November 1st, Welcome to Peak!!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Here we go!! Just because they can, the company cut 3 routes today and put on 3 helpers to take up the slack!! Had drivers dispatched with 200+ stops but they had a helper for 3hrs!! Every route in the building had an extra 15-20 stops today. I came in just after 10 hours and there were still more than half the drivers on the road. The 3 that had helpers all had to give away stops to other drivers. One of them had 3 different guys come help. At 4:30pm a message went out to every driver in the center saying, "be prepared to go help with stops tonight, call before returning to the building"

I will never understand the way this company does things. Why try to kill the people that carry the load for an entire month before the busy season even starts? Wednesday last week we had basically the same volume as today, ran 3 more routes and still had more than half the drivers over 9.5, so it makes good sense to some dumb ***** in a cubicle somewhere in Oz to do it with 3 less routes today?

Sorry for the rambling, I need a drink!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The thing that really pisses me off about it is that 3 full time drivers went home today!! Came to work and voluntereed to take the day off without pay so the company could get away with working the helpers at 1/3rd the driver pay.

We all ned to send the company a message, stand together and demand you are put to work. They cannot work the helpers until every driver is working(unless they volunteer for a day off without pay). Take all 3 of your 8hr day requests you have coming before the Monday after Thanksgiving and make it as difficult as possible for the company to use the helpers!! These guys don't get how they are shooting themselves in the foot taking days off. The company is not doing it to be nice. They are screwing everyone that is still working. Enough of the "ME" attitude!! Stand together for all your brothers and sisters and make the company work you!!

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
There is no way they should be allowed to cut routes and send drivers home and use helpers.

They should not be allowed to use helpers unless all the drivers are on the road, period.

Also how do they figure peak starts nov 1? Next contract should have peak as starting after turkey day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Volume dictates when Peak starts--not the contract.

I do agree that it is BS to send or ask drivers to go home so that they can use helpers.

Last edited:

UpsguyDGAF

Oct-Dec its friend'd up even more. The company can use more helpers,part timers, whatever and does not need to promote. Then come Dec/January they start firing people more. AAAWWWEEESOOOMMEEE !

tourists24

I do agree that it is BS to send or ask drivers to go home so that they can use helpers.
Contractually the company cannot send a driver home and use helpers. If drivers are going home then it is a voluntary thing... there are ways to stop it but there always seem to be those volunteering to go home

screamin chicken

You are so lucky it's been that way here for over a year now, They were putting certain drivers over there max an using helpers in street clothes. Now they just don't use helpers, I have a planned day at 170 everyday, and thats in the Grey ...lol
Well it is what it is oh and the union lets it happened......:angry:

rocket man

I think you are fibbing mr uppstatenyer. Talking loud about drivers going home and helpers working you made this post at 404 pm or 1604 pm where were you at this time of the day? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you are fibbing mr uppstatenyer. Talking loud about drivers going home and helpers working you made this post at 404 pm or 1604 pm where were you at this time of the day? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sitting on my recliner in the middle of my 1545/1630 lunch break. I had a bowl of Corn Pops while watching "The New Adventures of Old Christine". Thanks for asking.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The thing that really pisses me off about it is that 3 full time drivers went home today!! Came to work and voluntereed to take the day off without pay so the company could get away with working the helpers at 1/3rd the driver pay.

We all ned to send the company a message, stand together and demand you are put to work. They cannot work the helpers until every driver is working(unless they volunteer for a day off without pay). Take all 3 of your 8hr day requests you have coming before the Monday after Thanksgiving and make it as difficult as possible for the company to use the helpers!! These guys don't get how they are shooting themselves in the foot taking days off. The company is not doing it to be nice. They are screwing everyone that is still working. Enough of the "ME" attitude!! Stand together for all your brothers and sisters and make the company work you!!
Most stewards I see daily are those same "me" people. That is what UPS is famous for, turning employees into the "me" types at whatever cost.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
either a cover driver goes home or a fulltime goes home, but that doesnt affect the number of routes run that day, gives the older guys a break, one day all of you will be the old high senority guy so be patient, also helpers started in my center the second week of October, its the new ups