Not Impressed

mngirl101

Ok I've wanted to become a UPS driver for the last 20 years, And I finally did it last christmas, I was Hired off the street as a seasonal temp driver and rehired again this summer for the same. I have been sent home 2 days this week when some drivers don't want to work? I also haven't found 1 driver that is happy. Do I want to stay and be miserable too? I would like to have pride and respect in the company I work for. Please give me some feed back.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Ok..well..how about be happy you didn't have to work as a p/t for 20 years before getting hired as a driver.

You jumped to the head of the line and got one of the most sought after jobs UPS has to offer. Take pride in just knowing that. Respect the fact that most people here do the time before they drive.

Do you want to stay and be miserable too? Only you can answer that...but the thought you are debating it says a lot. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't mind being "miserable" in your place...

JMHO.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Ok..well..how about be happy you didn't have to work as a p/t for 20 years before getting hired as a driver.

You jumped to the head of the line and got one of the most sought after jobs UPS has to offer. Take pride in just knowing that. Respect the fact that most people here do the time before they drive.

Do you want to stay and be miserable too? Only you can answer that...but the thought you are debating it says a lot. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't mind being "miserable" in your place...

JMHO.

Well said. Not only the most sought after jobs at UPS, but in general.

Full-time driver is YOUR opinion about what is saught after and what isn't. Believe me, alot of inside guys would not trade places in the world for 5 and change an hour more. Isn't worth it considering some of these 22.3 jobs are easy as cake.

They're saying most sought after in general, not most sought after by everyone. Believe me, there are 20 times more people saying "I wish I could be a driver" rather than saying "I wish I had a 22.3 job inside!".

Ok I've wanted to become a UPS driver for the last 20 years, And I finally did it last christmas, I was Hired off the street as a seasonal temp driver and rehired again this summer for the same. I have been sent home 2 days this week when some drivers don't want to work? I also haven't found 1 driver that is happy. Do I want to stay and be miserable too? I would like to have pride and respect in the company I work for. Please give me some feed back.

Sounds like you wanted something before you even knew what it was like? Did you want to be a driver for the pay or because it appealed to you? And does it still appeal to you now that you've done it? I don't wanna be mean, but if you're not sure if you "want to be miserable" then step aside and let someone with 10 years in the building get the chance.

Channahon

You are kidding right? Wanting to be a UPS driver for the last 20 years? I can't imagine anyone waiting that long for any job at any company.
To answer your question - waiting 20 years, the job is miserable to your fellow workers, you haven't found 1 driver that is happy, and you're looking for answers.

I think you know the answer- you might want to go back to your previous career, as I'm guessing you're not happy at UPS either. Good luck.

helenofcalifornia

Your building must suck then. Yeah, just like every other job, there are people at UPS who don't like their job. It looks like you found out early that this job was not for you. Good. That means that someone who has been waiting for this opportunity to drive, and can put up with all the "misery," will get it.

Every driver at UPS gripes about their load, their day, their loader, etc. It doesn't mean they don't like their job or are out looking for another job. I have seen very, very few drivers quit to go to another job.

I am glad you have decided that UPS is not for you, because I think you would be miserable and very unhappy if you worked here.

UPS GIRL

Isn't any job what you make of it??

I hear a lot of bitching and moaning from my fellow drivers everyday. But, the majority of them would never leave. They like they paycheck & for the most part like the job. It's all just talk....I don't take any of it seriously.

I don't bitch and wine and complain. In fact, when I'm not smiling and upbeat my co-workers immediatly want to know what's wrong. They all say the like to work with me, cause its "fun". For the most part I like my job. Maybe it's your attitude that needs the adjustment....

brownrodster

Isn't any job what you make of it??

I hear a lot of bitching and moaning from my fellow drivers everyday. But, the majority of them would never leave. They like they paycheck & for the most part like the job.

Some people like me love the action and the fast paced nature of being a UPS driver. I like doing a different route every day. I like being lost in the middle of nowhere and having to figure stuff out. Even if I'm pissed off and cursing that damn preloader who misloaded something or cursing the preload sup who gave me a stupid split I'm still enjoying the action. I think it's a great job! If you see me at the end of an 11 hour day and I'm exhausted and grumpy don't let that turn you off. I'm really just thinking about how tomorrow I can do better on the new route that just kicked my ass.

cino321

I never have a bad day. I may curse throughout my day every now and then, but I look forward to it everyday. I come to work happy, love being outside, love being alone, and work with for the most part what I would consider good people.

Are there bad days? Of course, but with those bad days, there are good days too. Gotta take the good with the bad.

This company is what you make it. If they give me nonsense, I give them some back. That's all. At the end of the day, don't take it personally, and don't bring your job home.

You'll be fine.

At the end of the day don't let others attitude rub off on you...In the morning I tell the negative people who complain about 7 hours of work that are 12 hour days. To do it in the bathroom stall. Then I offer to swap diads for the day.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Not sure how old you are, but if you wanted to be a driver for 20 years I don't think you will make it to retirement. Unless you wanted to be a driver since you were like five years old. The job is what you make of it. No one said it would be easy.

mngirl101

Ok you guys gave some good feed back. I'm not complaining about the work at all, i love it! Everyone i work with just seem so grim, i'm very positive and upbeat and don't want become that way. I don't like getting sent home! I've been a professional driver for over 20 years so i've paid my dues, i wanna work!!

filthpig

It's a harder job than most, for sure. But believe me, I know plenty of people who are sick of having nothing to do all day. Unemployment sucks (so I hear).

Babagounj

Strength through joy
They're saying most sought after in general, not most sought after by everyone. Believe me, there are 20 times more people saying "I wish I could be a driver" rather than saying "I wish I had a 22.3 job inside!".
I have an easy 22.3 job, and everyday I think about quitting. Oh I know what it is to be a full time driver, been there done that, and it still sucks. Just because my current mgt team is too lazy to actually "train " someone to read a map does not automatically mean that I am willing to cover their asses. I've "paid my dues " several times over; my body is shot, yet the "fools" who I have to call "bosses" are do not care. Its all a numbers game to them. :angry:

Ok you guys gave some good feed back. I'm not complaining about the work at all, i love it! Everyone i work with just seem so grim, i'm very positive and upbeat and don't want become that way. I don't like getting sent home! I've been a professional driver for over 20 years so i've paid my dues, i wanna work!!
I don't know what you want to hear, but this forum is loaded with threads that detail what drivers, loaders, unloaders and management love and hate about UPS. Perspective is paramount in any job you have, the kicker is YOUR perspective. My brother would say, " It's all mind over matter. If you you don't mind, it don't freakin matter." That is about as true of a statement I have ever heard. All the feedback you will get here is someone else's perspective. Good Luck to you and whatever you decide to do.

S

speeddemon

Run Forest Run.....