years I work every day from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Hang in there. If you are a good helper, your driver will request you even next year.

Good luck! Have Fun!