Not a 30 year job?

MC0493

So I've read alot on here that many people think this job can no longer be a viable 30+ year career. I'm curious as to the reasoning, I can probably guess some things but I'd like to see what everyone's reasoning is. At the moment I'd like for this to be the job I retire from, mainly since I don't have another plan b since this was plan b.

So I've read alot on here that many people think this job can no longer be a viable 30+ year career. I'm curious as to the reasoning, I can probably guess some things but I'd like to see what everyone's reasoning is. At the moment I'd like for this to be the job I retire from, mainly since I don't have another plan b since this was plan b.
Because it gets harder by the minute.
More pressure, more harassment.

But you go for it. And if you are lucky you can have 75 years of service like @olroadbeech

MC0493

The pressure and harassment was something i was thinking of, but with the right mindset you can tune that stuff out most days. And indeed, have to remind myself some days its a marathon, not a race, work for the long haul.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would suggest following the personal safety guidelines closely.
Lifting, carrying and other physical strains all take their toll over decades.
UPS stresses safe driving but the individual should obsess on their own safety.
70 pounds is the limit for good reason ... Get help from the customer.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Or another Union member

150 is the limit
You can request help for an over 70.
But I wouldn't ask most customers to help, especially at home stops.

The majority of my over 70"s isn't to my commercial customers. It's to the residentials

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'd like to think I can pull off 30+ by doing everything as easy on my body as possible; using handrail, not carrying packages up and down car steps, using hand cart for anything remotely heavy, etc. Biggest problem if I can't is that I don't think I'd remember how to do anything else for work.

MC0493

I need to refocus on the person safety. Got some bad habits that'll bite me in the long run. Bad habit of getting off the car with packages in left hand and not using the handrail.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
150 is the limit
You can request help for an over 70.
But I wouldn't ask most customers to help, especially at home stops.

The majority of my over 70"s isn't to my commercial customers. It's to the residentials
Try to get a handcart to not have to carry anything over 40 pounds.
Short term lifting does not compress your vertebra like a 30 second carry.

Last edited: