on the truck before start time

wolfman

great post and welcome to brown cafe.
No one listens, but soon we will see a thread sayin " I was just checking out my load and broke my ankle, Ups said I wasnt on the clock yet, so they wont pay me, what do I do?

tooner,
thank you for your response and welcome. i started to think that no one was paying attention. it really is not all about the lost money for working off the clock but also when someone is injured.
And for those who think your covered for a period of time before and after your on time hours thats not true. slip on ice on your way to your car in the parking lot and see what happens!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Working off the clock to fix a bad load is sort of like your doctor using white-out on your chest x-ray to hide a tumor. Both actions will, at least temporarily, conceal the underlying problem; both actions will also prevent the underlying problem from ever getting solved.

If you feel that your day will go smoother and better by you helping to load the truck in the morning, then there shouldnt be a problem with that as long as you are on the clock. There is no reason why any employee should be expected or allowed to work off of the clock. Period.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sometimes all this running around takes 30-40 minutes extra time, but i get paid for it, so what the hell.

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner~!!!!!

And when ups gets tired of you being 30-40 minutes over planed day, then they will do something about the load. Until then, why worry, get paid.

Wolfman

welcome as well.

you are correct, unless you are on the clock, you do not, repeat do not draw comp for an injury at ups. if you do, it is workers comp fraud, and can result in several people getting fired for dishonesty and quite possibly jailed. Workers comp fraud is a very serious issue.

One more issue that will come up soon is a lawsuit that will force ups to back pay the workers that ups has been allowing to work off the clock. I figure it ought to hit close to 100 million or more.

Again, its not the hourly that need to pay attention to this as much as the sups that allow this behavior that need to listen up.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...Again, its not the hourly that need to pay attention to this as much as the sups that allow this behavior that need to listen up. d

In as much as drivers working off the clock benefits mgt they have no incentive to stop this practice and, as we have read here, encourage it. This is where the steward needs to grow a set and do his job. Period.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
quote]off the clock benefits mgt they have no incentive to stop this practice and, as we have read here, encourage it.[/quote]

They do benefit by the action. And that is the basis for the problems that will arise down the road.

This is where the steward needs to grow a set and do his job. Period.

And this is where i disagree to a point. management uses this single item more than any other to drive a wedge between the drivers and the union. and the drivers and stewards as well.

It is one of their favorite ploys to go up to the offending driver and in their best humble tone explain that because of the driver filing on them working off the clock, they have to get off the truck.

But if it were not for that no good, low down, nosy shop steward that wants to push their own personal agenda on the other drivers, they would not have a problem with the drivers working all day off the clock.

All this, while at the same time they signed a contract that states THEY will not allow...... Please note, no where does it say it is a union enforcement responsibility.

Not to mention it is against labor laws as well.

And that is why i disagree with you on it being a steward issue, because its not.

Its a ups/hourly worker issue where neither one follows policy.

Period.:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Based on recent words that have gone back and forth I clarified that so you would not misunderstand what I was saying. It was not meant as a sarcasm at all. :happy2:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Based on recent words that have gone back and forth I clarified that so you would not misunderstand what I was saying. It was not meant as a sarcasm at all. :happy2:
Yeah I got your meaning, didn't think it was sarcasm. Glad we can all act like adults... (most of the time :D )

:cheers:

S

speeddemon

Speed

I had a truck that had a tire that went almost flat every 24 hours. So instead of telling the mechanics about the problem, i go in and inflate the tire every day. i do this for 3 years, because for some reason the mechanic does not give a rats behind about the tire going flat? Maybe cause all i did was tell him the truck is a peice of crap?

That is your logic. You might have mentioned the load to your sup, but without details (the load stinks, nothing is it its place, etcetcetc is not information, its complaining), the sup really cant do anything.

Stay off your truck, get a note pad and write down every package that was not loaded correctly, as you get to it or make the delivery. Be very specific as to the problem with that package and where it is on the truck, or other issues with that package.

I know this will take time, but something worth having or fixing is worth it.

Then hand that to the delivery sup or center manager and they will get the clue as to why your production on road dropped. Then if they do not address the problem with the load, who's problem is it that you can not run the production they demand.

Do the same thing the next day, and the next until it is fixed.

Again, if they do not fix your load, then who's problem is it?

Also, i have never ever met a loader whos load improved because the driver came in early to help load the car. They get used to you doing the work for them, many start stacking out packages a half hour or more before you show up, knowing you will catch them back up.

All of which really screws the cover driver who actually does things by the book.

d

Your wrong. I and my fellow drivers have communicated with our supervisors on the problems, and nothing is done. my customers deserve service, not excuses. Sometimes we are required to do more than just what is expected. Its called going over and beyond....well just have to agree to disagree on this one.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Your wrong. I and my fellow drivers have communicated with our supervisors on the problems, and nothing is done. my customers deserve service, not excuses. Sometimes we are requird to do more than just what is expected. Its called going over and beyond....next.

That's above and beyond, but be that as it may, how are you helping the customers by sorting your car off the clock?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I wish I could come in early everyday and fix my first 25 stops in order without being paid so I can be quick and look like I got it all together

BUT I DONT

BECAUSE

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO IT

IT'S CALLED BEING A UPS DRIVER - WE DON'T DO THAT

Overpaid Union Thug

Sorting off the clock shouldn't be aloud. Plain and simple. I almost wish that drivers weren't aloud on the dock at all until after start time. I just don't see how anyone in their right mind would want to work off the clock. The people that "doctor their loads" off the clock are the same fools that work through their lunches and drive 15 miles over the speed limit through neighborhoods every day.

S

speeddemon

Wow, such hostility. Idiots, "I" never said I did it off the clock. People with your mentality should work for GM and suffer the long term consequences of it. Grow Up.

Overpaid Union Thug

Wow, such hostility. Idiots, "I" never said I did it off the clock. People with your mentality should work for GM and suffer the long term consequences of it. Grow Up.

But you did imply that there is justification for drivers to work off the clock. So, I guess that job at GM is calling your name as well? LOL!

BigBrownSanta

Next year I plan on having wood flooring installed in my house. Any of you guys that like to work off the clock wanna stop by and give me a hand? I can't pay much, but I'm sure that will be ok since you like working for free anyways. Also I will need some painting around the house, tiling in the bathroom and just a little landscaping project or two...:laughing: