On this Day

texan

On this day, 6 Feb 1935, The popular board game Monopoly® went on sale for the first time.

Over 200 million MONOPOLY games have been sold worldwide. More than five billion little green houses
have been "built" since 1935.

moreluck

golden ticket member
On this day, 6 Feb 1935, The popular board game Monopoly® went on sale for the first time.

Over 200 million MONOPOLY games have been sold worldwide. More than five billion little green houses
have been "built" since 1935.
Little 'green' house success !! Let Obama know the secret!

moreluck

golden ticket member
On this day, 6 Feb 1911, Ronald Reagan is born.

Ten Reagan quotes:
10. “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
—Remarks at a business conference, Los Angeles, March 2, 1977
9. “You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”
—The Observer, March 29, 1981
8. “Thomas Jefferson once said, “We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.’ And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying.”
—Circa 1988
7. “I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I’m in a cabinet meeting.”
—Said often during his presidency, 1981-1989
6. “How do you tell a communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin.”
—Remarks in Arlington, Virginia, September 25, 1987
5. “The government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
—Remarks to the White House Conference on Small Business, August 15, 1986
4. “I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself.”
3. “All great change in America begins at the dinner table.”
—Farewell Address to the Nation, The White House, January 11, 1989
2. “I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
—The New York Times, September 22, 1980
1. “There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.”
— First Inaugural Address, January 21, 1981

texan

On this day, 7 Feb 1775, Benjamin Franklin publishes "An Imaginary Speech"

Franklin responded to the three-pronged critique with his usual wit and acuity. Noting that the colonial population
had increased while the British population had declined, Franklin concluded that American men must therefore
be more "effectually devoted to the Fair Sex" than their British brethren.

texan

On this day, 7 Feb 1964. Beatles arrive in New York.

On February 7, 1964, Pan Am Yankee Clipper flight 101 from London Heathrow lands at New York's
Kennedy Airport--and "Beatlemania" arrives. It was the first visit to the United Statess by the Beatles, a
British rock-and-roll quartet that had just scored its first No. 1 U.S. hit six days
before with "I Want to Hold Your Hand."

Two days later, Paul McCartney, age 21, Ringo Starr, 23, John Lennon, 23, and George Harrison, 20, made
their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, a popular television variety show. Although it was difficult
to hear the performance over the screams of teenage girls in the studio audience, an estimated
73 million U.S. television viewers, or about 40 percent of the U.S. population, tuned in to watch.

texan

On this day, 7 Feb 1970, LSU star Maravich scores 69 points in single game.

In 1970, Maravich was the third overall pick in the NBA draft and signed with the Atlanta Hawks
for the then-astronomical sum of $1.9 million.

moreluck

golden ticket member
On this day, 7 Feb 1970, LSU star Maravich scores 69 points in single game.

In 1970, Maravich was the third overall pick in the NBA draft and signed with the Atlanta Hawks
for the then-astronomical sum of $1.9 million.
Pistol Pete!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Happy birthday Zsa Zsa ! I met both Zsa Zsa and Steve Allen and according to this story Steve Allen will be a guest at her party.....being dead must not have stopped him from RSVP'ing...................

Zsa Zsa Gabor turns 95 Monday amid health woes - Yahoo! News

texan

On this day, 8 Feb 1986, Spud Webb wins dunk contest.

Spud Webb who at 5’7” was one of the shortest players in the history of professional basketball, wins the NBA
slam dunk contest, beating his Atlanta Hawks teammate and 1985 dunk champ, the 6’8” Dominique Wilkins.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ten Reagan quotes:
10. “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
—Remarks at a business conference, Los Angeles, March 2, 1977
9. “You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”
—The Observer, March 29, 1981
8. “Thomas Jefferson once said, “We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.’ And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying.”
—Circa 1988
7. “I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I’m in a cabinet meeting.”
6. “How do you tell a communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin.”
—Remarks in Arlington, Virginia, September 25, 1987
5. “The government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
—Remarks to the White House Conference on Small Business, August 15, 1986
4. “I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself.”
3. “All great change in America begins at the dinner table.”
—Farewell Address to the Nation, The White House, January 11, 1989
2. “I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
—The New York Times, September 22, 1980
1. “There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.”
— First Inaugural Address, January 21, 1981

You forgot----"Your Fired!!!"---said to the air traffic controllers.

texan

On this day, 9 Feb 1942, Daylight saving time instituted.

On this day, Congress pushes ahead standard time for the United States by one hour in each time
zone, imposing daylight saving time--called at the time "war time."

Daylight saving time, suggested by President Roosevelt, was imposed to conserve fuel, and could
be traced back to World War I, when Congress imposed one standard time on the United States to
enable the country to better utilize resources, following the European model.

It was repealed Sept. 30, 1945, when individual states once again imposed their own "standard" time.
It was not until 1966 that Congress passed legislation setting a standard time that permanently
superceded local habits.

texan

On this day, Feb 11 1990, Underdog Buster Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson.

Nicknamed “Iron Mike,” Tyson intimidated other boxers with his fast, powerful punches. Going into the
February 11, 1990, match with Buster Douglas, Tyson seemed invincible and was considered a 42-1 favorite to win.
However, from the start, Douglas managed to dominate the fight. He was said to have been motivated by the
pain of his mother’s death several weeks before the match. Tyson, on the other hand, didn’t seem to have
his heart in the fight, although he knocked Douglas to the ground at the end of the eighth round. Douglas was
able to get back up and went on to knock out Tyson and win the fight in the 10th round of the scheduled
12-round match. His victory was considered one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.

klein

Für Meno :)
On this day, 9 Feb 1942, Daylight saving time instituted.

On this day, Congress pushes ahead standard time for the United States by one hour in each time
zone, imposing daylight saving time--called at the time "war time."

Daylight saving time, suggested by President Roosevelt, was imposed to conserve fuel, and could
be traced back to World War I, when Congress imposed one standard time on the United States to
enable the country to better utilize resources, following the European model.

It was repealed Sept. 30, 1945, when individual states once again imposed their own "standard" time.
It was not until 1966 that Congress passed legislation setting a standard time that permanently
superceded local habits.

Didn't know that. We sill have one province that sticks with standard time all year round (Saskatchewan).

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Arizona(with the exception of the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii are the only states in the U.S that do not observe DST. The U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa also do not observe DST.

Read more: What states don't observe daylight saving time
Very good. And I do have to say that it is a pain in the ass to have to deliver to the Navajo Nation during their observance of day light savings. :panicsmiley:

texan

On this day, 12 Feb 1879, The first artificial ice rink opened in North America. It was at Madison Square
Garden in New York City, NY.

texan

On this day, 12 Feb 1993, according to Billboard Magazine, the number #1 song was Will Always Love You, by Whitney Houston.

Billboard's #1 Song on This Date in History