Off The Street

J

Jelly Donuts

Hello All -

I am relocating to Indianapolis from SW Florida after spending the past several years in law enforcement. I have posted here in the past and got some very good information and need further advice.

What is the best route to get hired in off the street? I have a completed resume and have submitted it online but that has gotten me nowhere. Do each of the hubs have an HR office that looks at applications to fill openings? Where can I personally drop off a resume?

I noticed three UPS locations in Indy - does each one hire independently of one another? I have heard that the "wait time" at other branches are sometimes smaller and was hoping to get on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know a lot about UPS and certainly feel I would be an asset if only I could get my foot in the door.

Bryan

opie

The best route would probably be a temporary/seasonal driver. Since peak season is over, they may not be looking for off the street hires. Each HUB hires independently, and each has their own HR office. I guess you can try and contact the hubs in your area by phone, and ask. Good luck.

Try reading your previous threads/posts for more information. Good luck.

UPSmeoff

your overqualified.
At my center it seems that you have to prove you dont know jack to be hired as a part timer.
The states job services is where these chuckleheads come from. If you are hired, be prepared to spend some time holding a part time position.
I dont know anything about Indiana.......wait.....i wasnt much help was i?

Okay, so here is the deal. I live in Florida and don't have the availability to personally drop off a resume or to visit one of the three Indianapolis hubs. I was hoping to fax a resume to HR in each of the hubs instead of relying on someone to look at the one I submittied on the UPS website.

My problem - finding a phone number to each hub. I don't believe these numbers are available to the general public which leaves me speaking to people who really have don't seem to have a clue, or could care less.

Can anyone provide me with a phone number for HR - even better, the HR phone numbers for any of the Indy hubs?

Why does this company make it so difficult for someone to apply?

Any help is appreciated.

Bryan

A

Anonymous Coward

according to upsjobs.com West 81st street in Indianapolis is accepting applications for a part time handler. Good luck. Despite all the complaints on this board, a UPS job is highly coveted because of the pay and benefits. I think you could expect to wait 3-6 years for a full time position based on wait I've read here. If you can move a little south, Louisville is always hiring!

air_upser

according to upsjobs.com West 81st street in Indianapolis is accepting applications for a part time handler. Good luck. Despite all the complaints on this board, a UPS job is highly coveted because of the pay and benefits. I think you could expect to wait 3-6 years for a full time position based on what I've read here. If you can move a little south, Louisville is always hiring!

UPSmeoff

I have posted here in the past and got some very good information and need further advice.
I think there is still good advice out there.
Just have to weed out the people who dont care.

I care...

i reely do.

DS

Fenderbender
Maybe you can combine your old law enforcement job with driving a package car.You get the route in the worst part of town but you get to bring your gun.Hell if some delivery guy showed up at my door with a shoulder strap with a glock,I`d drop everything and sign for it .Seriously though,the best advice we can give you is to go to the biggest UPS facility nearest to where you live and put in an application in person.They seem to like that.Accept a part time job if thats all that`s available,and work your ass off and prove you can handle all the crap that I promise,you will have to take ,and hopefully,they will see you are a prime candidate for the new faster paced production oriented system being initiated as we speak.If you have a bad back or knees,forget ups and apply at fedex.If you dont mind getting home at 9PM every night get in and apply.Good Luck.

A

Anonymous Coward

When you mention part-time, do you mean part-time driving? Or are you referring to sorting packages in the hub?

Not that I am above sorting, it is just that I am 35, married, father of two and can not financially work for $8.50 an hour.

Is the part-time stuff flexible to accomidate another job? UPS does not deliver on weekends, correct?

Thanks for the help.

When you say part-time do you mean part-time driving? Do they hire part-time drivers? What is the likelihood of landing a feeder position without prior driving experience - one of the Indy hubs is looking for "seasonal tractor trailer drivers". Any insight and additional information would be appreciated.

Is UPS flexible with part-time positions to accomidate another full time job?

Whatever it takes to get my foot in the door...

browniehound

My advice would be to start out on the preload working until 8 am and then go to another full time job. Then when a full-time job opens up at ups and you have the seniority you can jump at the opportunity...

R

ROCKETMAN

WHAT pd did you leave can i fill out an app our contract is they will hire one off the street but inside stuidvisor has first dibbs. good luck in your quest of a warm peacefull life of being a package driver our center is looking for a new security guard.