Oil reaching the Gulf Coast

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
HEY ABBOTT!!!!!

Peter Sellers's Screen Name is..........STUG!!!!

fxdwg = FIXED WIG
2125010819_0b8e675d99.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Elastec/American Marine shows an oil burn being conducted in one of its patented Hydro-Fire Boom systems. The inflatable, fire-resistant, water-cooled boom was developed to contain surface oil and burn it offshore, helping prevent destruction of critical environmentally sensitive shoreline habitats, company officials said.
If U.S. officials had followed up on a 1994 response plan for a major Gulf oil spill, it is possible that the spill could have been kept under control and far from land.
The "In-Situ Burn" plan produced by federal agencies in 1994 calls for responding to a major oil spill in the Gulf with the immediate use of fire booms.

But in order to conduct a successful test burn eight days after the Deepwater Horizon well began releasing massive amounts of oil into the Gulf, officials had to purchase one from a company in Illinois.

When federal officials called, Elastec/American Marine, shipped the only boom it had in stock, Jeff Bohleber, chief financial officer for Elastec, said today.

At federal officials' behest, the company began calling customers in other countries and asking if the U.S. government could borrow their fire booms for a few days, he said.

A single fire boom being towed by two boats can burn up to 1,800 barrels of oil an hour, Bohleber said. That translates to 75,000 gallons an hour, raising the possibility that the spill could have been contained at the accident scene 100 miles from shore.

"They said this was the tool of last resort. No, this is absolutely the asset of first use. Get in there and start burning oil before the spill gets out of hand," Bohleber said. "If they had six or seven of these systems in place when this happened and got out there and started burning, it would have significantly lessened the amount of oil that got loose."

In the days after the rig sank, U.S Coast Guard Rear Admiral Mary Landry said the government had all the assets it needed. She did not discuss why officials waited more than a week to conduct a test burn.

klein

Für Meno :)
I still wonder why it took 3 days to admit there was an actual oil leak. On day 2, that was still denied.
Did BP want to cover it up, and fix it, before anyone would notice ?
Or was it BP and Government trying to hide it ? - until they realized it was too huge and unstopable.

diesel96

I think all the A-holes chanting "drill-baby-drill" during the 2008 Presidential Campaign should dorn their Haz mat suits and report to the Gulf Coast ASAP....And to all those who know nothing about the Gulf loop currents and the Atlantic gulf stream should study it before commenting....

The Gulf Loop Current acts like jet of warm water that squirts in from the Caribbean basin and sloshes around the Gulf of Mexico before being squeezed out the Florida Strait, where it joins the larger and more powerful Gulf Stream current. So yeah, before you guys bash klein, keep in mind he's dead on, this oil slick can potentially effect Florida's East Coast....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36917022/ns/technology_and_science-science/

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-03/news/fl-loop-current-20100503_1_beaches-slick-oil

av8torntn

I think all the A-holes chanting "drill-baby-drill" during the 2008 Presidential Campaign should dorn their Haz mat suits and report to the Gulf Coast ASAP....

If we were drilling for oil in Alaska what does that have to do with an oil spill in the gulf? There is just a tad bit of distance between the two. I was thinking all those envioro wackos would be all for drilling in Alaska now.

diesel96

If we were drilling for oil in Alaska what does that have to do with an oil spill in the gulf? There is just a tad bit of distance between the two. I was thinking all those envioro wackos would be all for drilling in Alaska now.

What makes you think the chant "drill baby drill" was solely for Alaska ?

The video clip here clearly shows Palin in Clearwater, Florida, cheerleading for offshore drilling. I wonder how that crowd feels now when this slick reaches their beaches.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/29/drill-baby-drill-champion_n_558014.html

Please, don't let the background scene distract you....

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing wrong with drilling for oil-----------------------if you install a shut off valve. Somewhere along the line they decided not to spend the extra money for one----probably at the shareholders meeting.

av8torntn

What makes you think the chant "drill baby drill" was solely for Alaska ?

Who cares? If the dimocratic party were not the party of drama queens and yes men this would be the perfect area to compromise. Those morons could say well we need efficient energy so let's drill more on land so if we get a situation where we have an uncapped well we will not have to somehow go 5,000 feet underwater to cap it. Oh nooooooo the party of drama queens just wants to block any progress towards energy independence and falsely claim this is the worst environmental disaster ever.
Heck since we are losing all this oil off the global markets even the most idiotic dimocrat should be chanting to drill for more oil. I don't know about you buy my livelihood depends on the efficient consumption of energy. People must be able to produce goods for purchase so I can transport those same goods. Energy is consumed at all levels of the market. The dimocrats just chant tax baby tax. For the life of me I cannot figure out why those in the leadership positions of the dimocratic party hate the middle class so much, but I guess that is a topic for another thread.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The real answer is to make a serious goal of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, the sooner the better.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think all the A-holes chanting "drill-baby-drill" during the 2008 Presidential Campaign should dorn their Haz mat suits and report to the Gulf Coast ASAP....And to all those who know nothing about the Gulf loop currents and the Atlantic gulf stream should study it before commenting....

The Gulf Loop Current acts like jet of warm water that squirts in from the Caribbean basin and sloshes around the Gulf of Mexico before being squeezed out the Florida Strait, where it joins the larger and more powerful Gulf Stream current. So yeah, before you guys bash klein, keep in mind he's dead on, this oil slick can potentially effect Florida's East Coast....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36917022/ns/technology_and_science-science/

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-03/news/fl-loop-current-20100503_1_beaches-slick-oil
He also made a good recommendation about Miller's Ale House, maybe we can all try to help him get his job back.:wink2:

Nothing wrong with drilling for oil-----------------------if you install a shut off valve. Somewhere along the line they decided not to spend the extra money for one----probably at the shareholders meeting.
+1

The real answer is to make a serious goal of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, the sooner the better.
There's a real answer for everything, but who's gonna take us down that road? reduce fuel dependence and we stop being hostage to fuel producing countries and see a big reduction in these type of disasters. Reduce the consumption of processed food rich in chemicals and certain cancer's and diseases decline. These are all probably true, but who's going to start the march in that direction?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
There's a real answer for everything, but who's gonna take us down that road? reduce fuel dependence and we stop being hostage to fuel producing countries and see a big reduction in these type of disasters. Reduce the consumption of processed food rich in chemicals and certain cancer's and diseases decline. These are all probably true, but who's going to start the march in that direction?

The Messiah!!!!!LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
As long as we keep electing the status quo, no one will.

rod

Retired 22 years

Well I just found out I could be wrong about a shut off valve. The BBC NEWS says there is a shut off valve but they haven't been able to figure out how to get the under sea robot to shut it off. I normally trust BBC NEWS ahead of anything in the US for accuracy but I can't see how the US NEWS (at least the reports I have heard) would say there there is no valve and BBC would say there is. :sad-little: Someone is making up stories. I would think if there was one it would be set up to shut off automatically if there was a malfuntion- especially being a mile deep.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well I just found out I could be wrong about a shut off valve. The BBC NEWS says there is a shut off valve but they haven't been able to figure out how to get the under sea robot to shut it off. I normally trust BBC NEWS ahead of anything in the US for accuracy but I can't see how the US NEWS (at least the reports I have heard) would say there there is no valve and BBC would say there is. :sad-little: Someone is making up stories. I would think if there was one it would be set up to shut off automatically if there was a malfuntion- especially being a mile deep.

They do have a shut-off valve. But, not remote controlled, like in other countries.
So, they must use a robot to do it.
But, for some reason, the shut-off valve doesn't want to close.
Besides, I heard the whole pipe actually has 3 leaks, not just 1.

Thats the story I hear in Canada, anyways.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
They do have a shut-off valve. But, not remote controlled, like in other countries.
So, they must use a robot to do it.
But, for some reason, the shut-off valve doesn't want to close.
Besides, I heard the whole pipe actually has 3 leaks, not just 1.

Thats the story I hear in Canada, anyways.

Did you ever think that with all the missinformation out there that no one has all the facts yet and is just making assumptions or expressing opinions? What is left of the rig is one mile below the surface and it will be a very long time before anyone knows what exactly happened. But its good for liberal media to further the enviromentalist agenda.