Old cars rotting away on your route?

rod

Retired 22 years
There is a guy about 2 miles from me that has probably 200 old cars rusting away in his woods. Everything from Model A's to to 70's cars and trucks. Being the idiot he is he won't sell anything. All he would have to do is put an add in a car magazine and he could make a nice bundle. There does come a certain time though that the "rusted treasures" aren't worth fixing. I watched a car show on tv the other day where these guys bought a 56 Chevy they were going to fix up. They ended up buying a whole new body and using very few of the origional parts on their "treasure".

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
PS, did you guys know that in Australia the have an ElCamino of sorts based on the Pontiac GTO, which is a Holden Commodore there?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Texan, you should have seen the basket cases my father has brought back to glory. He is into 1920's stuff and you can't just buy your way out of those projects. He is a machinist and a perfectionist by nature.

Lol think the big thing is I'm like most and think later model el camino when I think el camino.

Thats a 60 El Camino. You can tell by the smaller tail fins and round taillights. Chevy came out with the Elky in 59 until 60. It was discontinued until 64 when it came out on the smaller Malibu chassis until it was discontinued in the late 80s. My dad and I restored a 71 SS396 Elky.

Ford came out with the Ranchero in 60? based on the Falcon. They went the opposite of Chevy and switched to a larger chassis based on the Fairlane for its later versions.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Thats a 60 El Camino. You can tell by the smaller tail fins and round taillights. Chevy came out with the Elky in 59 until 60. It was discontinued until 64 when it came out on the smaller Malibu chassis until it was discontinued in the late 80s. My dad and I restored a 71 SS396 Elky.

Ford came out with the Ranchero in 60? based on the Falcon. They went the opposite of Chevy and switched to a larger chassis based on the Fairlane for its later versions.

I often fantasize about building up a Falcon Rachero from the early 60s with a stout 5.0 and other Mustang driveline. They are so old and rotten now( at least around here anyways). Later years don't appeal to me because they blimped out so bad. Falcons were so light. Too bad the stock frontends sucked. Too flimsy( yes, I know there is a cure for that).
Back in 74 my father converted a 61 2door wagon(very rare) to diesel using a Ford industrial 4 cylinder and a Rambler OD transmission using a custom made (by himself!) bellhousing. Made mid 40's on the highway. He put in a 20 gallon tank from a Comet wagon, so road trips were agony at times. Eventually the fun ended when the crank broke.

I'm kind of past the how fast will it go phase. Now I'd rather have a nice cruiser that did a reasonable job of cutting the curves.

Plus I LOVE wagons. I'm due for a new car but I think I'll buy something old.

packageguy

71 Vega...... fine car...
Here is a modified one:
HRS-71Vega_zps72c7b333.jpg

a friend of mine in high school at the same car but not souped-up as much..

jason67rs

I'm kind of past the how fast will it go phase. Now I'd rather have a nice cruiser that did a reasonable job of cutting the curves.

Plus I LOVE wagons. I'm due for a new car but I think I'll buy something old.[/QUOTE

Working on a '64 Buick Sportwagon hopefully ready in the fall

65Goat

This one looks like a late 60's or early 70's Cougar. I always liked the way the rear turn signals lights flashed on the old Cougars. Looks like this one's haven't worked in a long time.
DSCN2998.jpg

This one looks like a late 60's or early 70's Cougar. I always liked the way the rear turn signals lights flashed on the old Cougars. Looks like this one's haven't worked in a long time.

From what I can make out in the pic I would say that is a 67. I'm looking at the rear quarter panels and there's no side marker lights that I can see which became mandatory on all 68 cars.

P.s I take that statement back. That's a 68. I was able to zoom on the pic with my iPad and there are patch panels over the side marker light openings.

Car trivia: what one thing did the 67 Camaro have that no other Camaro has had since?

texan

From what I can make out in the pic I would say that is a 67. I'm looking at the rear quarter panels and there's no side marker lights that I can see which became mandatory on all 68 cars.

P.s I take that statement back. That's a 68. I was able to zoom on the pic with my iPad and there are patch panels over the side marker light openings.

Car trivia: what one thing did the 67 Camaro have that no other Camaro has had since?
Side vent windows?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

Think I saw a current car that had sequential turn signals. Can't recall what it was. The old Cougs had a rotating set of contacts for that effect. They eventually failed and became the conventional type after.

jason67rs

Yep side window vents. 68 is identical except for window vents and marker lights plus 68 hideaway headlights went vacuum 67s are electric with all kind of relays.

65Goat

Went to a big car show in Tulsa last weekend, they had a 69 Yenko that Leake is auctioning this coming weekend somewhere in Tulsa.
DSCN2989.jpg