Obamacare

vantexan

He's upset because he has no idea what the grownups are talking about.
I just figured out how to get out of dealing with winter, will be comfortable doing it, and be able to help my stepdaughter go to college. Bigger fish to fry than what some of you so called grownups are up to. All on $22k a year. Bummer.

Oldfart

I just figured out how to get out of dealing with winter, will be comfortable doing it, and be able to help my stepdaughter go to college. Bigger fish to fry than what some of you so called grownups are up to. All on $22k a year. Bummer.
I would be ashamed if I worked all my life and all I have to show for it is $22k a year in retirement. You should have planned ahead and made the necessary sacrifices when you were working so you could retire with a comfortable nest egg. Bummer

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be ashamed if I worked all my life and all I have to show for it is $22k a year in retirement. You should have planned ahead and made the necessary sacrifices when you were working so you could retire with a comfortable nest egg. Bummer

Life tends to get in the way.

Unforeseen medical issues tend to disrupt the best laid plans.

That being said, barring the above, I do agree that working all of your life and having only $22K/year to show for it would be pathetic at best.

vantexan

Never got the pay you got in spite of working a lot of overtime. That's the reality, dealing with it the best I can.

vantexan

Life tends to get in the way.

Unforeseen medical issues tend to disrupt the best laid plans.

That being said, barring the above, I do agree that working all of your life and having only $22K/year to show for it would be pathetic at best.
The majority of Americans have only Social Security to live on in retirement. Glad to have what I have, otherwise would still be working with my body breaking down.

vantexan

If the majority of Americans chose to jump off a bridge would you follow them?
I worked towards getting a larger pension with FedEx. Not my fault that they terminated the plan, held raises down, and the economy turned to crap. But I have a pension that allows me to travel, can improve our situation, and I'll have a decent inheritance from my father. And as I have lived a pretty minimal lifestyle I don't need much to be happy. All I want to do is get my stepdaughter through school, get our house paid off, and see some of the world. If I'm supposed to be sad because I don't have what you have you're going to be disappointed.

bacha29

The majority of Americans have only Social Security to live on in retirement. Glad to have what I have, otherwise would still be working with my body breaking down.
Social Security? Given your obsession with the deficit and the continued security and well being of the 1% I trust that you'll do what your strong conservative requires of you and that is NOT to accept Social Security and Medicare benefits . That's right, you DO NOT have to accept those benefits.

vantexan

Social Security? Given your obsession with the deficit and the continued security and well being of the 1% I trust that you'll do what your strong conservative requires of you and that is NOT to accept Social Security and Medicare benefits . That's right, you DO NOT have to accept those benefits.
Yeah, it's the law of the land, we contribute into it all of our working lives, but only liberals should benefit from it. And Social Security doesn't contribute to the deficit.

floridays

I worked towards getting a larger pension with FedEx. Not my fault that they terminated the plan, held raises down, and the economy turned to crap. But I have a pension that allows me to travel, can improve our situation, and I'll have a decent inheritance from my father. And as I have lived a pretty minimal lifestyle I don't need much to be happy. All I want to do is get my stepdaughter through school, get our house paid off, and see some of the world. If I'm supposed to be sad because I don't have what you have you're going to be disappointed.
As nasty and undeserving as I am, my Father left me a great inheritance also. You'll do alright Van. You only get best wishes from me. Carry on brother.

floridays

You take great joy in kicking Van in the nuts. If he was the recipient of the same promises made to each of you, you'll never get it never mind.

Oldfart

You take great joy in kicking Van in the nuts. If he was the recipient of the same promises made to each of you, you'll never get it never mind.
He was taken out of the Traditional 8 or 9 years ago. He knew the deal and still never made the sacrifices to plan for the future. No matter how much you make, you have to plan for retirement. If he can live on 22k now and he made 45 or 50k when he was working, why wasn't he able to save and put money into the 401k when he was working. He complains and whines yet 45 or 50k is more than many people make and many of those people are able to save money. It takes discipline and sacrifice to save money and retire comfortably. Or you can do like Tex, bitch and whine and do nothing. That is much easier.

vantexan

He was taken out of the Traditional 8 or 9 years ago. He knew the deal and still never made the sacrifices to plan for the future. No matter how much you make, you have to plan for retirement. If he can live on 22k now and he made 45 or 50k when he was working, why wasn't he able to save and put money into the 401k when he was working. He complains and whines yet 45 or 50k is more than many people make and many of those people are able to save money. It takes discipline and sacrifice to save money and retire comfortably. Or you can do like Tex, bitch and whine and do nothing. That is much easier.
I had maybe 5 years where I made over $40k. In no way did I make enough to set myself up for the rest of my life. If I were going to stay in the States I'd still be working, bad knees and numb feet not withstanding. I'd have to. Your problem is you think a life's worth is judged strictly by the money you have. You're better than me because you have more money. Good luck, you got a decent traditional pension because you got in early enough and got five years on better pay to bump up your average. It wasn't about the amazing sacrifices you made. Employees hired since 2003 don't have the traditional plan, just the portable and the 401k. And they didn't make the money since 2003 to fund that 401k decently and their portable is based on a lot less income than you enjoy. I'd respect the company a whole lot more if they would accelerate 10+ years employees to top pay. Not worth it to me to stay until I'm 64 to be topped out again. I'll get a decent inheritance some day, or I'll die first and it won't matter. And guess what buddy, you'll die too, can't take it with you. Get over your supposed superiority, doesn't matter.

Oldfart

I had maybe 5 years where I made over $40k. In no way did I make enough to set myself up for the rest of my life. If I were going to stay in the States I'd still be working, bad knees and numb feet not withstanding. I'd have to. Your problem is you think a life's worth is judged strictly by the money you have. You're better than me because you have more money. Good luck, you got a decent traditional pension because you got in early enough and got five years on better pay to bump up your average. It wasn't about the amazing sacrifices you made. Employees hired since 2003 don't have the traditional plan, just the portable and the 401k. And they didn't make the money since 2003 to fund that 401k decently and their portable is based on a lot less income than you enjoy. I'd respect the company a whole lot more if they would accelerate 10+ years employees to top pay. Not worth it to me to stay until I'm 64 to be topped out again. I'll get a decent inheritance some day, or I'll die first and it won't matter. And guess what buddy, you'll die too, can't take it with you. Get over your supposed superiority, doesn't matter.
You set yourself up by making sacrifices. You decided not to make those sacrifices. It is easier to bitch and whine and complain 24/7. Plenty of people made less than you and were able to save money. They decided discipline was the way to save for the future, you decided to bitch and whine instead. Bummer

bacha29

Yeah, it's the law of the land, we contribute into it all of our working lives, but only liberals should benefit from it. And Social Security doesn't contribute to the deficit.
Don't give me any more of you lame " I paid into it excuses. If not for the political will of us evil communists pinko liberals there would be no such thing as Social Security for you to pay into in the first place, as well as Medicare when you're old and Medicaid to pay your medical bills when you're too young for Medicare but too broke to pay you're medical bills. Like so many other conservative hypocrites you constantly condemn us for what you believe are domestic policy shortcomings but at the very same time have your hand out for every dime of benefits you can grab.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Don't give me any more of you lame " I paid into it excuses. If not for the political will of us evil communists pinko liberals there would be no such thing as Social Security for you to pay into in the first place, as well as Medicare when you're old and Medicaid to pay your medical bills when you're too young for Medicare but too broke to pay you're medical bills. Like so many other conservative hypocrites you constantly condemn us for what you believe are domestic policy shortcomings but at the very same time have your hand out for every dime of benefits you can grab.
Social Security is not a real retirement plan; it is a Ponzi Scheme. At best it doesn’t even promise to pay a reasonable or even a positive rate of return anymore. But, that is a reason to put the operator of the con game in jail, not stiff the victims of the scheme by reneging on the promise when the perp has more than sufficient funds available to make good on the promise. And it certainly doesn’t justify excusing the Ponzi schemer of the responsibility to make good on the promise because he can’t meet that obligation and still keep up his other profligate spending. If keeping the promise means reducing other spending and selling off or mortgaging all the con artist’s assets, so be it. Promises made, promises kept is the very foundation of Anglo-American common law and political legitimacy.

Food Stamps, The Women, Infants and Children (WIN) program, Medicaid, agricultural subsidies and price supports, most refundable tax credits, federal deposit insurance, all are examples of federal government “handouts;” Social Security is not; it is a government-mandated Ponzi Scheme—a “giveback”—and there is a huge difference. The former invites you to take; the latter demands that you first give and then invites you to take back. It thus carries within it its own “moral justification.” None dare call it welfare. FORBES Magazine.

Last edited: