Oil reaching the Gulf Coast

wkmac

Hey Klein,

Wanna tell us about the ex Spirit of Columbus and what happened to it after being renamed Petrobras 36 and anchored off the Brazilian coast?

But rest easy Klein as Deepwater Horizon was designed by Read and Bates (now Transocean) and built by Hyundai Heavy Industries but look out if I find a Canadian connection!
:happy-very:

klein

Für Meno :)
Wondering if Sarah Palins best speech headline remains : " Drill Baby Drill " ??????

wkmac, as much as I would like to look into it. I have a few things to do today, like grocery shopping, then picking the right lottery numbers, taking a nice bath, and so on.
Besides, my laptop is on it';s last legs...... Can't even watch youtube now, or surf much. It overhaeats and shuts down.

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is her best....

"I am pro-life and I believe that marriage should only be between and man and a woman.

SARAH PALIN, "Issues" Nov 7, 2006

Lue C Fur

Evil member
wkmac, as much as I would like to look into it. I have a few things to do today, like grocery shopping, then picking the right lottery numbers, taking a nice bath, and so on.
Besides, my laptop is on it';s last legs...... Can't even watch youtube now, or surf much. It overhaeats and shuts down.

Oh no!!! Your laptop might take a dump...that would be aweful if you could not post your America bashing garbage on BC. Be careful you dont take a bath with your laptop...:scared:

P

pickup

Typical Klein...you dance around the question and cant back up your BS...your pathetic.

Typical, indeed. You will have better luck catching a moon beam in your hand before you can get him to answer a question when the answer doesn't line up with his delusional sense of well being.

P

pickup

Wondering if Sarah Palins best speech headline remains : " Drill Baby Drill " ??????

Group prayer tonight at 10:00. Let us put us pool our collective psychic forces at 10:00 tonight with the goal being the effective destruction of klein's computer. Let's push it over the edge.

P

pickup

"catching a moon beam in your hand "

How do you solve a problem like Maria.......?

Yup! I once devoted that song to tieguy in jest quite a while back. But now I can't help but substitute the name of "Klein" in place of where "Maria" appears in the song.

klein

maybe now, that they actually think it's 100.000 barrels a day pouring into the ocean, might grab your attention a little more ?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
maybe now, that they actually think it's 100.000 barrels a day pouring into the ocean, might grab your attention a little more ?
Actually, one barrel a day grabs my attention, but I'm not about to start running up and down the street waving my arms above my head shouting that there's a catastophic situation. Being the GREEN guy you are, Mr. Nature, why don't you head to the Gulf Coast and volunteer your services?

P

pickup

Actually, one barrel a day grabs my attention, but I'm not about to start running up and down the street waving my arms above my head shouting that there's a catastophic situation. Being the GREEN guy you are, Mr. Nature, why don't you head to the Gulf Coast and volunteer your services?

Bingo!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sure, buy my airfare, accomadation and meals and I'll go.
Better yet, you can make a deal with Princess/Carnival and your buddies there may take care of all of the arrangements for you. Wait a sec, how about foregoing your next vacation and using that money to get out to the Gulf Coast? Maybe you could also arrange to stay at one of your many Brown Cafe friends houses. PassYouBy lives out that way and I'm sure he'd love to have you as his guest.

P

pickup

Klein - But, but , but....... that would mean I would actually have to .. gasp... .worr, worrrrrr, work!

wkmac

NOAA in a statement released May 1, 2010 reporting an estimated 5000 barrels per day being released.

Not that the gov't can't lie but can you provide a linked source for the 100k bpd assertion? Much to many folks displeasure of many of my posts, I try best I can to embed links as to the source to an assertion. They can at least then make their own determination as to it's validity or make note as more information later comes forth to prove or disprove.

The Tiber Oilfield of which Deepwater Horizon operates is a field in which BP, Petrobras and ConocoPhilips all operate. The field was announced on Sept. 3, 2009' (tommorw it will be 8 months ago) and the subheadline states the following,

Extreme Conditions Mean It Will Be Years Until Production

The ThunderHorse field is the biggest BP field in the Gulf and it took nearly 10 years to reach those levels and now in 8 months you'll contend Deepwater Horizon is already half of that? In a few years yes but 8 months? As I said, link please!

klein

My source right now is CNN on TV. Nobody really knows how big the leak is. Satellite pics estimate it at 25000 barrles per day.
Some experts think with a full blown drill head (which it is), the leak could actually be 100.000 barrels per day.

Oh, and CBC is reporting much of the same.

wkmac

My source right now is CNN on TV. Nobody really knows how big the leak is. Satellite pics estimate it at 25000 barrles per day.
Some experts think with a full blown drill head (which it is), the leak could actually be 100.000 barrels per day.

Oh, and CBC is reporting much of the same.

CNN May 2, 2010 10:35 a.m. EDT

The rig sank April 22 about 50 miles off the southeast coast of Louisiana, and the untapped wellhead is gushing about 5,000 barrels of oil a day into the Gulf of Mexico, according to BP and government estimates. Some environmentalists say the amount could be much larger.

CBS News

A mile underwater, a leaking well bleeds an estimated 200,000 of oil every day into the Gulf of Mexico

Opps! 200,000? 200,000 what? Could that be gallons? Multiply 5000 barrels x 55 gallons and see what figure you come close too! 24 hours earlier CBS News reported the 5000 barrel number with the following statement:

Oil is being spilled at a rate up to 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) a day, or 1.6 million since the explosion occurred last week.

Now where it does get interesting is the Friday Wall Street Journal who reported the following:

WASHINGTON—The Gulf of Mexico oil spill could be leaking at a rate of 25,000 barrels a day, five times the government's current estimate, industry experts say.

is it possible more than 5000 barrels a day is getting out? Sure. First reports were 1k barrels per day and that was advised upwards 5 fold. If Deepwater Horizon were several years down the road I'd feel certain the numbers would be vastly higher but from the reading I've done, any well only 8 months old is never anywhere near full production output. ThunderHorse has been in place since 1999' and has only recently topping out it's production at over 300k barrels a day and ThunderHorse is the big boy and no one expects the Tibor Field much less Deepwater Horizon to come anywhere close to that amount anytime soon.

Total BP Gulf production stands right 400k bpd at present and a 9/9/09 article points out that upping that 400k to just 600k total BP capacity from Tibor will take a decade or more.

Typically, a producer won’t recover anything close to 50 percent of the OOIP even after many decades of production. In the case of Tiber, it’s likely that even if OOIP is more than 3 billion barrels producers will only extract 500 million to 1 billion barrels of oil, a recovery rate of as high as a third.
And this production will come over decades. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that 500 million barrels of recoverable oil means producers can extract 1.35 million barrels a day over a one-year period.
The reality is that the Tiber field won’t go into commercial production until the latter part of the coming decade. And current estimates are that BP’s new deepwater discoveries will allow the firm to boost output from the current 400,000 barrels a day to more than 600,000 by 2020.

Nearly 2 mil. gallons to date leaked out is no small sum and in itself a major concern but larger amounts especially vastly larger amounts just defies normal reality for such a young well as Deepwater Horizon.

klein

The weatherman also said, by Tuesday the winds will change. It will be a relief.

I got a kick out of that one.... where will the spill be heading then ? Mexico or Florida Keys ?

I would assume the satellite estimates are the best figures to trust @ 25.000 barrels per day.

brownrod

Klein, how is the oil going to reach the east coast of Florida when the Gulf of Mexico is on the west coast? It would have to go down around the southern tip of Florida and then be blown back on to the coast in order for that to happen.

Gulf of mexico is not near the west coast. Look at a map. In order for oil to reach the west coast it would have to go down around the southern tip of south america.