"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Aren't there laws about smoking in a shared work area?
I know there is a sign in my truck in Ohio. Nobody bothers me if I have a few during the day, but if I am at work I am not in my comfort zone, I am working. And if I have a shared area, it goes by the other persons rules not mine. If he/she smokes, no prioblem. If he/she does not, I wont.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know there is a sign in my truck in Ohio. Nobody bothers me if I have a few during the day, but if I am at work I am not in my comfort zone, I am working. And if I have a shared area, it goes by the other persons rules not mine. If he/she smokes, no prioblem. If he/she does not, I wont.
My Momma raised me to have courtesy, this is a big one.

I hate the smell of cigarettes. They make me sick as well but the op trying to imply that this teamster whether he's a good one or not is intimidating him could be construed as some sort of work place violence issues makes me cringe.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Number one it is a company rule, number 2 it is common courtesy to not smoke around people it bothers. I dont get why you are picking on the OP. Yes he sounds whiny, but to a person that doesnt smoke, he has a point, it is nauseating.
I'm not saying chain smoke...but if the driver had one or two...I'd deal with it for the day. Common courtesy and understanding works both ways....it's not like the driver has the time to stop and stand outside the.truck to smoke during the.day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I hate the smell of cigarettes. They make me sick as well but the op trying to imply that this teamster whether he's a good one or not is intimidating him could be construed as some sort of work place violence issues makes me cringe.
Well, he wouldn't stop smoking or let the OP off the car, allegedly?
What would you call it?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Smoking in a vehicle , shared space, especially if it is a state law to not smoke in commercial vehicles, could be a bigger problem than your teamster buddy, and very well considered workplace violence, in the mere lighting of a smoke. This aint the 60s.

PT Car Washer

Smoking in a vehicle , shared space, especially if it is a state law to not smoke in commercial vehicles, could be a bigger problem than your teamster buddy, and very well considered workplace violence, in the mere lighting of a smoke. This aint the 60s.
I agree but since the OP is a seasonal UPS will just move the seasonal to another driver.

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
I'm smoking. My car. My rules. If it bothered the helper, I'd tone it down, but there's no way I'm going cold turkey for ten hours in December. There's always another helper to offend tomorrow.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I'm not saying chain smoke...but if the driver had one or two...I'd deal with it for the day. Common courtesy and understanding works both ways....it's not like the driver has the time to stop and stand outside the.truck to smoke during the.day.
The driver gets 1 hr lunch or 1/2 hr depending on the contract. And 10 minute breaks. He/she needs to exit the car to smoke. Whats the deal? Ok I started smoking when my Mother told me the nicotine would kill a toothache. My dentist smoked while he cleaned my teeth. Different world. We are Old who can remember this. The woman beside me when I had my first child in a hospital smoked. Now we all know its a death sentence, some will escape unscathed others wont. Its only a few more days, smoke a few less and do every one including yourself a favor. END

Overpaid Union Thug

It is common courtesy.
Nowadays it should be called "Uncommon Courtesy". I can't believe some of the comments I've read attacking the guy for complaining about cigarette smoke. Must be smokers. Smokers tend to be selfish when it comes to that filthy habit and don't care how it affects others. So sad. But none of this should matter. Smoking isn't allowed on the trucks. So don't freakin smoke!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I question the OP's assertion of being "allergic", but if it's true, how does that fit into your version of common courtesy and understanding?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello, I just put in 9 hours today with a driver who chain smoked two packs of cigarettes.
When I was hired as a driver helper I informed the HR personnel that I am very allergic to the smoke from burning cigarettes and presented medical documentation proving I cannot be around it.

Today when I was picked up the driver was smoking as I approached the car for the days work at the pickup point. I informed him about my problem, and agreed to not smoke. Ten minutes in he begins to smoke again. I complain, he says he "needs to smoke to get through the day". I asked him to stop, he refused to stop smoking again stating " I need this to get through the day I have over 140 stops ".

I also felt threatened because when I began to have breathing problems and requested to be let out of the car to go home, he refused saying he needed my help and if I did not help he would not be home until 11PM. He was a very large, intimidating driver and I felt unsafe as he was very aggressive. He is a new package car driver with only one month on the job.

Are there rules about smoking in the cars? I was not told of the policy of UPS regarding this aspect during orientation. When I call in tomorrow I need to tell them I need a driver that does not smoke as I get very ill from it.

I would like some advice regarding what I should do to insure my safety so I can work hard in a safe environment. I work in Massachusetts.
Here's the two problems I have with your dramatic story. First, why on earth would you, upon being hiring, provide "medical documentation" to UPS regarding your alleged allergy to cigarette smoke?? That's lie #1

If you wanted to leave and go home....at any point, why didn't you use your cell phone to call the.helper coordinator and explain the.situation? Or if u didn't have a phone....ask the driver to call on his phone?
or get off the truck and call a cab?
I believe that possibly the driver refused to drive back and drop you at the pickup point when you asked....but at no point were you prevented from walking away or did he "intimidate" you from leaving.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here's the two problems I have with your dramatic story. First, why on earth would you, upon being hiring, provide "medical documentation" to UPS regarding your alleged allergy to cigarette smoke?? That's lie #1

Because smoking in the package car is against the law and company rules?

If you wanted to leave and go home....at any point, why didn't you use your cell phone to call the.helper coordinator and explain the.situation? Or if u didn't have a phone....ask the driver to call on his phone?
I believe that possibly the driver refused to drive back and drop you at the pickup point when you asked....but at no point were you prevented from walking away.

Because they didn't want to leave, rather work and earn money in a legal, safe and healthy work place?
Too much to ask from this weak minded driver?

This seems to be hitting a little too close to home for some addicts.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I question the OP's assertion of being "allergic", but if it's true, how does that fit into your version of common courtesy and understanding?
I agree that the driver could have made an effort to smoke less that day.
Butt the driver has a job to do, whether I as a helper am on the truck or not. This is his workspace.... My job is to make his day easier and deliver packages.
If I was that miserable being around smoke...I would've stuck it out for the.day and asked the.coordinator to be sure to pair me with a non-smoker from now on.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I believe that possibly the driver refused to drive back and drop you at the pickup point when you asked....but at no point were you prevented from walking away or did he "intimidate" you from leaving.
Why should he have to quit, because someone smokes? Its a habit, its not an essential life function. I should be on the other side of this argument, but I am not. Allergies to smoke is very real. Is there any wonder when there are enough chemicals in them to kill a horse. Maybe they are not as hardened as us smokers. I know if I dropped off a helper because he would not let me smoke, I would be fired. I am not a selfish smoker. I smoke and I hate it, except when I love it, and I still hate it. I certainly wont lose my livelihood over it. And all the smokers need to smoke a few less for 6 more days and get over yourselves.

Wizzy

I'm a nonsmoking driver and helper who smoked 2 pks a day. Told him straight up leave your door open Ill let you know when we're driving far enough to enjoy your smoke. Why can't we all just get along!!