NOT the Best Contract Ever

Johney

Just look at the auto industry if you think you can always see your pay increasing while competitors come along and do the same work for less money. If you don't stay competitive, kiss your jobs and security goodbye.
Can you really compare us to the auto industry? I mean can they really send our jobs overseas? Yes the competition is there but they aren't really in a position to take us out.

UPS Lifer

Can you really compare us to the auto industry? I mean can they really send our jobs overseas? Yes the competition is there but they aren't really in a position to take us out.

You are correct. Volume has to go for layoffs to happen. If the cost of delivering a package is too high and the price of a package goes up and the customers go away then I would worry!

Delivered

$6.1 billion is a huge number! But, that's only what they are paying to 'buy out' of CS. They also will pay to fund a new pension fund....unless I read wrong.

I thought I heard it was 4.1 Billion to buyout CS and the other 2 Billion would fund the New Joint Pension Program , but I could be wrong...

Johney

If the competition intended on shutting UPS down didn't they have a good opertunity(sp?) in 1997? Competion is there but can they really handle all the volume? I don't think so.

You made alot of sense till you added that stupid comment. Can you back up that wisecrack with who and why you would think something as stupid as that?

It was actually more of a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I guess the sarcasm didn't come across that well. Just look at the title of this thread and the very first post. The guy is complaining that it isn't the best contract ever and appears to be implying that $9 isn't enough of an increase. 804, I know you've seen plenty of other posts like this on these forums as well. I think that if we're honest with ourselves we can all agree that we're well compensated for what we do. Do we work damn hard and earn every penny? Absolutely. But just because they company is making money, it doesn't mean we're not getting enough. It's a good thing when they make money. I for one, want them to make money hand over fist. The more money they have in the bank, the more they're able to expand, the more they're able to replace aging equipment, the more they're able to withstand a slowing economy. Healthy profits = a healthy company. I'd much rather work for a healthy company than one that teeters on the edge of profitability.

agitator

These posts are making me sick..."our salaries are "high enough"..we are "well compensated"... Was mike eskew's $1.2 million ENOUGH in 2001 or $3.1 million ENOUGH in 2005 or his $6.1 million in 2006 ????Did ups stock go up by 600%?? NO!!! But his compensation did!!!..How come WE HAVE TO SUCK IT UP AND TAKE IT!!! It was US , the rank-and-file who created the profits in this company...NOT THE EMPTY SUITS!!!!WAKE UP...this contract not only "not the best contract ever", its probably the WORST YET...35 cents on aug 1st of next year???? That is a shot across the bow...hoffa and kenny boy are ****in useless!!

local804

It was actually more of a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I guess the sarcasm didn't come across that well. Just look at the title of this thread and the very first post. The guy is complaining that it isn't the best contract ever and appears to be implying that $9 isn't enough of an increase. 804, I know you've seen plenty of other posts like this on these forums as well. I think that if we're honest with ourselves we can all agree that we're well compensated for what we do. Do we work damn hard and earn every penny? Absolutely. But just because they company is making money, it doesn't mean we're not getting enough. It's a good thing when they make money. I for one, want them to make money hand over fist. The more money they have in the bank, the more they're able to expand, the more they're able to replace aging equipment, the more they're able to withstand a slowing economy. Healthy profits = a healthy company. I'd much rather work for a healthy company than one that teeters on the edge of profitability.

My apologies for not seeing the sarcasm intended.

homer123

You make a good point about the credit rating. Did you read about this? I would like to check out the article.

I am not sure that a lot of people understand that all retired folks/shareholders have a vested interest in everything that happens. I still think (even though it may affect me in the pocket book) that bailing out the Central States is the right thing to do. I just hope that the voting members realize this.
Go to makeupsdeliver.org. the 3rd article is about the agreement w/ a link to Bloomberg.com. The article discusses the possible affect on UPS AAA rating. More importantly it says the $6.1B is a pretax amount & that CS will probably only see $3.9B. Now if everyone was counting on the full amount to shore up the fund, where does that leave the fund if uncle Sam gets $2+B. What is this tax? I'm still trying to find out if this is taxable because it is not yet earned income but a buy-out so may be considered a gift or other taxable income for CSPF.

ups79

Don't you assume the tax will be a benefit UPS will receive, thus making our federal tax responibility as a corporation less. Just a thought.

UPS Lifer

If the competition intended on shutting UPS down didn't they have a good opertunity(sp?) in 1997? Competion is there but can they really handle all the volume? I don't think so.

Back in '97 the competition was FedEx. They were not ready to handle the volume. Packages sat everywhere. UPS handled 6% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). FDX struggled with the service because they were busting at the seams. They were turning away the business because they couldn't handle it.

Here is the key: Customers did not have a choice once the strike was over. If they wanted their goods delivered they needed to come back to UPS. We did not let them down and the Teamsters got behind the campaign to recover the volume.

Fed Ex did not have a solid network in place. Since '97, Fedex and DHL have the ground network and capacity to take most of the volume away. They may struggle initially but UPS will lose volume and more importantly the volume will not come back.

God forbid there is a strike...As the volume dries up, UPS will shrink the network quickly and if necessary let buildings sit. There will be mass layoffs. UPS will become a 3rd rate carrier.

This is a different world than what was around back in the last century. I think the Teamster strategy should be to get UPS to help in what ever way is legal and not hurt the company's reputation to level the organized labor playing field. Priority needs to see a massive organized labor campaign aimed at FedEx and DHL.

The Teamsters have not sold anyone out on this contract. This contract is a colaboration of efforts on both sides to protect each sides interests without losing market share in the transporation sector. Right now, the success of the Teamsters is tied to UPS. The leverage isn't there. If FDX and DHL were organized there would be a much different scenario!

Bottom Line: UPS is union and Fedex isn't - How long do you think you can go without feeling the pinch?

homer123

Don't you assume the tax will be a benefit UPS will receive, thus making our federal tax responibility as a corporation less. Just a thought.
If market experts are saying the net will be $3.9B due to a tax and the overall debt to CSPF may affect UPS's AAA rating then it would be foolish for anyone to assume anything. Does UPS need to be financially strong? Absolutely!! Does it need to do so at the expense of those that worked 25-30 years to help build their reputation as the industry leader? One comment I read in this or another thread was (in effect) "after retirement the IBT owes you nothing."
So much for solidarity. We are in the CSPF because the IBT arranged or agreed to put us there. If the UPS plan is that viable then let those in the CSPF have the option to move their monies into it. TAKE US OUT? TAKE US ALONG!

si_dan

For people in local 804. UPS is going to drop $18 mil into the pension fund to get it back
to where it was before the cuts. Sorry no increase in sight. The kicker is this is a loan that has to be repaid. The money is going to come out of our wage increase so we will get ten cents less the first year of the contract($.60).

Griff

All this "FedEx and DHL could take the volume" stuff doesnt scare me at all. That is typical management rhetoric and we've all heard it before. Nothing can scare me away from striking, if striking is necessary, it wouldn't matter if UPS said they would go belly up. If they can afford to pay their managers 600% bonuses on their total salary, why should I be scared about striking? It's just a job to me, I would probably lose about 10k a year but I would find another job. I'm at UPS to make money, the more I make the better I live, simple as that. I fail to understand the logic behind some of the people here who go around claiming to be content with their current salary.

local804

For people in local 804. UPS is going to drop $18 mil into the pension fund to get it back
to where it was before the cuts. Sorry no increase in sight. The kicker is this is a loan that has to be repaid. The money is going to come out of our wage increase so we will get ten cents less the first year of the contract($.60).

Looks like we will wait and see what happens. Im out at 25 years even if they take another 30% off of it. I have enough years grandfathered at a full pension and my side investments will carry me over the hump. Good luck to all the new employees though.

In 1997 another driver and I worked at Airborne Express for 2 days(bought out by DHL) There were mountains of packages. The manager said the next time UPS goes on strike, they would be ready.

Here in chicago dhl belongs to local 705 the same teamsters local that ups is in. Just wondering because from what i read on other sites i was under the impression that dhl was unionized across the us.

The old Airborne Express is union. But not all over the country.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
One comment I read in this or another thread was (in effect) "after retirement the IBT owes you nothing."
So much for solidarity.

I posted that, Homer. And I stand by it. The Teamsters are not LEGALLY bound to represent you after retirement. Whether or not they do is up to them.

As to solidarity....don't get me started on that. -Rocky

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
These posts are making me sick..."our salaries are "high enough"..we are "well compensated"... Was mike eskew's $1.2 million ENOUGH in 2001 or $3.1 million ENOUGH in 2005 or his $6.1 million in 2006 ????Did ups stock go up by 600%?? NO!!! But his compensation did!!!..How come WE HAVE TO SUCK IT UP AND TAKE IT!!! It was US , the rank-and-file who created the profits in this company...NOT THE EMPTY SUITS!!!!WAKE UP...this contract not only "not the best contract ever", its probably the WORST YET...35 cents on aug 1st of next year???? That is a shot across the bow...hoffa and kenny boy are ****in useless!!

I agree!!! I am barely paid enough to put up with the stuff that happens here everyday. Stuck in the snow is a charged accident? "Who is going to take care of you family after you lose your job? I can't help you if something bad happens, you need to improve these numbers to prevent that." The numbers are my god and I shall have no other god before the numbers. This could be a great job but as it is I am only here for my family, maybe I love them to much.