Noob Driver questions...

Oh, Thank you....never saw a blue one. Ours are white (the original) and orange/yellow for the ups copy. On those I only scan the premium service packages. OOOOPS, the blue ones are the ones with 4 enter places, DUH! I do the same on those. The book I described are the old old books.

WyoBrown

Oh, Thank you....never saw a blue one. Ours are white (the original) and orange/yellow for the ups copy. On those I only scan the premium service packages.
Lesson #1: Never assume UPS is the same all over the country huh? Sorry, here the original is blue, carbon is white. Thanks for the info. I lean towards the CYA world of thought. Just scan the damn thing, and no one gets hurt.

WyoBrown

No need to scan the blue sheet pkgs. Why on earth would you scan them?
Because dear Monster, the little instruction that I got from my center manager/on-car was less than "instructive" and backed with little info about WHY. One of the reasons I love this forum, so full of information that I otherwise would not know. So...if I ask stupid questions, bear with me and just shake your head in amazement :wink2:

SmithBarney

for the RTS question, you should only take it if you are sure that it hasn't been opened.
Its a huge liability if you happen to take a box back thats been emptied of its contents..
only to be RTS'd

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
1. What do you when you are prompted to enter a shipper # on a letter that contains no shipper #? That area is left blank somehow.

I enter ASDASD for air shipping document and keep going. 90% of the time if you contact the OMS they won't be able to come up with a shipper # anyway. A lot of letters with no shipper # were paid for by credit card or attached check.

I agree, our center manager and ft sup are constatntly getting on us for this, we keep telling them, "these apparantly come from letter boxes and there is NO shipper # period", so we all enter asdasd. I haven't been yelled at for it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
On asd's with no shipper number I have been told to use the first 6 letters of the shippers last name. Enter's in just like the nubers but its letters instead. Works great. Prior to that I had always been instructed to bring it back for the clerk. Now I don't have to, pkg del, company happy, cnee happy, shipper happy. :its_all_good:One less send again and one less pkg I have to step over during the day.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
i agree with iworkasdirected. i have never gotten in trouble for typing in ASDASD. It also works if the tracking number won't come up on the diad. enter ASDASD and then for BOX ID (the next three digits or letters on the diad.) enter ASD again. Never had any problems.

C

chicagobrown

1........no shipper# you put in asdasd for asd label 2........its hard to believe with all the labels on the pkgs( i.e. pal labels,1z labels ) that they would'nt have one on the pkg!!!!! i haven't had that happen in years. also, you rookies think too much!!!!! have a question ? ASK SOMEONE !!!!! ( like in your center ) 3........if a pkg is "refused" it is done so at the time of delivery... i tell my customers ( if a few days have passed ) have a call tag issued...... 4........hey all you senior drivers who use to be on paper and had to make decisions on your own..........( we have gone through all the DIADS...... 1 TO 4 ) why does it take so long to sink in to the rookies? and don't say they get no training,thats not gonna fly.... we use to get 30 days now they get an average of 180 days!!!!! we had to run a route by sequence #'s, they have EDD. (if EDD is wrong scroll through it and deliver by area ) don't make things harder than they are ! SORRY I'M JUST VENTING AFTER READING ALL THESE POSTS FROM ROOKIES (OH YOU GUYS CALL EM NOOBS.......WHATS UP WITH THAT.......AND BY THE WAY ITS FEEDER NOT FEEDERS.....

WyoBrown

i agree with iworkasdirected. i have never gotten in trouble for typing in ASDASD. It also works if the tracking number won't come up on the diad. enter ASDASD and then for BOX ID (the next three digits or letters on the diad.) enter ASD again. Never had any problems.
Wait, do you mean that if you scan the bar code and tracking number doesnt come up on DIAD you enter ASDASD instead of manually punching in the tracking number?

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Wait, do you mean that if you scan the bar code and tracking number doesnt come up on DIAD you enter ASDASD instead of manually punching in the tracking number?

no not that. if that happens i know how to type in the 1z tracking number. but sometimes a the diad will take the tracking number but it still will show nothing on the screen (after you press down arrow) as far as package information is concerned. i was told by another driver that you can just type asdasd and then for the package sequence # which will be the next 3 digit series of numbers, you can do asd again.

Last edited:

WyoBrown

no not that. if that happens i know how to type in the 1z tracking number. but sometimes a the diad will take the tracking number but it still will show nothing on the screen as far as package information is concerned. i was told by another driver that you can just type asdasd and then for the package sequence # which will be the next 3 digit series of numbers, you can do asd again.
Ah okay, that makes sense but I admit I was hopeful that I could somehow get away with punching in the tracking code. I hate having to stop and do that, especially at a bulk stop like Walmart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Use the "Find BC" feature to avoid having to type in the whole 18 digit 1Z. You have to be in the stop to use this feature. Simply hit the scan button, hit Find BC, and then type in the last 4 digits on the 1Z either off the pkg or off the PAL, which may be easier as the font on the last 4 is bigger and easier to read. You may have two or more to choose from so you will have to double-check the label to make sure you select the correct 1Z. It may sound confusing but is much easier after you do it for awhile and it is much quicker than typing in the the whole 1Z. If the pkg has not been through EDD then you will have to type in the whole 1Z.

There has been a lot of information and disinformation given regarding sheeting ASD's that do not have the shipper number. The correct way is to use the first six letters of the shipper name (company) or, if that is not available, use the first six letters of the last name of the person sending the pkg. Of course, if there is a BIN #, use that--it is much longer than a shipper number and stands for Billing Identification Number and is used for those shippers that do not have a shipper number. If there is absolutely nothing in the shipper field, use "ASDASD" and then fill in the weight, L for letter and a number for a numerical weight. This is also the place to do weight corrections as shippers are billed off of the data entered by the driver if there is a conflict between the billing copy and the data entered at delivery (ASD says L while the actual weight is 5, you would enter 5 and a billing adjustment would be made internally.

WyoBrown

Upstate, great post! This is exactly what I love about this forum, the knowledge and the time all you good people take to make sure its shared and understood.

Here in wild WY, at least my slice of it, we don't have PAS. Ironically, we have been set up for it but the final installation has been put off for whatever reason. So for now, I will punch in those god awful tracking numbers if need be.

myback

carry oncall air and ground docs have cust fill out and sign use original shipnumber and bill to reciever . i gotz to get paid.

myback

Upstate, great post! This is exactly what I love about this forum, the knowledge and the time all you good people take to make sure its shared and understood.

Here in wild WY, at least my slice of it, we don't have PAS. Ironically, we have been set up for it but the final installation has been put off for whatever reason. So for now, I will punch in those god awful tracking numbers if need be.
i'll tell you why they put-off pas at you ctr, because it blows. who pays a billion dollars for a system that loses money. who ever came up with this great idea is the greatest snake-oil salesman there ever was

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yo man, y'all hook up myback, he gotz to get paid. Yo man, PAS blows, we dun wasted all dat money.

I have often found that the success of new technology is dependant upon how much effort the user puts in to ensuring its success. I have also found that people who criticize this technology either do not comprehend it or are unable or unwilling to put forth the effort to comprehend it. Sound familiar, myback? PAS/EDD is here to stay so I suggest you get with the program.