November 1st, Welcome to Peak!!!

What'dyabringmetoday???

Sitting on my recliner in the middle of my 1545/1630 lunch break. I had a bowl of Corn Pops while watching "The New Adventures of Old Christine". Thanks for asking.
Don't really want to start a fight, but you really should not be proud to take lunch outside of contractual hours. I know many free thinkers believe it has no effect, but racing around to make all the commitments and taking lunches later in the day DOES aid in reduced runs on the road. It will never change though. Funny how people will jump on the union band wagon when something affects them, but not until. This is a general statement and not directed at you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't really want to start a fight, but you really should not be proud to take lunch outside of contractual hours. I know many free thinkers believe it has no effect, but racing around to make all the commitments and taking lunches later in the day DOES aid in reduced runs on the road. It will never change though. Funny how people will jump on the union band wagon when something affects them, but not until. This is a general statement and not directed at you.

Would you prefer that I join the gang of 6 or 7 who sit at the Mobil station between 6 and 7pm?

You are right but at this point the mold has been cast.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When your "ME-STERS" pension starts direct depositing, Is that when your going to be a proud union member ?

I am a union member by default. There are many things that unions (not just ours) do that I simply don't agree with. For example, members of the CWA are still holding informational pickets in front of Verizon Wireless stores with the message that VZW are destroying middle class jobs. I thought the Verizon strike had been settled--I guess I was wrong.

The pension that I will start collecting in 2019 will be my reward for 30 years of service to UPS. Yes, the NYS Teamsters Pension Fund manages our pension, investing the contributions wisely to ensure consistent returns, but UPS funds the pension based upon the hours that I work.

I will never be a proud union member. I don't need someone to tell me how to think or how to behave while at work. I come in, do my job, keep my mouth shut and go home.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I can't stand "me-sters".

Maybe you should look in the mirror Dave, You are the epitomy of a ME-Ster, one example is stated by your own admission that you were sitting home on your lunch for 1545/1630!! I assure you that is outside your contractual agreement, but you pick the articles that suit YOU!!!!

Don't even come on here talking that crap. I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you should look in the mirror Dave, You are the epitomy of a ME-Ster, one example is stated by your own admission that you were sitting home on your lunch for 1545/1630!! I assure you that is outside your contractual agreement, but you pick the articles that suit YOU!!!!

Don't even come on here talking that crap. I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that!!

Google "sarcasm', Grocer.

grgrcr88

either a cover driver goes home or a fulltime goes home, but that doesn't affect the number of routes run that day, gives the older guys a break, one day all of you will be the old high seniority guy so be patient, also helpers started in my center the second week of October, its the new ups

No sir you are wrong, and that is exactly what pisses me off!! Contractually all seniority drivers must be working before any helpers. So, if the higher seniority guys stop volunteering for days off, they have to find something for the cover drivers to do, even if it is to use them as helpers,(at their regular rate of pay by the way) so you are causing the problem by taking days off.

By the way I am a 22 year employee so don't think I don't have ample opportunity to go home!!

grgrcr88

Who funded that pension? Just sayin.

Who gave their blood, sweat and tears to force your employer to recognize Unions and their bargaining rights so they could negotiate that pension? You really think you would have a pension at all if it were not for your Union?

Just sayin!!

grgrcr88

I am a union member by default. There are many things that unions (not just ours) do that I simply don't agree with. For example, members of the CWA are still holding informational pickets in front of Verizon Wireless stores with the message that VZW are destroying middle class jobs. I thought the Verizon strike had been settled--I guess I was wrong.

The pension that I will start collecting in 2019 will be my reward for 30 years of service to UPS. Yes, the NYS Teamsters Pension Fund manages our pension, investing the contributions wisely to ensure consistent returns, but UPS funds the pension based upon the hours that I work.

I will never be a proud union member. I don't need someone to tell me how to think or how to behave while at work. I come in, do my job, keep my mouth shut and go home.

Another post full of ignorance!! Do you have any idea what the CWA's message is about? Why condemn something you obviously don't understand?

Do you really believe that UPS just gives that money to your pension fund out of the goodness of their hearts? That carefully negotiated dollar figure was put there by the Teamsters for you to enjoy so you would not have to work until your dead. You state that UPS funds the pension. How do you think they make that money? It just magically appears there? No, it came from the sweat of many hard working Union members! So in effect it is us that funded our own pension plan!!

What do you think the company does everyday? How many rules do they have? Last I checked there was a 77 page book full of methods that must be followed 100%. What do you think would happen to you without a Union contract in place to protect you? The company could set your wages where ever they wanted. You think you would still be making $48hr with all your negotiated benefits? You think they would not get rid of the older guys that cost the most money, just because they could? You better be damn glad you have that Union standing up for you and every other member!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Who gave their blood, sweat and tears to force your employer to recognize Unions and their bargaining rights so they could negotiate that pension? You really think you would have a pension at all if it were not for your Union?

Just sayin!!

We are both 22 year employees. It wasn't you or me that gave our blood, sweat and tears back then. Relax. I have a union and I'm concerned if I will have a pension in 8 years. It's not a union pension, it's a pension administered by the union funded by employers. Thanks for the neg rep.

UPSGUY72

No peak here yet and next week isn't going to be the start either since no one had power all week so they couldn't order anything.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can't stand "me-sters".
Agree. Yes, it is bothersome when people (mgmt or hourly) are solely out for themselves, but it's best to relinquish any aspirations or hope for change and just settle for going home everyday. That is somewhat selfish and "me-ster", but What happens between punch in and punch out is no longer relevant in my life- that is what UPS breeds - reap what you sow, I guess.