Obamacare's effect on Teamsters 2013 contract

saintrick

Do you have any evidence to support that ObamaCare is the reason UPS is asking its rank-and-file to pay toward their heath care?

Consider:
- Nationally, on average, health care premiums have soared over the past 30 years; since 2001, they have nearly doubled.
- UPS's work force, both management and hourly, is rapidly aging.
- FedEx Ground, UPS's largest competitor, pays NOTHING toward health care for its workforce. FedEx Ground's volume continues to rapidly grow while UPS's is more-or-less stagnant.
- UPS is a publicly traded company that has to respond to its shareholders.

The reality is that even without ObamaCare, UPS would still be asking us to pay toward health care. Don't like it? Stop voting, for example, for right-wing politicians who rule that FedEx Ground's business practices are legal.

UPS update mentions the Affordable Car Act.

Brostalss92

The Affordable Health Care Act: If you can afford it, you are going to pay for those who can't so they can still get it for free. Thanks a lot Obama.

rudy5150

You have to be in the union to receive benefits.....you have to work so many days first. Im sure UPS would drag their feet as long as they could so it would take awhile before you worked enough days needed to join and get your bennys. Ever heard of being on call?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The Affordable Health Care Act: If you can afford it, you are going to pay for those who can't so they can still get it for free. Thanks a lot Obama.

A lot like the UPS Teamsters taking care of all the non-UPS Teamsters.
It's noble that you take care of your non-UPS Teamster brothers and sisters.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
A. WAITING PERIOD DEFINED
A group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group coverage may not use a waiting
period that exceeds 90 days. A waiting period is the period of time that must pass before
coverage for an employee or dependent who is otherwise eligible to enroll under the terms of the
plan can become effective. For this purpose, being eligible for coverage means having met the
plan’s substantive eligibility conditions (such as being in an eligible job classification or
achieving job-related licensure requirements specified in the plan’s terms).

Short answer is no. PT employees aren't eligible to enroll until the contract requirements are satisfied. Once you're eligible to enroll, UPS can't exceed 90 days in getting you coverage. Currently UPS has a 30 day enrollment based on hours worked for the month, 20 for pt 40 for ft in my area.

saintrick

A. WAITING PERIOD DEFINED
A group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group coverage may not use a waiting
period that exceeds 90 days. A waiting period is the period of time that must pass before
coverage for an employee or dependent who is otherwise eligible to enroll under the terms of the
plan can become effective. For this purpose, being eligible for coverage means having met the
plan’s substantive eligibility conditions (such as being in an eligible job classification or
achieving job-related licensure requirements specified in the plan’s terms).

Short answer is no. PT employees aren't eligible to enroll until the contract requirements are satisfied. Once you're eligible to enroll, UPS can't exceed 90 days in getting you coverage. Currently UPS has a 30 day enrollment based on hours worked for the month, 20 for pt 40 for ft in my area.

How do you interpret the next line?

Consistent with PHS Act section 2708, eligibility conditions that are based solely on the lapse of a time period are permissible for no more than 90 days.

Does "eligibility conditions" apply to the 12/18?

sortaisle

Example 4. (i) Facts. Employee D begins working 25 hours per week for Employer Z on
January 3 and is considered a part-time employee for purposes of Z’s group health plans. Z
sponsors a group health plan that provides coverage to part-time employees after they have
completed a cumulative 1,200 hours of service. D satisfies the plan’s cumulative hours of
service condition on December 15.
(ii) Conclusion. In this Example 4, the cumulative hours of service condition with respect
to part-time employees is not considered to be designed to avoid compliance with the 90-day
waiting period limitation. Accordingly, coverage for D under the plan must begin no later than
the 91st day after D works 1,200 hours. (If the plan’s cumulative hours of service requirement
were more than 1,200 hours, the Departments would consider the requirement to be designed to
avoid compliance with the 90-day waiting period limitation.)

sortaisle

I think this answers the question you have pretty well. UPS has defined the wait period as 12/18. They have 90 days after that is fulfilled to provide coverage.

saintrick

I think this answers the question you have pretty well. UPS has defined the wait period as 12/18. They have 90 days after that is fulfilled to provide coverage.

Thanks for the input. Cumulative hours are allowed for eligibility but a lapse of time is not.

Think I found what I was looking for.

From the DOL site.

Example 5. (i) Facts. A group health plan provides that
employees are eligible for coverage after one year of service.
(ii) Conclusion. In this Example 5, the plan's eligibility
condition is based solely on the lapse of time and, therefore, is
impermissible under paragraph (c)(2) of this section because it
exceeds 90 days.

If this applies to part timers at ups the 12/18 is out.