Obama is furious over oil spill

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Tooner,

my apologies, I sensed from your writings that you were merely repeating what you "heard" vs what you researched. The problem I have with your position and that of the right wing media monster (fox news) is the position that OBAMA didnt act fast enough. (?)

What does this mean exactly?

From day one (1), he placed an admiral in charge (Thad Allen) who has vast experience with the seas and maritime laws.

In the begining, IT WAS BP who was lying to the White House over the severity of the problem. IT WAS BP who told the White House they would have it under control. IT WAS BP who lied about the levels of crude that was pumping out of the pipes. IT WAS BP who FAILED to advise the White House that toxic gases were also leaking out of the broken pipe and contaminating the sea water beneath the surface.

BP has LIED about everything related to this accident and somehow trying to place blame on OBAMA for not doing something sooner is laughable at best.

I realize the political aspects of this accident, the republicans are trying to make this OBAMA's KATRINA, but there is one big difference, OBAMA has been on top of this from the start.

There are over 40 goverment officials on this accident and they have been there since day one. Thousands of ships were in the area immediately, resources were mobilized within hours and the coast guard provided immediate responses.

All this talk about not reacting faster, well, what exactly could have been done faster? Specifically?

I hear the right wing talking about the Jones act, and how there are hundreds of ships out there that OBAMA isnt allowing to help clean up this mess, but what isnt said is the reality.

THERE ISNT ONE COUNTRY who has offered ships and has been turned away.

I listened to Cavuto talk about the Jones act as well as Beck, and they both have it wrong. The JONES act isnt something that can be waived in a blanket fashion, it has to be waived on a SHIP BY SHIP basis. To date, NOT ONE ship has asked for this act to be waived and any representation of such is a complete lie.

I appreciate your concern for the sea and its life contained within it, yes, you and I can disagree on many things, but on this I think we can find some common ground. If we can leave the politics out of the "mix", I think we can agree that the life in the gulf is in serious peril.

NO number of ships or beach clean up can save the lives of the living creatures in the sea water in the gulf.

What I find, is that people are not informed on the damage that is being caused both on the surface and under the surface of the sea. The concentrations of chemicals now pollute hundreds of miles of sea water, and this cannot be cleaned up, siphoned out or diluted. The entire media system is deliberately leaving out the images of the thousands of dead fish, turtles, dolphins, crabs, plants and other life that are floating to the surface. On one beach alone, over 125 sea turtles have washed up dead. Where are the pics? Why are they being sensored away from the public? All media outlets are guilty of this not just FUX.

OBAMA has been at the mercy of the BP officials and from the start, they have been mis-informing him. As of tomorrow when he meets with BP's CEO that will change.

In the end, BP will be out of business and filed for bankruptcy protection. I agree with OBAMA and congress that BP dividends be stopped and a fund set aside for the cleanup LONG BEFORE BP has a chance to pay investors and file for BK protection.

I could care less about BP as a company, viable or not, after this mess, if they have any profits left then they can start over.

If you or anyone else can spell out anything that could have been done different, or you have heard anything from any right wing spokeshole that would lend itself to an alternative plan that could have prevented anything that has happened from happening, then I am all ears.

So far, all I have heard are the complaints from the right wing loons on FAUX and on Right wing am radio.

Like the old commercial once said : "WHERE'S THE BEEF"

Peace.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm a strong oppenment of nuclear energy. It's dirtier than oil, as far as I'm concerned.
You guys seem to forget the problem of nuclear waste, that remains extreme toxic for hundreds or thousands of years buried underground.

With solar panels getting cheaper by the day, due to ever larger production, I would rather see them put on every roof of homes and buildings.

Look up the city of Freiburg in Germany.
That whole city is powered by renewable energy. They had a news documentary about it.

So, again : In this day and age, I don't see any reason at all to build more nuclear plants.

tieguy

Banned
Dear other side. I know all about it. Fox news is hardly all I listen to. I listen all day, and leave my tv on all night. Im so informed that it makes most peoples heads spin. Ive contacted BP, Deep Horizon, River keepers,, ducks unlimited, risk management companies in the area, gulf oil spill jobs.
You would like to think that you are so dam smart, and everything I know comes from one source. You are sooooooooooooo misguided.
But right now I really dont care that Obama has been totally incompetent and that he should be concerned with stopping the spill instead of suing and blaming. His job is to safeguard our country, not run every aspect of it.

I am worried about the gases that could be making volunteers sick and searching for a way I can go help. I worry about the ducks and the pelicans and the wildlife and the economy of the people who make their living from the sea. And I worry from what I have read, listened to and researched that it could have been better from the start if Our great leader had moved as fast on this, as he does on the basketball court. Unfortunately he did not.

So please preach elsewhere, I dont need your awareness, I have my own, and my eyes and ears are always open to things I havent heard. Ive heard your crap, and it sounds like blah blah blah.
Here is an idea, put me on ignore. I read your posts, sometimes with interest, and I disagree usually, but I seldom try to tell you that I think you are uninformed. I have one judge, and it aint you.

Well said.

klein

I live within the 10 mile circle of San Onofre. I'm more scared of the I-5 that runs in front of it.

That's not the point. Besides there is always a tiny risk of something going wrong, or a direct earthquake hit, or some other natural or man made disaster.
Like I said... the nuclear waste, all that toxic crap left behind for 1000's of years.

I seen new eco subdivisions being built already, that heat/cool all the homes with that new underground central heating system.
Solar panels provide free electricity.

Yes, those homes are more expensive, but the owners can easily manage the higher mortgage by never having to pay for power or heat and a/c.
Actually, once or twice per year, each owner receives a check , from power being sold back to the power plant.

I think they built new skyscrapers and larger buildings using the same technoligies.
Montreal plans to build a large eco shopping mall, that will also provide power and heat to the new homes (division), that will also be built around and near the mall.

Thats the future. Not, going backwards using nuclear or coal, etc.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"That's not the point. "

Don't tell me, 'that's not the point' !! That was MY point ! Make your own point and don't squash mine.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I'm a strong oppenment of nuclear energy. It's dirtier than oil, as far as I'm concerned.
You guys seem to forget the problem of nuclear waste, that remains extreme toxic for hundreds or thousands of years buried underground.

With solar panels getting cheaper by the day, due to ever larger production, I would rather see them put on every roof of homes and buildings.

Look up the city of Freiburg in Germany.
That whole city is powered by renewable energy. They had a news documentary about it.

So, again : In this day and age, I don't see any reason at all to build more nuclear plants.

Dispelling the Myths About Nuclear Power

Nuclear energy is relatively clean, generating far less waste per unit of energy than any other major source and, based on the number of lives lost or people made ill, it is also far safer for human health. The benefits of nuclear energy are real, while the risks are mostly hypothetical. When decisions are made concerning future sources of electric power in the United States, facts, not fear, should be the basis for appraising the nuclear industry's place in the mix. :wink2:

klein

Dispelling the Myths About Nuclear Power

Nuclear energy is relatively clean, generating far less waste per unit of energy than any other major source and, based on the number of lives lost or people made ill, it is also far safer for human health. The benefits of nuclear energy are real, while the risks are mostly hypothetical. When decisions are made concerning future sources of electric power in the United States, facts, not fear, should be the basis for appraising the nuclear industry's place in the mix. :wink2:

Good, you go nuclear, and we'll stick to sun, wind and water. From Ontario west wards, we have no nuclear power at all (an area larger then the US).
And, I sure hope it stays that way !
And, no, none of western Canada's energy comes from Ontario or the east.
Western Canada, including large cities such as Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnepeg, get by without nuclear energy and waste.

For all I care, you can build another nuclear plant just to light up a few farms and lighthouses.
We'll continue using sunshine, wind & water.

Besides, we have such a surplus of enriched Uranium, we need keep selling to you.
Kinda like selling ice to eskimos. We like it.
It's not neccesary, but you guys love it.

Last edited:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Good, you go nuclear, and we'll stick to sun, wind and water.

Good luck with that!!:happy-very:

Nuclear Power in Canada

About 15% of Canada's electricity comes from nuclear power, with 18 reactors in three provinces providing over 12,600 MWe of power capacity.

Canada plans to expand its nuclear capacity over the next 10 years by building as many as nine new reactors.

For many years Canada has been a leader in nuclear research and technology, exporting reactor systems developed in Canada as well as a high proportion of the world supply of radioisotopes used in medical diagnosis and cancer therapy

klein

Good luck with that!!:happy-very:

Nuclear Power in Canada

About 15% of Canada's electricity comes from nuclear power, with 18 reactors in three provinces providing over 12,600 MWe of power capacity.

Canada plans to expand its nuclear capacity over the next 10 years by building as many as nine new reactors.

For many years Canada has been a leader in nuclear research and technology, exporting reactor systems developed in Canada as well as a high proportion of the world supply of radioisotopes used in medical diagnosis and cancer therapy

I did say western Canada, having zero ! I know Quebec and Ontario do. Gee, they make a killing selling to NY State, and other states.
Ask Upstate NY.... he gets his power from Hydro Quebec.

But, personally, I don't think we should be building anymore.
Alberta wants to build one to provide power to California.
I'm against it !
I really believe we don't need them any longer these days.
Powerplants are like Oil companies. They wanna grow, and they are doing a good job stopping alternative, greener energy, too.

Now, you might get my point ?
Don't need anymore, then we already have on planet earth !!!!!

But, the exports are great :
Canada was the world's largest uranium producer for many years, accounting for about 22% of world output, but in 2009 was overtaken by Kazakhstan.

Last edited:

klein

That included a $2.50/month meter charge. There were also 2 or 3 nights during that month when I had to turn on the heat.

I don't know of anyone or any home that has electric heating here. It's all natural gas, but that is a whole different company. And I pay up to $500/mth for heat in the winter months.
Electriticty, just powers my kitchen appliances, washer/dryer/ lights, and electronics, which is $80 - $120/mth depending on season.
And then I have water... about $35-$50 per mth.

Now, you know why I left to FL most of the winter.... couldn't afford the bills here !
Seriously, was 1 of the reasons..... kept thermostat at 50F, and thats it (and it's actually still set at 50F, because I don't need to heat now).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What I know is during every disaster I can remember, including Chernobyl, when we didnt get news 24/7, it was all that was talked about. Every earthquake, every sunami, every murder mystery, hurricane Katrina, 9/11, Haiti, etc.
No one seems to be on the beaches, no one is showing the oil killing dolphins, birds, oil covered boats. WHY?

And just a question to throw out, how does a boat run in an oil slick. I have two and isnt the motors in an outboard and an inboard cooled by the water it intakes, and just how does this affect their running ability. . I think we are being lied to that fishing boats are out there helping, I cant imagine what it would do to a motor, motorheads please reply. I cant find many pics, is there a blackout, why dont we have any bcers here that live there, I know we do, do not be afraid to post!

I have seen very few interviews with affected people, businesses, residents, like in every other catastrophe. What is going on? Dont make me come down there.

I dont care how this will affect the election, I dont care. I know it has been too long to start doing things. It should have never hit the shore with our technology.

I feel Obama is worried more about compensating people, many of whom HE, and HE alone has put out of business. If a school burns down we dont close all the schools!! Same thing! One accident in 60 yrs. We forced them out there, shut them all down they will go and they wont be back. Quit trying to rule, and just plug the damn hole!!

klein

What do you mean ? 9/11 all of your airspace was shut down. They all landed in Canada !
Columbine Highschool incident.
Ever since then, new security in place at every school.

I don't think it's a bad thing to inspect all wells, before another accident happens.
Toyota recalled several million of cars... as a precaution.

You'll be surprised, if a boeing 747 goes down.... for a known defect, they ground them, too !

And , if your personal home is declared unsafe after an earthquake, or during a forest fire, they evaculate you, too.

Besides, who cares ? BP has to pay for the people out of work on those other rigs now.
What if a second rig went up now ? Can the Gulf handle 2 of those spills at once ? And then what would you think ?

If you just totalled your pc or tracter trailer, should UPS let you on the road the nest day ? (hey, only 1 accident in 20 years) !
I can go on and on.... many examples where production came to a halt.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
CNBC Analyst Says Obama is “Once Again Creating His Own Sense of Legal System”

The analyst pointed out that “once again,” President Obama has “created his own sense of legal system. He fired the CEO of General Motors. He circumvented the rights of bondholders in the GM situation, and now he’s confiscated $20 Billion from a private company to set up “a financial and legal framework that already exists. It’s not his job to create laws, it’s his job to enforce laws.”
The analyst is absolutely right. Obama has armtwisted BP into placing $20 Billion that will now be controlled by and doled out by the Government. This will undoubtedly be used to make the people of the Gulf Coast feel beholden to who? Barack Obama. And that’s the point. Those who have truly suffered loss as a result of the Spill should absolutely be able to ask for compensation from BP. But they should be paid by BP – not Obama’s Government. They should also be able to sue BP using the already established U.S. Court System, and that should not be circumvented by some arbitrary process created by the Obama Administration.
the analyst reminded everyone, “There’s a thing called “due process” my friends.” Someone needs to remind Obama of that. But it’s clear he see himself as standing above the law.