Old cars rotting away on your route?

A guy on my route had one almost identical, it had a 396 with cowl induction hood and he added a Tremac 6 speed. Love the big block El Caminos! Is that Cortez silver on the paint?

That car was originally Mulsanne Blue but my dad hated that every show we went to all the chevelles/elkys were blue so when we restored the car we picked out silver. That color is actually a late 90s Subaru silver. It had lots of silver pearl in it and it would explode in the sun.

raceanoncr

Plus I LOVE wagons. I'm due for a new car but I think I'll buy something old.

You want wagon? Wished I'd known. Had this '57. Course it's a 2-dr and NOT Nomad. 210. Yes, it's got Bel Air side trim. Had 502, so it would haul kids, swiftly. Another one of my mistakes...selling, that is.

57.jpg
57.jpg

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I have ran rural routes for years and asked about many cars sitting out melting into the earth. Never had much luck at getting anyone to sell. I did have a few nice cars that I wish I still owned but have a few more that I'm glad to have now. Pics of my 57 Chevy 2 dr hardtop and my 69 GTO 400 4 speed. We customized the 57 shaved the door handles and the bullets on the the hood. Had custom interior and corvette 327. Never used it and it was expensive to buy parts for. Loved the GTO and have had several since, but it was scary fast. Old Pics 015.jpgOld Pics 020.jpg
Old Pics 015.jpg
Old Pics 020.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not too many cars but more than enough rotted farm implements. Some of these people could live for a year on scrap metal.

You should see all the stuff shoved of into the rocky areas in the Palouse( Eastern Washington) Nothing gets hauled to a scrap yard. Cars from the 20's to 50's, farm equipment , miles of old barbed wire...saw lots out hunting for ringnecks.

65Goat

Found this one today, has a 318 in it, I was hoping for a Hemi when I walked up. I can't believe someone hasn't turned it into a tribute of some sort. 5 years ago people were scooping up the clones and paying authentic prices for them.
DSCN3001.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Found this one today, has a 318 in it, I was hoping for a Hemi when I walked up. I can't believe someone hasn't turned it into a tribute of some sort. 5 years ago people were scooping up the clones and paying authentic prices for them.

My Dad and I fixed on up like this about 20 years ago. It was a Hemi Orange 72'Cuda with a 318 and a 904. All show, no go. Was badly damaged on the left quarter panel along with all the usual trunk rust. We made all the good upgrades to it. Swapped 2.76s for 3.23 Suregrip, lower 1st gear set from an A999, exhaust tips and lower valence, power disc front brakes and most importantly, a mild 340 with Holley Projection and a 71 reproduction exhaust , DC cam, and tuned 71 manifolds. Miss that car. That one is a plain Barracuda. Make an offer on it, dude. It's all there. Get yer own Hemi and enjoy!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
One of our driver's son is studying auto restoration. He just found a 1970 Charger, 318, 2bbl. All original car from the original owner. Kinda hope he keeps it that way.

texan

When I was stationed in Germany in the 80s, a lot of Army GI's would bring over autos, and not bring them back,
but would sell them rather cheap.

I bought a 1971 Plymouth Satellite with a 318 for 200.00

It would do 0-60 in 7 seconds stock. It would do 110 all day on the Autobahn.

I could get it to 125, but it would slowly overheat.

The US Army bought Dodge Trucks in the mid 80s that had 318s.

Just before I left Germany, I took the heads and intake manifold off the Satellite and
put them on our motor pool truck.

The intake ports of the mid 80s 318 US Army engines were rather small, you could barely fit
2 fingers in them. The 1971 318 intake ports on the heads from the Satellite were much larger, and with
the matching 1971 intake manifold, that Army truck woke up and would really go.

The early 318s were a great engine, not many people realize this.

A pic of the type of M887 maint truck that had the "modified" engine.
This not that truck, but a like picture.
TRUCKid_m887_cucv_02_500_zps44bba264.jpg

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
When I was stationed in Germany in the 80s, a lot of Army GI's would bring over autos, and not bring them back,
but would sell them rather cheap.

I bought a 1971 Plymouth Satellite with a 318 for 200.00

It would do 0-60 in 7 seconds stock. It would do 110 all day on the Autobahn.

I could get it to 125, but it would slowly overheat.

The US Army bought Dodge Trucks in the mid 80s that had 318s.

Just before I left Germany, I took the heads and intake manifold off the Satellite and
put them on our motor pool truck.

The intake ports of the mid 80s 318 US Army engines were rather small, you could barely fit
2 fingers in them. The 1971 318 intake ports on the heads from the Satellite were much larger, and with
the matching 1971 intake manifold, that Army truck woke up and would really go.

The early 318s were a great engine, not many people realize this.

A pic of the type of M887 maint truck that had the "modified" engine.
This not that truck, but a like picture.
TRUCKid_m887_cucv_02_500_zps44bba264.jpg

I presume by the pictures you mean the LA 318 amd not the old Polysphere 318. They were good too. Just remember to decarbon the choke crossover.

65Goat

Any ideas what this is? I know it's Mopar, but no idea on make and model. It appears to have had some sort of "ornamental" hood scoops. It looks like it could have been a pretty mean car back in the day.
DSCN3006.jpg

texan

Any ideas what this is? I know it's Mopar, but no idea on make and model. It appears to have had some sort of "ornamental" hood scoops. It looks like it could have been a pretty mean car back in the day.
1968 Dodge Coronet?

65Goat

I think you guys hit the nail on the head. The Super Bee had a special hood, but doesn't seem to match the one in the picture. Also, in the picture there looks like some faint stripes on the rear quarter. It could also be a shadow, but I don't see any other shadows on the car.