Not a 30 year job?

ITwannabe

Safety rules they don't teach:

Always step off truck backwards holding handrail and box on floor,

Nope.

Never fold in mirror.

Why not?

Carry heavies on shoulder; avoid carrying in front, or better yet carry all over 30 lbs with cart.

Shoulder is not in your power zone.

Roll boxes out the back door on to cart.

What if the delivery is to be made out of the passenger door?

Never pull loaded cart up stairs.

Would you prefer that I push it up the stairs?

Don't bother climbing porch steps.

So we should toss the package on to the porch?

Don't bend back or knees either to lower/drop pkg.

Bend at waist and drop?

Hold pkgs with thumb neutral...joint at the base of thumb wears out more than any other joint , including knees.

WTH is "thumb neutral"?

Pivot in seat before standing up.

Yup.

Never fasten seat belt with 1 arm.

I do it all day long.

Move heavies from under shelves before lifting.

Well......duh.

Never enter/exit on driver's side.

It is perfectly acceptable to do this with smaller packages.
Slide packages onto porch
Cart packages up to stairs then take off and carry each up or down the stairs.
And carrying a carpet or long box on your shoulder is perfectly fine as long as it's not too heavy

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Slide packages onto porch
Cart packages up to stairs then take off and carry each up or down the stairs.
And carrying a carpet or long box on your shoulder is perfectly fine as long as it's not too heavy

Still with carpets. I treat rugs as an over weight. Out the back onto the ground. I avoid carrying anything on my shoulders.

KOG72

I’m full of it
If you go out here everyday and kill yourself by running or trying to be a hero for management you'll never make it.Slow and easy will win this race.Be smart!!!!

Faceplanted

Properly lifting with your shoulder/head is safer then the power zone with many package types. The power zone puts massive amounts of stress on your Lower back. Your power zone also wasted massive amounts of energy compared to a safe shoulder lift/head lift. There's is safe and unsafe ways to do this just as everything else

Every ancient civilization uses/used their head/shoulder to carry massive weight and walk far. I have been doing this for the past 5 years and wont go back. You just need to relieze what a rotator cuff can and cant do.

Faceplanted

You disagree upstate? Based on what? chiropractor spine compression mumbo jumbo? Fighter pilots hit 4 gs. That's compression.

After traveling to some foreign places and seeing the great shape they were in at 60/70 after years and years of hard work I started seeing how they actually work. You can learn a lot from these people.

People think they know how to be safe, these same people have huge wallets that they sit on all day. This is far more damaging to your body than lifting on your shoulder when the package type allows

Using your handrail to hold your body weight is bad for your shoulder as well and it's an awkward position. If the ground is clear with no snow or ice it's best on your body to simple step off slowly.

Hand rail or no handrail, if you fall the only difference will be if you twist your ankle or ruin your shoulder.

Last edited:

JL 0513

Agreed. It is physically very awkward to carry a long box/carpet at waist level. That's more damaging to your body than safely propping it on you shoulder. Unless it is very heavy of course at which point you either balance it on a hand cart or better yet back the PC up and just slide it out the back onto the ground. I don't agree with the UPS method of never carrying a package on your shoulder.

35years

Gravy route
I had back/disk problems until...
I realized that I could carry a heavy rug on my shoulder without the discomfort that a similar package carry in the "Power Zone" would cause.
So I started using the shoulder carry for situations where a cart was impossible... carrying out front just compressed the vertebrae too much.
I have had 20 years without a single back issue since switching.
Some people have rotator cuff issues and it would not work for them. Also, you have to be careful with the balance point.
I think UPS's objection to the shoulder carry is probably motivated by not wanting the pkgs to fall so far.
BTW when I started the standard for handling pkgs was not hand to surface, I believe a 6 inch drop was considered OK.
How many backs have been ruined by trying to bend that extra 6 inches?

The point is that it is important not to blindly accept the methods, but to evaluate what will lessen the impact on your body.
I am not going to wear out my knees or back climbing porch stairs or gingerly placing a clothing bag on the ground.

The mindset has to become "how can I do the job so I will last 30 years"
Not just "how can I do the job so I get done faster"

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Hold pkgs with thumb neutral...joint at the base of thumb wears out more than any other joint , including knees.

WTH is "thumb neutral"?
It means do not use the Vulcan death grip to hold packages. Take your thumb out of the lift/carry whenever possible. Cup the pkg with your whole hand and use two hands rather than one. Do not "squeeze" the steering wheel. Also be aware of overusing/overstretching your right thumb with the DIAD for sheeting.

Foamer Pyle

If you go out here everyday and kill yourself by running or trying to be a hero for management you'll never make it.Slow and easy will win this race.Be smart!!!!
I disagree, because no matter how slow you go, and how safe you try and work, when you get into your 50's like me, your body will struggle with large boxes in the 60lb and up range. I have been doing this for over 27 years, and used to think I was indestructible. Time has a way of slowly chipping away at your body. I used to work out religiously into my early 40's, then my shoulders started bothering me. All of those years of grabbing a hand rail in a high step truck. Everyone's body is different, and some folks will hold up better than others. All it takes is one wrong move on a day you are tired and over dispatched to damage your body. There are guys at my building with less than 10 years in, and their knees are already shot. Could be genetic, who knows. However, i do agree that a person must work as safe as possible.

I disagree, because no matter how slow you go, and how safe you try and work, when you get into your 50's like me, your body will struggle with large boxes in the 60lb and up range. I have been doing this for over 27 years, and used to think I was indestructible. Time has a way of slowly chipping away at your body. I used to work out religiously into my early 40's, then my shoulders started bothering me. All of those years of grabbing a hand rail in a high step truck. Everyone's body is different, and some folks will hold up better than others. All it takes is one wrong move on a day you are tired and over dispatched to damage your body. There are guys at my building with less than 10 years in, and their knees are already shot. Could be genetic, who knows. However, i do agree that a person must work as safe as possible.
The first 20 years if my career using a high stepping truck without power steering, did a lot of damage