On Topic: Maintenance with Integrity

Integrity

Binge Poster
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Work Related Issue: Maintenance with Integrity

I have noticed many things broken and the general condition of buildings that I have been in are very, very dirty.

I have noticed the same things broken for long periods of times.

UPS calls the department in charge of maintaining and cleaning the buildings the Plant Engineering Dept.

Do you think the Plant Engineering Department in your area maintains and cleans the Building with Integrity or not?

I

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
My building is pretty dirty most of the time. As are the package cars. No one writes anything up on them and leaves trash in the bracket where the trash can used to be. Pretty annoying, but it goes with the UPS theme for this year...."NO ONE CARES ANYMORE".

km3

Do you think the Plant Engineering Department in your area maintains and cleans the Building with Integrity or not?

Nothing short of a belt catching fire gets maintenance's attention anymore. The people who clean do a pretty good job though, considering how big the building is and what they have to work with.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I have noticed many things broken and the general condition of buildings that I have been in are very, very dirty.

I have noticed the same things broken for long periods of times.
This is because discrepancies get reported so much and for so long and yet, nothing gets done people lose hope and stop reporting, accepting the fact that whatever discrepancy was noted is now normal.

Dr.Brownz

This is because discrepancies get reported so much and for so long and yet, nothing gets done people lose hope and stop reporting, accepting the fact that whatever discrepancy was noted is now normal.

Yep it's :censored2:. They have everyone convinced that crappy working conditions are normal

Last edited by a moderator:

Integrity

Binge Poster
If in house reporting mechanisms fail then what is the obvious next move.

Integrity

Binge Poster
My building is pretty dirty most of the time. As are the package cars. No one writes anything up on them and leaves trash in the bracket where the trash can used to be. Pretty annoying, but it goes with the UPS theme for this year...."NO ONE CARES ANYMORE".
How dirty?

Dr.Brownz

The first step in solving the problem is for employees to learn their legal rights and employer's legal responsibility.

Indeed. Getting people angry about a problem will motivate them to learn ways to solve the problem. UPS uses a certain set of methods to brainwash it's employee's into it's perverse system of values, leading to an acceptance of said :censored2: working conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The first step in solving the problem is for employees to learn their legal rights and employer's legal responsibility.
For once, I actually agree with Integrity.
A safety issue in the area I work in is the location of the belt switches to stop and start the belts. I work next to a worktable which is situated alongside one of the main belts that slopes from shin level up about 30 feet high. The only shut off switch for that belt hangs from a swinging cable above the actual belt and behind my worktable (i have to climb on top of the table and reach over the moving belt to hit the switch to break jams).

Jams are one thing....but If that belt had to be shut off in an emergency....the location of the switch and the path to it should be unobstructed. Pointing that out to management elicits nothing but a blank stare.

Shocking.