On this Day

texan

Yup, just received confirmation via facebook :

373279_10267666955_683868585_q.jpg

Molson Canadian

Today celebrates the first time beer was sold in cans. Beer Can Appreciation Day - a day we can all appreciate. Cheers!

a day we "can" all appreciate. On purpose?
Shame the company is gone now that put them in cans.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You could pour beer into the Holy Grail, it would still be poison.

Oh how we worship the things that destroy us.
If it was poured into the holy grail it would turn into wine and then you'd be a connoisseur!

Maybe there should be a rating by whoever wants to participate........On a scale of 1 to 10, with one being the most important, where would you rank beer in your life?

Now, I'll just wait & see.

texan

If it was poured into the holy grail it would turn into wine and then you'd be a connoisseur!

Maybe there should be a rating by whoever wants to participate........On a scale of 1 to 10, with one being the most important, where would you rank beer in your life?

Now, I'll just wait & see.
Beer 10

klein

Für Meno :)
Better (not word for word translated), it means : Wine after beer, I`ll suggest that to you, Beer after wine, let that be.
Germans really believe in that golden rule (Which means you can drink wine after you have drunk beer, but never drink beer after you have drunk wine) !

klein

Liquor before beer; you're in the clear.
Beer before liquor; you've never been sicker.

Never heard that one before (unless it was a long time ago), but I never did follow that rule - actually the opposite most times. First beer, then maybe some rum to warm up in these cold winter days.

klein

On this day, 25 Jan 1924, First Winter Olympics was held in French Alps.
More sports today :

Today in Sports History...

1924 - The first Winter Olympic Games, also known as the Winter Olympic Festival, were inaugurated in Chamonix in the French Alps. Sixteen countries sent 294 athletes to compete in five sports and thirteen events. Canada's only medal was a Gold in ice hockey defeating Team USA.

1953 - Gordie Howe scored a goal and added two assists to bring his NHL regular season caree...r point total to 400 as the Red Wings tied Montreal, 3-3 in Detroit. Alex Delvecchio chipped in with three assists

1981 - The Oakland Raiders beat the Philadelphia Eagles 27-10 in Super Bowl XV. The Raiders won the Super Bowl after entering the playoffs as a wildcard team.

1988 - Rickey Green of the Utah Jazz scored the 5 millionth point in NBA history.

1998 - The Denver Broncos beat the Green Bay Packers 31-24 in Super Bowl XXXII. The Broncos had lost 3 previous Super Bowl appearances with quarterback John Elway. The win also broke the 13 game winning streak of the NFC. Terrell Davis was named MVP.

texan

On this day 26 Jan 1985, Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers) became the first NHL player to score 50 goals in
49 games.

klein

On this day 26 Jan 1961, Wayne Gretzky was born.

Wow, I didn't even know that !
Mark Messier (the Moose)- Gretzky's long time Teammate, is born around this day, too, in the same hospital as me, around the same day, too. I probably came across him as a baby, and may even have gone to school with him.
(had somewhat of a tough childhood and went to 5 different schools and neighborhoods within less then 6 years).
And back then the city was much smaller, not even 1/2 million population then - closer to 1/3 !

texan

On this day 26 Jan 1962, "The Twist" ends record-setting run at #1.
The Twist" turned Chubby Checker into an overnight success when it shot to the top of the
Billboard pop chart in September 1960. As all hit records do, "The Twist" then faded away. The dance
craze it popularized did, too, as America's teenagers moved on to things like the Mashed Potato and the Pony.
A full year after the initial success of "The Twist," a gossip item in the New York papers placed actress Merle Oberon
and the elderly exile Prince Serge Obolensky of Russia at the Peppermint Lounge, Twisting the night away.

Suddenly a fad was reborn—this time among American adults, who took to the Twist with an alacrity that
must have provoked uncountable cringes among their teenaged children. Soon enough, "The Twist" began
a remarkable second run up the charts, reclaiming the #1 spot on January 13 and finally relinquishing
it on this day in 1962. It was the first and only time a pop single has fallen completely out of Billboard's "Hot 100"
only to re-attain the #1 spot in a completely separate release.

texan

Wow, I didn't even know that !
Mark Messier (the Moose)- Gretzky's long time Teammate, is born around this day, too, in the same hospital as me, around the same day, too. I probably came across him as a baby, and may even have gone to school with him.
(had somewhat of a tough childhood and went to 5 different schools and neighborhoods within less then 6 years).
And back then the city was much smaller, not even 1/2 million population then - closer to 1/3 !
He was the Michael Jordan of hockey.

texan

On this day, 26 Jan 2005, Bush appoints Rice as secretary of state.
Bush appointed Condoleezza Rice to the post of secretary of state, making her the highest ranking African-American woman
ever to serve in a presidential cabinet.