Noise in package cars

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
we have ARS switches in our p47's but they dont work. furthermore im interested to know how well they are holding up in other parts of the world. the doors are terrible. i drove one all peak season on a rural split. typically carried out close to 200 pieces a day and had a handcart in there. the only problem was, the side cargo door opened up at will :w00t:. nothing more embarrasing than hearing that thing slide open in a commercial sector and watching pkgs and the handcart flying out. lol

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
That’s what the grease monkeys at NWA thought. They had hella skills compared to UPS mechanics.

Well before you put in that category as the rest of my coworkers. I currently hold all 8 ASE's which means that I am a Master Technician. I chose to do this although it is not required by UPS. I fell that this and other things that I do help me to keep up with the technical changes that occur yearly to vehicles. So before you talk bad about someone maybe you should do a little homework and see just what the other person is all about.

Channahon

What would the decibels be coming from "boon boxes" in driver's vehicles. Although a nice way to keep the day moving along, and maybe even keep the driver in a good mood, maybe even audition for "American Idol". I've seen way too many package cars, blaring music and yet there is a concern to driver hearing loss, due to package car noise?

Cementups

Box Monkey
we have ARS switches in our p47's but they dont work. furthermore im interested to know how well they are holding up in other parts of the world. the doors are terrible. i drove one all peak season on a rural split. typically carried out close to 200 pieces a day and had a handcart in there. the only problem was, the side cargo door opened up at will :w00t:. nothing more embarrasing than hearing that thing slide open in a commercial sector and watching pkgs and the handcart flying out. lol

The new Sprinters have a remote release. the side slider door is locked unless unlocked by the remote or the button inside the package area by the door. I keep my remote in my pocket with the button facing out so that I can hit the button through my pants without having to actually take it out of my pocket. I have even hit it while driving around and the door still stays shut.

Still haven't answered though.......

What's an ARS switch???:confused:1

Cementups

Box Monkey
ARS switch deactivates the traction control.

Thanks BTM. My mechanic didn't even know when I asked him and he is the only one who works on the Sprinters in our building.

I'm not sure why you want to turn it off. I think the traction control is one of the saving graces in the sprinters. I got alot of deliveries done because of it to places that I would have never taken a regular package car.

ups79

You deactivate it, otherwise you will never get out just by rocking the vehicle forward and reversing when stuck in snow.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
A sprinter is considered a p47. Ours are made by Daimler Chrysler. They are 5 years old and failing fast. They were pretty good for the first 200,000 miles. I liked the smooth ride and power. The down side is they are very hot in the summer and any oversize packages are a pain.

DS

Fenderbender
the weirdest thing about the sprinters is that they are 5 cylinders...heres a pic helenofcal
sprinter_passenger.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
I didn't know what you were talking about....sprinters? ....'til I saw the picture, DS.

In the past 2 weeks I have seen those things all over the place here in SoCal. They've been mostly companies who do plasma TV and entertainment centers, but those Dodges are all over the place now. Only reason I noticed them was because they are strange looking. Mercedes has one too.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm more surprised that no one commented about me NOT leaving myself and out, but you noticed that the trash can was knocked over 5 feet behind my truck.

Pip

I believe the P47 sprinter is turning out to not be what UPS thought it would be. Couple months ago we got word that if any major repairs are needed, we have to get approval first.

Corp. is considering ADA'ing these P47's. They are just not holding up, and their not even 5 years old yet.. There are 20 yr old P500's in better shape that have been ADA'd.

The Sprinter's are probably a good fit for the general public contractor, they are just not holding up to the "drive it like you stole it mentality" that is being put on them here at UPS, it seems. The cost for parts on these Sprinters is high.

The body isn't even holding up very well. The sheetmetal has a lot of stress cracks forming, hinges and door mechanisms are breaking from the stress.

Mercedes for the most part has had a good track record with their diesels and drivetrain in general, but there is a lot of room for improvement with what they have done to the Sprinter drivetrain.

As a mechanic, i believe the life of the Sprinter will be a thing of the past in a few years. I just don't see them lasting 20 years, let alone 10.