on the truck before start time

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
the issue is not that you got paid the same because you are on bonus, the issue is you changed your start time. therefore you are not working off the clock, you are on the clock.

now, if you did not change your start time because you are expecting the bonus to make up the difference, you are working off the clock.

please note, i did not say you are working for free. i understand bonus. but you are working off the clock, and as such leave yourself wide open for a lot of things, not any of which are good.

besides, the company has a policy, and a statement in the contract that they will not allow you do work off the clock.

d
You guys have mistaken what I said. Not a big deal. I didn't change my start time by changing it in the diad. I Changed it by working off the clock and letting the bonus pay me (indirectly)for my time worked. When I said "I changed my start time" it was ment that I worked the same amount of time and was paid the same way if I did the situation one way or another. It was 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other the upside being my day started earlier and ended earlier.

Trust me .....if the center wasn't paying me the bonus time I was getting I would not have sorted my truck hence worked for free.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Did you actually change the start time in the board? By reading what you wrote it sounds like you are trying to explain that since you made bonus on the end of your day in essence you were paid for massaging your load.
You hit the nail right on the head, driver.

If I hadn't gotten the bonus in my check then I would have been working for free in my book.

Someone needs to open the next can of worms and ask " how many people work thru their lunch and are coded 06 in the diad" if you want to talk about working for free.

stringerman85

You hit the nail right on the head, driver.

If I hadn't gotten the bonus in my check then I would have been working for free in my book.

Someone needs to open the next can of worms and ask " how many people work thru their lunch and are coded 06 in the diad" if you want to talk about working for free.

Especially on Fridays. The guys who are on complete OT the entire day from working slow the whole week can allow themselves to skip lunch to get home early

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
You guys would be so proud of me, on Friday I organized a little in the truck before start time, but stopped before I was done and waited until the PCM, then I went back to sorting and organizing. I realize I still worked off the clock, but I made some progress to not doing it anymore. Give me a little bit of slack here, I'm trying haha.

stringerman85

You guys would be so proud of me, on Friday I organized a little in the truck before start time, but stopped before I was done and waited until the PCM, then I went back to sorting and organizing. I realize I still worked off the clock, but I made some progress to not doing it anymore. Give me a little bit of slack here, I'm trying haha.

Hey, you were thinkin of us :happy-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
do any of you realize(as i said in previous post) that if you get hurt, you not only gave away money by working for free but you are costing yourself money in benefits(comp vs disability)? this is a safety issue-plain and simple. cover your a..!
great post and welcome to brown cafe.
No one listens, but soon we will see a thread sayin " I was just checking out my load and broke my ankle, Ups said I wasnt on the clock yet, so they wont pay me, what do I do?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Give me a little bit of slack here, I'm trying haha.

If you had not been taught wrong, you might never have developed the bad habits you are now needing to unlearn.

Since you have been there a year, you should have the confidence to know down deep you are a good ups driver. And dont let them tell you different.

I Changed it by working off the clock and letting the bonus pay me (indirectly)for my time worked

Working off the clock is working off the clock. No matter how you try to coat the story, you were working off te clock.

As for those that skip their lunch, two people working off the clock at different times of the day, and one falsifying their time card too boot?

And in your mind, which one is doing the right thing?

d

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
If you had not been taught wrong, you might never have developed the bad habits you are now needing to unlearn.

Since you have been there a year, you should have the confidence to know down deep you are a good ups driver. And dont let them tell you different.
Yeah you're right about having to unlearn habits... it's a hard thing to do but I'm workin' on it.

I do know I'm a good driver. I feel like the level of attention I pay to details, about how I can make my day go better, service the customers better, manage my time efficiently, etc etc is above and beyond some of my fellow drivers. On two routes that I've covered and run quite a bit, going at a regular pace (not running stops off, not skipping lunch, etc etc), I have done the route so much faster and in less miles than the normal driver that they did performance audits on that driver. They were kinda annoyed about it but, I don't know what to tell them.

When I first started I used to run a lot, skip most of my lunch, and just in general do things wrong haha. Over time I have slowed down a lot, just trying to get a more manageable pace going. I never skip my lunch anymore, and I try to not jog while doing residentials (unless I'm blocking the middle of the road and there's traffic). Because of peak season my pace has increased quite a bit, but will calm back down after X-mas.

You guys like what the policy for the day after Christmas is? Only delivering the send agains from Christmas Eve? That ought to be a pretty damn short shift haha. I am hoping I won't have to work it though so I can go do something for the holidays.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Yeah you're right about having to unlearn habits... it's a hard thing to do but I'm workin' on it.

I do know I'm a good driver. I feel like the level of attention I pay to details, about how I can make my day go better, service the customers better, manage my time efficiently, etc etc is above and beyond some of my fellow drivers. On two routes that I've covered and run quite a bit, going at a regular pace (not running stops off, not skipping lunch, etc etc), I have done the route so much faster and in less miles than the normal driver that they did performance audits on that driver. They were kinda annoyed about it but, I don't know what to tell them.

When I first started I used to run a lot, skip most of my lunch, and just in general do things wrong haha. Over time I have slowed down a lot, just trying to get a more manageable pace going. I never skip my lunch anymore, and I try to not jog while doing residentials (unless I'm blocking the middle of the road and there's traffic). Because of peak season my pace has increased quite a bit, but will calm back down after X-mas.

You guys like what the policy for the day after Christmas is? Only delivering the send agains from Christmas Eve? That ought to be a pretty damn short shift haha. I am hoping I won't have to work it though so I can go do something for the holidays.
Very good. Just keep working on that.

Send agains and air. Should be a relatively light day. Unless you are fairly high on the seniority list you can probably count on working. We will have 6-8 drivers working. Normally have 17 rtes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are no pickups Christmas Eve so we will only be delivering what is in the system in addition to any send agains. As far as the short shift goes, I wouldn't get too excited as they will be cutting a lot of areas, combining work and pickups.

In our center they take all of the pkgs out of the "look up" room and put them on the belt on Christmas Eve so that hopefully someone will recognize either the consignee or the address and we can get that pkg delivered before Christmas. Our OMS clerks will then make every effort to contact those consignees of any pkgs still left in building to ensure we get them delivered.

In our building, lately, more than 50% of the packages brought to the clerks are postcarded. They (the clerks) rarely call a phone number on a package or verify a correction made by using the computer data base ( I forget the acronym).

S

speeddemon

I may not speak for everyone, but part of the reason why I see drivers in there trucks before thier start time is simple. If you have a loader that doesnt give a rats :censored2: about his load, unless you go through it, looking for the 5-6 misloads there is a day, reordering the load because its NEVER in the proper order, and repositioning packages to better use the trucks space so I can maneuver safely, it would ALL be on you. Well driver, why did you have missed packages, late NDA, and why did you strain that back. While a do ultimately agree, no work should be performed off the clock, I wouldnt have to get in the package car early to do your job for you, so that I can do MINE properly. If I did all this on road, then I get nailed for production. Thats just not right. No matter what your job is, do it right, the FIRST time, so no one will have to come behind you and do it again. Just my two cents.

I may not speak for everyone, but part of the reason why I see drivers in there trucks before thier start time is simple. If you have a loader that doesnt give a rats :censored2: about his load, unless you go through it, looking for the 5-6 misloads there is a day, reordering the load because its NEVER in the proper order, and repositioning packages to better use the trucks space so I can maneuver safely, it would ALL be on you. Well driver, why did you have missed packages, late NDA, and why did you strain that back. While a do ultimately agree, no work should be performed off the clock, I wouldnt have to get in the package car early to do your job for you, so that I can do MINE properly. If I did all this on road, then I get nailed for production. Thats just not right. No matter what your job is, do it right, the FIRST time, so no one will have to come behind you and do it again. Just my two cents.
I don't totally disagree on your principle Speed.
The theory is that if you don't fix your load off the clock then your production will suffer, then management will have to fix the real problem. However, I've yet to see that happen.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Speed

I had a truck that had a tire that went almost flat every 24 hours. So instead of telling the mechanics about the problem, i go in and inflate the tire every day. i do this for 3 years, because for some reason the mechanic does not give a rats behind about the tire going flat? Maybe cause all i did was tell him the truck is a peice of crap?

That is your logic. You might have mentioned the load to your sup, but without details (the load stinks, nothing is it its place, etcetcetc is not information, its complaining), the sup really cant do anything.

Stay off your truck, get a note pad and write down every package that was not loaded correctly, as you get to it or make the delivery. Be very specific as to the problem with that package and where it is on the truck, or other issues with that package.

I know this will take time, but something worth having or fixing is worth it.

Then hand that to the delivery sup or center manager and they will get the clue as to why your production on road dropped. Then if they do not address the problem with the load, who's problem is it that you can not run the production they demand.

Do the same thing the next day, and the next until it is fixed.

Again, if they do not fix your load, then who's problem is it?

Also, i have never ever met a loader whos load improved because the driver came in early to help load the car. They get used to you doing the work for them, many start stacking out packages a half hour or more before you show up, knowing you will catch them back up.

All of which really screws the cover driver who actually does things by the book.

d

AT Hiker

In working 25 years for UPS I never once went down to my truck on my own time. Had no reason to as I was in no hurry to get back in the evening. If I had to sort (every day) I did it on their time not mine. If I ran over (never checked the standards) but was told I did daily then I told them to change the standards. And so the battle went on continuously. Just damn glad I'm outta there.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I am the middle truck in a group of 3 that our loader loads. Even on area I am between teh two guys so I get to be the middle man. If any of us have "walked in wrong cars" then I will transfer them between us. First I meet up with a driver who leaves at 7:15 to run early am's and I bring out the work left behind on the belt for his trip. we try and sort through for misloads but can't always get through them all. I will try and go through my load by 11am and meet up with the driver on one side of me and retrieve his WIWC's and give him mine. Then when i am closer to the other side of my area, near the 1st guys area, I will take his stuff to a designated drop-off point on his area where he does a pickup and drop his stuff and p/u anything that was left for me. And I get paid to do all this running around. Much better than sorting through before PCM and not getting paid for it.

Sometimes all this running around takes 30-40 minutes extra time, but i get paid for it, so what the hell.