Not a 30 year job?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you hit a kid in the driveway and ups has stated that you are to follow Orion and you have witnesses who have heard the company stAte as a policy to back into the driveways... The company doesn't seem to have a leg to stand on even if they try to go back on the driver...
I have no problem with backing into driveways where I felt 100% comfortable, and it was an intelligent choice. But I never went more than 2-3 ft beyond the driveway entrance, because usually that is where the private and public property line is. At least in the state I was driving.

I think there are times where you can get away with it easily (rural/ suburban route, p8 or less etc.) and then times where it's bone head (p-12) and just a bad idea, no matter what ORION says. Subjective.

I have no problem with backing into driveways where I felt 100% comfortable, and it was an intelligent choice. But I never went more than 2-3 ft beyond the driveway entrance, because usually that is where the private and public property line is. At least in the state I was driving.

I think there are times where you can get away with it easily (rural/ suburban route, p8 or less etc.) and then times where it's bone head (p-12) and just a bad idea, no matter what ORION says. Subjective.
Orion has you doing the opposite of what you have been taught all of these years.

StoptheAct1212

Almost 20 years in and im going to try another 18 to 20... that will be about 38 with good behavior.... serving my prison sentence. They let me go home at night, and weekends. This job is not for everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lots of debate on whether the job is more physical today or back in the day.

-Today we get more stops, more pieces, more heavy weights, more hours
-Years ago, the worst thing was awful package cars

We still have some lingering 1980's no power steering, high step/narrow cab and door, manuals. Comparing first hand doing a day with one of these POS vs a newer car, I find virtually all the "work" is actually just fighting those old PC's. Just steering with no power steering drains more energy than any other task of the day. Add the clutch work and 2 foot high step and IMO the job was more physically demanding when you had to go out everyday in those PC's. I feel like I could do 40 more stops in a current package car and feel less worn out at the end of the day.

So I'd take the job as it is today because of the modern comforts and conveniences.

There is no question that the job is much more physical today.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Had 14 over 70s yesterday, all resi route. If I called for help on each I would get punched in the head multiple times.

Re-Raise

image.jpeg I'd go with trinket
Great job on so many years of service. I have to ask...the pin, is it even made of any precious metals like silver or gold or even rhodium or is it just another junk trinket?

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
We've been instructed to back into the end of the driveway just far enough to get out of the street if Orion has us going the opposite direction and there isn't a turn around near. This was said in multiple PCMs by management with stewards present. I don't make the rules man, I just play the game.

I back as far as my package car will go. If I can, all the way to the front door.