(On Topic Only Please) Ever experience Stewards who appear more sympathetic to UPS than they do the employees.?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Over my several decades of experience as a UPS Teamster I have always found it problematic when union stewards are more sympathetic to the company side than they are the employee side.

I have definitely experienced this on multiple occasions.

Anyone else experience union stewards that appear to be company men and not union men?

Nah
Over my several decades of experience as a UPS Teamster I have always found it problematic when union stewards are more sympathetic to the company side than they are the employee side.

Anyone else experience union stewards that appear to be company men and not union men?
Yes. I've seen every kind. Stewards who are indifferent towards you or your rights as an employee, stewards who made deals with management for personal gain (time off for example), stewards who did the best and most honest job they could, regardless of their personal opinion about the company, and stewards who hated the company so much they give members bad advice that could get them in trouble.

Through it all I learned the best use of a steward is as a witness in meetings. Beyond that, that I was better off filling out and filing my own grievances and going directly to my BA with questions or concerns.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Had a steward lie to me before. That was fun.
Back when I was green he told me they could take me off my bid route at most twice a week for production reasons.

qdg2

One of our stewards spends so much time in the ORS's office.....I asked them directly if they had been promoted....

This person is very low on seniority and has a pretty crappy feeder experience(to me......).

Our Safety Co-Chairs had to be stewards. Between that and union business....well.....see?

They also managed to become an ASST. BA........

I was actually told by the Steward: "You can't talk to them(mgt.) that way...." Meaning.....Me: " You guys are going to get someone killed with your lax security" Me: "Someone is going to get killed with all these people running stop signs and doing 30 mph on the yard"

in say a safety meeting with the Division Mgr sitting there....

See....a steward so far up the patoot of mgt. with a sweet office gig....answers to mgt.......has to....to survive. And stay out of the cab.....

I've often asked: "who's side are you on?".

Up In Smoke

I've been a steward for more than 25 years and a handful of times I've had to slap some manners on a fellow teamster. I will fight tooth and nail for the member, but I've had drivers leave area by 20 miles to take lunch at home, have sex in the package car in a public parking lot (the lot had cameras) and show up to work drunk. Just when you think you've seen it all, think again. Oh yeah, had a feeder drive text FU to his supervisor until he ran out of characters.

qdg2

I've been a steward for more than 25 years and a handful of times I've had to slap some manners on a fellow teamster. I will fight tooth and nail for the member, but I've had drivers leave area by 20 miles to take lunch at home, have sex in the package car in a public parking lot (the lot had cameras) and show up to work drunk. Just when you think you've seen it all, think again. Oh yeah, had a feeder drive text FU to his supervisor until he ran out of characters.
How many times did you have to slap some manners on mgt?

Up In Smoke

How many times did you have to slap some manners on mgt?
I like to use the contract to prove my point. Pissing on the desk and screaming at them only shows I can be manipulated. By the book, step 1: make management aware of their contractual obligation. Step 2: present the concern as a grievance. Step 3: Forward to business agent. Step 4: Present grievance and supporting docs at local level ect. I have found making them answer at every step is the most effective slap I can dish out.

35years

Gravy route
Stew should not be a gossip. No one else needs to hear about screw-ups.
Stew is there to advocate for the member, not a "peace maker" unless in member's best interest.
Stew should be able to advise without stepping on the member.
Stew should empower the members using experience so they also learn to fight for themselves.
Stew should NEVER ask for, or receive special favors (short days etc.)
Stew should be willing to advocate for members even if B.A. won't.

In 35 years of driving, about 1/5 of stewards fit the above conditions

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Stew should not be a gossip. No one else needs to hear about screw-ups.
Stew is there to advocate for the member, not a "peace maker" unless in member's best interest.
Stew should be able to advise without stepping on the member.
Stew should empower the members using experience so they also learn to fight for themselves.
Stew should NEVER ask for, or receive special favors (short days etc.)
Stew should be willing to advocate for members even if B.A. won't.

In 35 years of driving, about 1/5 of stewards fit the above conditions
Most are not competent on contract issues or too easily intimidated by management. Sadly, the younger stewards fit these categories mostly. Some are good, but you need seasoned drivers. Even then it’s no guarantee.

RTW FTW

I’ve only dealt with BAs (2) that are more sympathetic to UPS. I’d explain but it’s so unbelievable no one would believe me, due to the absurdity. That’s why I handle myself and opted out of the union.
What’s the point of trying to “organize” and fight the good fight if the local targets you for complaining on the good ole boys? It’s a joke that I’ll never be a part of again.
I had a steward accuse me of WP violence, which he and management then colluded to write statements of my actions. Luckily, I knew how dirty they were and recorded the conversation. Reinstated with full back pay, after they hired deputies to guard the building for two weeks, for pageantry I suppose.
If you’re in a state that allows one party consent, it’s recommended to CYA and record the disciplinary meetings. Unless you’re in a strong local, which I’ve heard exists.
The union has become the very thing they supposed to protect us from, a greedy business. Anyone who doubts this is lucky to be a part of a decent local.
I fought them alone and succeeded once I learned the union’s services were no longer needed. I can get fired for free, no need to pay for help with it.
Right to work laws are necessary. The union brainwashes people to say otherwise. If there’s no reason to actually represent people to get money, it easy to see it’s not a good investment to do it. I’ve witnessed more positive outcome once people said “I’ll drop out then”.
I don’t advocate playing that card for every issue. But if there’s black and white issues that the union refuses to genuinely help with, what’s left to try? And if they get things done once that is said, why did it take that threat?
Teamsters can eat a big one. The founders of the union would be ashamed to say the least. They’d make everyone of these clowns disappear

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I’ve only dealt with BAs (2) that are more sympathetic to UPS. I’d explain but it’s so unbelievable no one would believe me, due to the absurdity. That’s why I handle myself and opted out of the union.
What’s the point of trying to “organize” and fight the good fight if the local targets you for complaining on the good ole boys? It’s a joke that I’ll never be a part of again.
I had a steward accuse me of WP violence, which he and management then colluded to write statements of my actions. Luckily, I knew how dirty they were and recorded the conversation. Reinstated with full back pay, after they hired deputies to guard the building for two weeks, for pageantry I suppose.
If you’re in a state that allows one party consent, it’s recommended to CYA and record the disciplinary meetings. Unless you’re in a strong local, which I’ve heard exists.
The union has become the very thing they supposed to protect us from, a greedy business. Anyone who doubts this is lucky to be a part of a decent local.
I fought them alone and succeeded once I learned the union’s services were no longer needed. I can get fired for free, no need to pay for help with it.
Right to work laws are necessary. The union brainwashes people to say otherwise. If there’s no reason to actually represent people to get money, it easy to see it’s not a good investment to do it. I’ve witnessed more positive outcome once people said “I’ll drop out then”.
I don’t advocate playing that card for every issue. But if there’s black and white issues that the union refuses to genuinely help with, what’s left to try? And if they get things done once that is said, why did it take that threat?
Teamsters can eat a big one. The founders of the union would be ashamed to say the least. They’d make everyone of these clowns disappear

Freeloading is never the answer.

You could go into management or find a non union option in this industry if you don't want to be in the union, but benefiting from years of union negotiated pay and benefits without paying, wrong in my opinion.

RTW FTW

You could go into management or find a non union option in this industry if you don't want to be in the union, but benefiting from years of union negotiated pay and benefits without paying, wrong in my opinion.
Go into management lol. That’s an idea, especially since they colluded to terminate me too.
Freeloading not the answer? So I should leave because the union fails to follow contract and helps get rid of people?
That’s silly. If it’s left to me to take care of myself, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.
There’s not one person that works a union job that’s be set up by the union itself and say, “well I guess I’ll go get me a non union job. Hate to take advantage of the pay and bennies.”
The dues are a phenomenal deal for what you supposed to get. Loyalty is a dealbreaker prerequisite tho.
I’ve done more for union employees than the Schemesters ever have in our building. It was eye opening seeing how dirty they were.

RTW FTW

As a matter of fact, it should read turncoats in locals are unacceptable. Benefiting from sacrifice of many men and women, to only coast in the position.
I wanted to be in the union. I was more proud to be in the union that at ups when I was hired. Took about a decade to learn how the good ole boy club works.
I’d never go in management. I have integrity and self respect. That being said, I respect management more than this local’s leadership. At least they openly come after you, never leaving any doubt.
The fight I put up to both of them is my crowning achievement. Wouldn’t change anything.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Were you one of those stewards?

....and was that when you developed your shtict?

RTW FTW

Were you one of those stewards?

....and was that when you developed your shtict?
Negative. I was never a steward. They targeted me early due to my depression. Took me a long time to evolve, realizing not only do people not have your back, they OPENLY conspire with management. It’s truly unbelievable.
I played the long game and it worked out for so well I’m thankful for their nonsense. But that doesn’t help the next guy coming up, learning the hard way.
Here shortly I’ll post the local and name each clown. A bit of a process, as things are still unfolding.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Negative. I was never a steward. They targeted me early due to my depression. Took me a long time to evolve, realizing not only do people not have your back, they OPENLY conspire with management. It’s truly unbelievable.
I played the long game and it worked out for so well I’m thankful for their nonsense. But that doesn’t help the next guy coming up, learning the hard way.
Here shortly I’ll post the local and name each clown. A bit of a process, as things are still unfolding.
Please don’t post any names. I get that you’re frustrated with your local, but that’s a TOS violation, and just gets things way to messy here.

Have you contacted your business agent? Sometimes when you are having trouble with a steward, it can be beneficial to talk directly to someone at the hall.