off today for voting

upsman68

I went to vote this morning. My start time is 8:50. I got to the polls around 7:15. The machines were down and a long line. I called work and told them I would be 2 hours late. My supervisor gave me a hard time and ask me why I did not early vote He called me about 10 min later and said I was not there by 9:00 my route would be covered The line started to move and I said O could make it by 9:15. He said that was too late I lost a days pay because I was voting. Oh well at least it is nice out today

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah glad I got up and went this morning. I won't get off until 2 hours after polls close. Why didn't you vote early? Lol what a joke god forbid they understand and plan. Honestly I think full routes should of been in today and on Halloween just like they should be on Christmas Eve but no they cut like always so they can try and add another zero to that profit line.

1080Driver

I never miss working an election day, us in 804 get paid 8 hours for the holiday, double time for the first 8 hours, then time and a half for OT; so basically triple time for the first 8, then regular OT

Johney

I never miss working an election day, us in 804 get paid 8 hours for the holiday, double time for the first 8 hours, then time and a half for OT; so basically triple time for the first 8, then regular OT
What holiday is it? Surely not today. If so we need your local negotiating our next contract.

rod

Retired 22 years
I got paid to vote today also. I went to vote and the town hall had a leaky pipe so I spent an hour fixing it. Well actually it was 40 minutes but anything over a half hour is rounded off to the next half hour so I get paid for an hour. Kind of like the way UPS operates---oh wait ---no it isn't.

ikoi62

local 177 used to get election day pay 8 hours for the day and double time for hours worked. a few years back they changed it to a option day you can take it anytime of the year and get triple time for the day.

I went to vote this morning. My start time is 8:50. I got to the polls around 7:15. The machines were down and a long line. I called work and told them I would be 2 hours late. My supervisor gave me a hard time and ask me why I did not early vote He called me about 10 min later and said I was not there by 9:00 my route would be covered The line started to move and I said O could make it by 9:15. He said that was too late I lost a days pay because I was voting. Oh well at least it is nice out today
I voted three weeks ago absentee ballot and I made 400bucks today. To each their own

I got paid to vote today also. I went to vote and the town hall had a leaky pipe so I spent an hour fixing it. Well actually it was 40 minutes but anything over a half hour is rounded off to the next half hour so I get paid for an hour. Kind of like the way UPS operates---oh wait ---no it isn't.
So you got paid to lay some pipe. You are the man.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I drove by the polling station on the way to work this am and the line was forever long. I went to work, off the clock at 6:05pm, stopped at Target for kitty litter and at the polls about 7pm.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And, you find this stupid???

Yes, I do. The polls generally stay open long enough to allow people to vote either before or after work. The OP did try to vote early but through no fault of his own was delayed and had a decision to make. I would have chosen to go to work and voted either during the day (the polling station is on my route) or voted when I got off work. My center manager would have been pissed had I called him to tell him that I was going to be late because I had to vote.

County employees here get the day off. I think this is totally unnecessary.

When I was military the civilians were given up to 4 hours of paid time to vote.

H

htown0721

Yes, I do. The polls generally stay open long enough to allow people to vote either before or after work. The OP did try to vote early but through no fault of his own was delayed and had a decision to make. I would have chosen to go to work and voted either during the day (the polling station is on my route) or voted when I got off work. My center manager would have been pissed had I called him to tell him that I was going to be late because I had to vote.

County employees here get the day off. I think this is totally unnecessary.

When I was military the civilians were given up to 4 hours of paid time to vote.

The employee put his country first and work second, what is wrong with that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Polling places have extended hours so you can do both. I would have assessed the situation, gone to work and voted that night. I most certainly would not have taken a "dead day" just to vote.

H

htown0721

You are probably right, but it can't be changed now so no point in arguing over it