"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Hey, god bless anyone who sucessfully quit....you're a stronger person than me. Like tooner said....i hate smoking....i really do, until I love it
I quit smoking many years ago,..I simply asked my daughters " Do you want Daddy to quit smoking ?" they said yes. I haven't picked up cigarette since that time, that was over 15 yrs. ago, and I was a pack a day or better smoker

rod

Retired 22 years
Has it really gotten that sad that a temporary helper can dictate what a full time driver can do? I haven't smoked in 25+ years but I would never dream of insisting someone else not smoke in a place it was legal to. I would put on my big boy pants and get a different ride or move on. As far as I know the drivers who smoke still can in their trucks around here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Has it really gotten that sad that a temporary helper can dictate what a full time driver can do? I haven't smoked in 25+ years but I would never dream of insisting someone else not smoke in a place it was legal to. I would put on my big boy pants and get a different ride or move on. As far as I know the drivers who smoke still can in their trucks around here.
It isn't "legal" in any sense of the word, nor is it being dictated solely by the temporary helper.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Used to call that hub snot. Also remember smoking in the building. Those were the days. Lol
Hub snot...lol. It's pouring out...I was standing inside a smoke area doorway smoking...no one cares.
CAM00068.jpg

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
I'm at work as we speak...the air is cloudy with exhaust as the sups move the rentals and PC's around....lol, Quick...someone call OSHA.
I used to be a jam breaker. Was constantly going places in the hub that hadnt been touched by human hands in many moons. Stirred up awful dust clouds. Inhaled that crap for years. Maybe I'll get mesothelioma and go all class action on UPS. HA!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I used to be a jam breaker. Was constantly going places in the hub that hadnt been touched by human hands in many moons. Stirred up awful dust clouds. Inhaled that crap for years. Maybe I'll get mesothelioma and go all class action on UPS. HA!
I'm a loader...for years I've been blowing out brownish black snot after work. Part of the job.

brown bomber

brown bomber
when I worked in the Hub as a sorter in the mid-to-late 1970's,..supervisors would walk around the hub while smoking,...but I also used to smoke in class while attending college. I had a Professor that had a "contract" w/ a student to make sure that he had cigarettes in case he ran out during class

brown bomber

brown bomber
we also used to have a particular load that came on to the sort aisle,..it was caked w/ "dust",.. not sure of where it came from or what the "dust" was

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I can view it from both sides. I used to smoke and had the attitude of my truck, my rules. Now as a nonsmoker it's still my truck my rules. I will not let a helper smoke in the truck. Not because it "offends" me or I think it's yucky, but it triggers the urge for me to fire one up. Every November / December I get the urge to visit the "old friend" and I don't need the added temptation of a helper that smokes.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
Thank you for all of the replies. I truly appreciate the positive advice given to me. I woke up at 4:30AM and am in the middle of getting ready to call in at 6AM to see where I am posted today. I am eager to work and I enjoy being outside delivering packages.
I am going to take the advice and request a driver who is a non-smoker. I am not working to get anyone in trouble or snitch on anyone, I bust my ass for the drivers when I work, not only is it law as I have found out in Massachusetts but it's my right to a safe workplace.

Yes, I did not do my homework in regards to the law before hand. But now I know thanks to some kind posters here and I thank you for helping me.

I would like to clarify something, I have several severe allergies and when I am exposed to cigarette smoke my eyes flush with tears, my breathing becomes very difficult, I start to sneeze almost uncontrollably and my nose runs like a river. This has nothing to do with being "whiny" and not liking the smell of the smoke. The smoke is very dangerous to me. That is what I meant when I said I presented medical documentation to the HR person when I was hired. It says clearly on there how detrimental to my health the smoke is. I assumed HR would be professional and pair me with non-smoking drivers. I guessed they missed it - or dismissed it as not serious even though the documentation was right in front of them from my doctor.

After about an hour of trying to endure the smoke, I literally could not catch my breath and I demanded the driver stop the car or I was going to call 911. Please remember I had already asked him to return me to the pickup point less than a mile after getting picked up and he refused saying he needed me or he would be out till 11PM. I was on the verge of panic that is why I had to threaten 911, I have passed out in the past due to allergic reactions and I knew I was on that road. This finally got his attention and he stopped and I just got out to breathe. I then asked to be taken back to where he picked me up and he refused, told me to ":censored2: off bitch you are blacklisted just like the last 7 I had", then peeled away leaving me on the side of the road. Shocked at the unprofessionalism I sat down on the side of the road to catch my breath and then call my husband at his job to come pick me up.

I am not here to fight other posters or snitch on drivers, even as one as profoundly stupid as this one. He was out there trying to provide for his family and so am I. I bust my ass for the drivers and I take pride in getting the job done as fast as possible for them so we can both go home sooner. It's not out of line to demand a safe work environment.